Sheffield Wednesday games on Pay Per View this season

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I've paid for Now TV a few times in the past so I can watch Wednesday games that are on Sky, and that gets you 24 hours of Sky Sports for a tenner (it was a few quid less last year or the year before). You can watch it on two devices as well, meaning that you can share your login with a family member or a friend and split the cost to a fiver each.

For effectively half the price, you're not only getting far better coverage of the Wednesday game, with pre-match, half-time, and post-match analysis, but you can watch at least one if not two other games as well, plus whatever other programmes Sky have on that day on any of their sports channels.

£10 to watch a game on ifollow doesn't seem great value in comparison to that.

I do get that but its economies of scale - the cost can be lower because folk are already paying via the subscription for the product 

Anyone watching on Now TV is basically all profit to Sky.

To me the difference is that you are watching a game that is not ordinarily available in the UK (legitimately).

The production costs cannot be cheap either, even though I presume that is shared with Sky / EFL.

7 minutes ago, torryowl said:

nah not for me .......i have a strong dislike of the build up to games on tv and even bigger one at half time .

I guess I have got used to logging in early, not necessarily watching it or more on other social media but its about enhancing the offering that might suit other users looking for value for money.

But post match I have usually shut down the computer immediately on the final whistle in disgust 

9 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

This poor experience with ifollow is a funny one.

I hear it quite a bit.

I’ve had a season pass every since since it started and apart from the first ever game and a small handful inbetween then and now I’ve never experienced any issues

To be honest that's just a minor point, the ones below it on my list are more significant.

3 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I do get that but its economies of scale - the cost can be lower because folk are already paying via the subscription for the product 

Anyone watching on Now TV is basically all profit to Sky.

To me the difference is that you are watching a game that is not ordinarily available in the UK (legitimately).

The production costs cannot be cheap either, even though I presume that is shared with Sky / EFL.

That's all fair enough, but as a customer, it just doesn't feel like great value for money in comparison.

I've paid it so far, but there's no way I'm forking out £460 on top of the audio commentary subscription to watch every Wednesday game on ifollow this season. I'll have to start picking and choosing which games to stump up for once the novelty wears off.

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's all fair enough, but as a customer, it just doesn't feel like great value for money in comparison.

I've paid it so far, but there's no way I'm forking out £460 on top of the audio commentary subscription to watch every Wednesday game on ifollow this season. I'll have to start picking and choosing which games to stump up for once the novelty wears off.

I suppose as someone who has basically done enough miles coming to home games since 1997 that equate to 2 cars - it seems not bad value 😀

Just now, mkowl said:

I suppose as someone who has basically done enough miles coming to home games since 1997 that equate to 2 cars - it seems not bad value 😀

I have to travel to games myself and fork out a decent amount on train fares, but watching us play in front of an empty stadium on ifollow and a day out at the game just aren't comparable in my opinion.

Everyone will have their own take on it of course, but I don't hesitate to pay to take my seat at Hillsborough, but I do when it comes to paying on ifollow; I just don't value it nearly as much.

• Like 1

I watched all the games from last season, but not bothered this season. IFollow are a bunch of crooks and make it deliberately hard to unsubscribe. They kept charging me for audio subscription after I cancelled, so I won't have anything to do with them. 

To charge a tenner and not be able to watch it on a TV without a ridiculous workaround (don't have a laptop and the TV is flat to the wall with no extra hdmi access), would have been a deal breaker for me anyway. It was the EFL's decision to ban casting, but when you can watch every other sport on a TV - I find it hard to justify spending a tenner to watch a game on a phone when things are tight financially. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I have to travel to games myself and fork out a decent amount on train fares, but watching us play in front of an empty stadium on ifollow and a day out at the game just aren't comparable in my opinion.

Everyone will have their own take on it of course, but I don't hesitate to pay to take my seat at Hillsborough, but I do when it comes to paying on ifollow; I just don't value it nearly as much.

It isn't comparable for sure. I suppose i have found the transition easier because I wasn't enjoying going to the games pre lockdown 

And can see this is my way forward for midweek home games, which I have found a right chore 

So for me it represents value vis a vis the average 30 quid say my season ticket cost per game

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

I don't get why 10 quid is deemed too expensive 

Are people loathe to pay for any content these days but probably be happy to spend twice that on a pizza delivery 

It is £460 over the course of a season. i don't have pizza deliveries and the only thing apart from Council Tax that costs more than £460 is my golf club membership. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that £10 is a tad too much to be comfortable with. I think I'm kidding myself that I won't watch all the games so I will make some savings through the season and not spend the full amount. I'm basically a captive audience as I'm addicted and I even cut short my golf on a Saturday to 9 holes in spite of paying the £10 for the privilege of hiding behind the sofa while I watch.

I take your point that it is true for many people however.

2 hours ago, mkowl said:

The away games have become an almost closed shop with the priority points. I don't object to that policy but it shuts out quite a few fans that would like to see a game but can't

That old chestnut. They really haven't, ticket sales for most away games make it to fans with low TPP, general sale, or some don't sell out at all so people have ample opportunity to build up their points. The only "closed shop" games are some of the local derbies and big away games, and then the people who want to cherry pick those think they have the same right to tickets for the one or two big games a year as those who have been going away all season and then complain about it being a closed shop.

I only go to about half the away games these days, maybe a bit less, plus the home cup games, and its still been literally years since I missed out on a big away game due to not having enough TPP.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've watched all the games this season on ifollow that have been on there and it's been alright. It isn't the same as going to a game but nothing is really.

I do think the way football is broadcast will change going forward regardless of how long COVID19 is around. I can see some kind of offer being given to fans to watch games for a price on ifollow or equivalent systems. I can't see the 3PM blackout coming back. Not saying I agree with that, just feel it's heading that way.  

7 hours ago, alanharper said:

That old chestnut. They really haven't, ticket sales for most away games make it to fans with low TPP, general sale, or some don't sell out at all so people have ample opportunity to build up their points. The only "closed shop" games are some of the local derbies and big away games, and then the people who want to cherry pick those think they have the same right to tickets for the one or two big games a year as those who have been going away all season and then complain about it being a closed shop.

I only go to about half the away games these days, maybe a bit less, plus the home cup games, and its still been literally years since I missed out on a big away game due to not having enough TPP.  

As I said I don't object to the policy - it is the fairest method. My point is that it when those attractive games do sell out for away fans the option should be available in the UK to watch on Ifollow.

I've paid for a few games but not many, 2 or 3 I think. Listened to some when we've been away and radio Sheff have covered us. The others I've just followed on twitter and Jeff or not bothered. One of the things that annoys me about Ifollow is that its not quite live. I know it's only a matter of seconds but it detracts from it for me. I know in the back of my mind that I'm hoping something will happen, when in actual fact it either has or hasn't already. Add in a phone notification of a goal and it really exacerbates it. 

I'm at the point now where football is beginning to wear thin with me but it's such a large part of my life at the moment. Son plays so I'm immersed in it. I need to wean myself off it but that will leave a lot of time for me to do other stuff and I'm worried what the Mrs will decide that should be. It's not gonna be owt fun is it? 

I have not bought any games yet but a couple of things need to be sorted asap.

1) The nonsense that you can't use your TV without hooking up your computer.

2) A monthly or annual subscription that will get occasional viewers like me back into the habit. £25 a month during the football season and I will buy it 

3) When the crowds are eventually let back in there needs to be a season ticket and a membership package that includes a quality version of follow. 

Eg I pay in normal times £50 a year membership that buys me a discount on match day tickets (I go to about 3 home matches a year ) and the ability to buy tickets before general sale (that allows me to get a good seat in the North Stand)

Turn that into £250 per year including live streaming to my TV and Wednesday will be getting more money out of me than they have for years and I suspect it's the same for  thousands of others 

• Like 1

I wouldnt pay to watch on iFollow based on previous performance and reviews by others. If we are on the radio I can't even be bothered to listen to us. I'm finding there are other things to do and the concern will be that when fans are allowed back how many will have changed their habits that will make them think twice about going back to games.

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

Just a thought but instead of ten people buying it, one buys it ten mates watch it together having a few beers. Cheaper and better than watching it at home on your own?

You do know that 10 is more than 6 don’t you?