England vs Belgium

1 minute ago, Night King said:

I think you put Chillwell in for Trippier and Sterling for Mount into the starting 11 and Pope in goal we’ve got a reyt chance next Summer. 

Lots more players to choose from now, we could all name our starting 11 and I doubt anyone would pick same 11.

I'd like to see Coady in defence, with Sancho and either Foden or Grealish in a 4-3-3!

The trouble with Grealish is that Southgate was pretty much forced into calling him up in the first place. He called Kalvin Philips up before he did Grealish, which is ridiculous when you think about it. 

Tbf, I can't think of too many England sides with so many good forward type players. Oh, and so many good right backs too lol.

England have always been world class in friendlies

Absolute shitters in tournaments

Even losing to an extremely mediocre Croatia side in the WC semi's - but roundly applauded as a great effort...

You younger fans will begin to rue that day the same as i have since 1970

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scram said:

England have always been world class in friendlies

Absolute shitters in tournaments

Even losing to an extremely mediocre Croatia side in the WC semi's - but roundly applauded as a great effort...

You younger fans will begin to rue that day the same as i have since 1970

This wasn't a friendly!

6 hours ago, vulva said:

Henderson has got that personality for the top level. He will win a bag loads of caps. Fair point on CL, but Kane is a better centre forward, at the minute. Belgium have picked their best side. I don’t understand why we haven’t. 

1 hour ago, scram said:

Both played well below full strength teams and both will qualify for the euros with ease

Didn’t see the first half, apparently we were outclassed. Second half was ok. No more than that. The intensity was not that high. We definitely picked the wrong team, no matter the result I hope we don’t see that team again.

Dier is a backup at best. If we are going to play the three at the back Coady has to be in the middle. None of this favourites nonsense, we need to jettison under performers. 

Didn't watch the game fully but saw bits here and there. The fact I made tea and ate it with my family instead of sitting down and concentrating on it surprised me. Glad we won and regret not watching it now, I love it when we win, especially when all the armchair experts have been mouthing off about how bad we are and how the management haven't got a clue. Some proper clichés spouted. 

Regarding scram's point about us qualifying well then failing at tournaments, I think it was Platini that said England are lions in the winter but sheep in the summer, or words to that effect. Its the only thing I see as a positive from the utter disgrace of the next world Cup, we could be playing when our players are on it for a change. 

• Love 1

6 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

Didn't watch the game fully but saw bits here and there. The fact I made tea and ate it with my family instead of sitting down and concentrating on it surprised me. Glad we won and regret not watching it now, I love it when we win, especially when all the armchair experts have been mouthing off about how bad we are and how the management haven't got a clue. Some proper clichés spouted. 

Regarding scram's point about us qualifying well then failing at tournaments, I think it was Platini that said England are lions in the winter but sheep in the summer, or words to that effect. Its the only thing I see as a positive from the utter disgrace of the next world Cup, we could be playing when our players are on it for a change. 

Yep.

Always get the impression that England players would rather be on holiday that playing a tournament.  

They always seem knackered and nowhere near in the right place mentally. 

Dare I say, they don't seem as bothered about playing for their country as other nations players are, and that they dont have that pride that provides the determination and conviction needed to gain the ultimate success? 

We can beat anyone in friendlies and qualifying..comes to big summer tournaments and we get dicked due just not having enough cojones basically..Our players are good enough ability wise,  I genuinely believe that, but are they fit enough and mentally strong enough at tournament level? 

Last WC, we wouldn't have beaten Colombia if they had James in the team, and kept 11 men on the field. That's the kind of fortune that got us through to the semis. 

A team can still win a game and, be worthy of criticism.

We beat Belgium by virtue of a heavily deflected goal and, a serious of awful misses on their behalf.

We played 3 at the back with 2 centre halves who play as a 2 for their club and, a RB playing centre back.

We didn’t select arguably the best English centre half this year. Who also happens to play week in week out in a 3. It makes absolutely no sense. It’s arguably harder to play in a 3 if you have very little experience doing so. I felt we left far too much space between the back line and, were lucky to get away with it. Carrasco should have had a hat trick.

Southgate can’t continue to ignore Jack Grealish. He’s exactly what we haven’t had in an England shirt for a generation. Comfortable on the ball, able to receive the ball in tight areas, on the half turn and drive at defenders. He frightens the opposition to death.

Far too often we sit and play in front of a set defence, players like Grealish and Foden have the ability to put them on the back foot and, make them make a decision. Panic creates space, which results in goals.

Guest Mcguigan
22 hours ago, SiJ said:

The trouble with Grealish is that Southgate was pretty much forced into calling him up in the first place. He called Kalvin Philips up before he did Grealish, which is ridiculous when you think about it. 

Tbf, I can't think of too many England sides with so many good forward type players. Oh, and so many good right backs too lol.

Not sure why is it ridiculous. Phillips wasn’t called up instead of Grealish, they’re completely different players.

On 11/10/2020 at 17:29, SallyCinnamon said:

I am so sick of 3-5-2.

Why does every manager think they have the players to pull it off? Guardiola did it by spending money on players who can do it. Now every manager think they can be a budget Pep.

Pep has rarely played 3-5-2 during his managerial career.

23 hours ago, fudge27 said:

Trippier did well 2nd half, but his line was poor at times and that's cos he's a right footer on the left, which he's never done in his career before

We do have alot of attacking talent, but if we are playing with effectively 7 defensive minded outfield players and none of them have the capability to link midfield and attack we don't get the opportunity to release the attacking talents we have as much as we should. 

Belgium are good, but denayer, boyata and mignolet showed they can be exposed

Southgate said he asked Trippier to do an unfamiliar job and trusted him to do so. Chilwell wasn't available because he was a covidiot last week and Saka wasn't great on his England debut and would have been a big ask defensively against Belgium.

Belgium beat us easily twice in the World Cup and it looked on the cards again, give Southgate credit for managing to address things at half-time as we were much better 2nd half. 

23 hours ago, Night King said:

I think you put Chillwell in for Trippier and Sterling for Mount into the starting 11 and Pope in goal we’ve got a reyt chance next Summer. 

I wouldn't go that far. 

We will be organised and carry a threat up top but the better teams also have that but have more in midfield and at the back.