Breaking- Premier league re structure

24 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

My ideal blueprint of what I want football to be is basically the exact opposite of what it has become. 

1) Scrap the Premiership.  One organisation for ALL league clubs, all of which have an equal say.

2) ALL TV rights negotiated by this organisation, and shared equally between all league clubs by division, regardless of where they finished and how much they have been on tv.   There should be much less live televised football in general, the emphasis should be on ticket money and the local fans rather than trying to flog the product overseas.   

3) Salary caps for everyone.  If you want to pay an agent, it comes out of YOUR salary. 

4) MUCH less European football.  The Champions League to go back to a cup structure for champions only.  Scrap the Europa League or whatever they call it these days and reintroduce a Cup Winners Cup.  European football should be a reward for success and a novelty for the fans, not the bread and butter of football. 

5) Something done about youth football to encourage clubs to develop their own players and prevent a few clubs from hoovering up every promising youngster in the country and beyond. 

6) Football clubs should be football clubs, with local fan ownership.  They should not be an attractive investment for speculators looking to make a bit of cash, or tools for dodgy foreign oligarchs to buy respectability in the West or launder their money through. 

7) All domestic league matches should be at 3pm on a bloody Saturday afternoon. 

Problem is, you can't make teams agree to it.... Hence the prem breakaway in the first place

35 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

My ideal blueprint of what I want football to be is basically the exact opposite of what it has become. 

1) Scrap the Premiership.  One organisation for ALL league clubs, all of which have an equal say.

2) ALL TV rights negotiated by this organisation, and shared equally between all league clubs by division, regardless of where they finished and how much they have been on tv.   There should be much less live televised football in general, the emphasis should be on ticket money and the local fans rather than trying to flog the product overseas.   

3) Salary caps for everyone.  If you want to pay an agent, it comes out of YOUR salary. 

4) MUCH less European football.  The Champions League to go back to a cup structure for champions only.  Scrap the Europa League or whatever they call it these days and reintroduce a Cup Winners Cup.  European football should be a reward for success and a novelty for the fans, not the bread and butter of football. 

5) Something done about youth football to encourage clubs to develop their own players and prevent a few clubs from hoovering up every promising youngster in the country and beyond. 

6) Football clubs should be football clubs, with local fan ownership.  They should not be an attractive investment for speculators looking to make a bit of cash, or tools for dodgy foreign oligarchs to buy respectability in the West or launder their money through. 

7) All domestic league matches should be at 3pm on a bloody Saturday afternoon. 

Sounds great. Are you familiar with the work of Pol Pot?

I am keeping out of this debate about Premiership cutting down to 18 or even 6 clubs. Let the money talk. It will eventually choke the top six, especially with lack of competition.

What I would be against is this break-away league having ANYTHING to do with the Football League.. If they want to break away, so be it .Their fans will be the ones who decide, by their attendance or not. 

What I would definitely object to, is for them to have any say whatsoever in FL affairs. No parachute payments. No PL 'B'teams in the FL, and a premium to be paid for the signing of any player connected to the FL

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Plonk said:

How's  about just debating and saying which aspects of his idea you disagree with and why?

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

35 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

How's  about just debating and saying which aspects of his idea you disagree with and why?

I agreed with all of it. But it’s never going to happen. It does sound like turning the clock back forty years, to when football was great. Hence my pol pot joke. Sorry if it was a bit too subtle

Edited by Plonk
2 hours ago, Plonk said:

Didn't say it's realistic.  Just my ideal to compare developments in football to re whether they make things 'better' or 'worse'. 

It is almost always 'worse'. 

1 hour ago, owlinexile said:

Didn't say it's realistic.  Just my ideal to compare developments in football to re whether they make things 'better' or 'worse'. 

It is almost always 'worse'. 

If only we could go back to proper football. I’m with you all the way on that pal. Sorry if my joke fell flat. Wasn’t meant as a dog as I totally agree with you. My missus always used to say the trouble with you is you’re the only one who thinks you are funny, which is not what you want to hear as a stand up comedian

Edited by Plonk

EFL have rejected the PLs 50 million loan. 

In many ways, the 50 million loan can be viewed in similarly cynical tones to operation powergrab. 

It only applied to League One and Two, but no such finance to the Championship. 

Of course, many of those in the PL wouldn't want teams in the division below getting too much in the way of assistance. After all, teams in the Champ are gunning for a place in the PL. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Hope this gets some traction, then we might finally see progress. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54558837

The big picture just gets murkier and murkier, and is now descending into farce about who was involved and who said what. Parry is obviously trying to distance himself from it now it’s got the reaction it has. One thing is very clear. He has to go.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Plonk said:

The big picture just gets murkier and murkier, and is now descending into farce about who was involved and who said what. Parry is obviously trying to distance himself from it now it’s got the reaction it has. One thing is very clear. He has to go.

It's obviously going to take Government intervention as the game is incapable of reforming itself. Bring it on!

2 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

It's obviously going to take Government intervention as the game is incapable of reforming itself. Bring it on!

The way they have handled the covid crisis, I really don’t think that would be a good idea. They would probably decide the team finishing bottom of league two should be promoted to the premiership.

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, Plonk said:

The way they have handled the covid crisis, I really don’t think that would be a good idea. They would probably decide the team finishing bottom of league two should be promoted to the premiership.

It'd be one way for us to get back! lol

• Haha 2

Another update on this - plans are now being put in place by the PL big boys to create a European super league. Definitely not surprising. Should all keep a close eye on this as it will completely change the structure of the game in this country, for better or for worse. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12109174/european-premier-league-liverpool-and-manchester-united-in-talks-for-fifa-backed-tournament

1 minute ago, Sefton owl said:

Another update on this - plans are now being put in place by the PL big boys to create a European super league. Definitely not surprising. Should all keep a close eye on this as it will completely change the structure of the game in this country, for better or for worse. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12109174/european-premier-league-liverpool-and-manchester-united-in-talks-for-fifa-backed-tournament

Great news.  Means will be some really decent games on TV for those who are bothered by that sort of thing  , and for rest of us we can do without those teams and the wallopers that support them. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

They are welcome to do it for me as long as it means they are completely excluded from all forms of domestic competition.  Let the Chinese and Arabs have their TV football and we can start the process of getting our domestic game back. 

• Like 7