Breaking- Premier league re structure

12 minutes ago, Lyndon said:

Yes saw that too and promoted my reply above.  Can't believe he can come out in support of it without discussing with the club's he is supposed to represent. He should be shown the door and go and join the PL if they wil have him

Watched this as well, I'm no body language expert but when answering questions of a power grab, he kept looking away from the camera. Clear sign that he wasn't telling the truth.

There is no reason the PL couldn't offer this rescue package without having to restructure the voting rights.

I suspect it will just lead to the big 6 getting a larger slice of tv income in future, similar to Spain where Real and Barca rule the roost.

• Like 1

Wonder what the two teams who are going their place think about it?

will they relegate 4 teams at once, three teams over two seasons or just not promote anyone for a season

the last one means that no extra teams would be relegated so i suppose they can say that no one in the PL will lose out

Just now, Brommers said:

Watched this as well, I'm no body language expert but when answering questions of a power grab, he kept looking away from the camera. Clear sign that he wasn't telling the truth.

There is no reason the PL couldn't offer this rescue package without having to restructure the voting rights.

I suspect it will just lead to the big 6 getting a larger slice of tv income in future, similar to Spain where Real and Barca rule the roost.

The proposition mentions that they want so many games exclusive on their own PPV coverage. That’s the way it’ll go. Each club flogging there own PPV through a streaming service. 

David Conn is missing the whole point. 

Yes, this money might help keep some clubs from going bust.  That's the blackmail part.   In exchange for some money to keep them going, they are agreeing to turn the entire football pyramid into nothing more than a support structure for the handful of clubs the money men seem to be 'important', and lock that structure in permanently.  A source of lesser teams to job against Man Utd for the TV cameras.  Somewhere to send players on loan where nothing 'important' is at stake, and opposition for their 'B' teams to play against, as soon as they are able to force that through.  No hope that another club will ever do a 'Leicester' and disrupt their happy little cartel. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

OR

As I have been saying all along since this was uncovered, that this was the long term plan all along and the EFL simply looked for the best possible person to be able to deliver this project and employed Parry to take care of it

It happens so much in business I think it's the most likely scenario

That implies EFL have a plan and no evidence of this. The proposals damage all those in Champioship without exception. This would imply it is a lower leagues shaping plans as they would be helped out at expense of Championship clubs. If you believe this you really do not have any idea of what is going off.

This plangives power to the few over all football and fact Parry worked for Liverpool who are one of main instigators of this proposal says a lot. The proposals have an aroma about them which is unhealthy as a lot of what Parry has been doing at EFL.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, room0035 said:

For me the proposal are a joke, they are holding the EFL existence over a barrel then demanding we give the top 6 teams all the power in the land.

The only positive from the system is they have finally admitted that parachute payment need to be scrapped and the income the EFL get compared to the Premier League is a complete joke.

But the scrapping of the League cup and the charity shield and making the league smaller. This is not to reduce games, if you wanted to reduce game get rid of the pointless international friendlies this will save you probably 8 games a season and give back 8-10 weeks wasted for international breaks.

No Man Utd and Liverpool are only interest in friendly in Asia and the USA as they will line their pockets more.

Can someone explain to me though if those in power is based on tenure in the league why are Man City one of the nine as they are way down the league in 11th behind Newcastle, West Ham and Aston Villa.

I'm pretty sure the Premier League don't arrange international friendlies. 

Also, is your final question serious? 

16 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

How many teams other than the top 6 or so elite clubs have actually won the Premier League since it was formed? I can only think of two, Blackburn and Leicester, who were both financed substantially, don't forget Leicester overspent whilst getting to the Premier League and Blackburn almost went bust not long after their brief success. 

Those clubs have mostly dominated the honours and Champions League qualification ever since the formation of the Premier League. 

1992/3 - 2019/20                                                  1964/5 - 1991/2

BIG SIX      THE REST                                            BIG SIX      THE REST

League Champions               26                 2  (one since 1995)                             18                10

(runners up)                    24                 4  (none since 1997)                           14                14

(third place)                    23                 5  (none since 2003)                           13                15

FA Cup                                   25                 3                                                          22                6   

League Cup                           19                 9  (two since 2004)                             13                15

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Well at least there is a proposal , it probably is a take or leave situation for the EFL  but I suspect some premier league clubs will not be happy and changes may have to be made

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Brommers said:

I'm pretty sure the Premier League don't arrange international friendlies. 

Also, is your final question serious? 

Because they want to engineer a system where it is impossible for them ever to be behind such lesser clubs. 

11 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

1992/3 - 2019/20                                                  1964/5 - 1991/2

BIG SIX      THE REST                                            BIG SIX      THE REST

League Champions               26                 2  (one since 1995)                             18                10

(runners up)                    24                 4  (none since 1997)                           14                14

(third place)                    23                 5  (none since 2003)                           13                15

FA Cup                                   25                 3                                                          22                6   

League Cup                           19                 9  (two since 2004)                             13                15

It's a similar pattern across Europe - power and honours consolidated amongst a few big clubs.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

It's a similar pattern across Europe - power and honours consolidated amongst a few big clubs.

The inevitable b@stard son of unbridled capitalism and star/celebrity culture.

• Like 2

When you look at the money side of things, you realise just how devious they have been. 

Yes, it's £250million up front, and a share of future TV money, but:

1)No more parachute payments

2) Funding 2 fewer teams

3) All future TV contracts negotiated jointly so, say, the Championship would no longer be able to sell its own TV rights to compete with the Premier League. 

4) No vital League Cup income for smaller clubs 

5) EFL has to take corporate sponsors from the Premier League - no selling their own rights, all advertising boards everywhere will be the same like international matches, no local businesses supporting their club etc.  (incidentally no more Elev-8 or D-Taxis, so I suppose that's something). EFL teams will be unable to raise their own funds. 

It's an absolute stitch up. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

The inevitable b@stard son of unbridled capitalism and star/celebrity culture.

Capitalism requires an independent regulator to ensure the 'freeness' of the market and make sure the contracting parties deal with each other fairly. 

What this is is essentially what happens when that regulator is actually also a cartel of the nine largest operators in the market. 

• Like 2

I do not understand the focus on jealousy of the Big 6 / 9 in so many comments. Its not like we are in the Premier League and have any voting rights there  that we would be losing. We are in the second tier, maybe headed for a long stay in the third tier. The current economic structure of the Championship is impossible. This proposal offers some prayer of an actual rational economic structure to the EFL, and would probably offer the best chance of a level playing field that would permit a return. Whining about the evils of the big greedy kids seems not that productive. And probably that demand will be the first to go, because the rest of the PL wont accept it. 18 teams, no League cup both seem like trivial issues.

I sure am glad Neil took away the neg button.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Hamakua Pueo said:

I do not understand the focus on jealousy of the Big 6 / 9 in so many comments. Its not like we are in the Premier League and have any voting rights there  that we would be losing. We are in the second tier, maybe headed for a long stay in the third tier. The current economic structure of the Championship is impossible. This proposal offers some prayer of an actual rational economic structure to the EFL, and would probably offer the best chance of a level playing field that would permit a return. Whining about the evils of the big greedy kids seems not that productive. And probably that demand will be the first to go, because the rest of the PL wont accept it. 18 teams, no League cup both seem like trivial issues.

I sure am glad Neil took away the neg button.

Not everything is about the immediate short-term situation of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club. 

• Like 6