15 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Never trust a man who sells dead parrots.

Oh bugger..

Sorry Sarge just realised I put that post you quoted in the wrong thread that was for someone else...1195583854_images(12).jpeg.fa6d7036e391ab3b7183e8603dfd1729.jpeg

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Oh bugger..

Sorry Sarge just realised I put that post you quoted in the wrong thread that was for someone else...1195583854_images(12).jpeg.fa6d7036e391ab3b7183e8603dfd1729.jpeg

Give us a clue? It’s on the tip of my tongue.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Apologies to the OP, but his first football  love is / was Hallam FC, and under the professional code it’s dem Blades. He’s long been associated with both clubs because of articles about him when he lived in London and acknowledged he was happy when either Sheffield club won. 

Yes. Spot on.

Read interview with him where he said he grew up near Hallam FC and so went there.

His first professional game was the dark side and he stuck with them.

When he moved to London he started going with a friend to watch football and watched both Sheffield teams when they were in London.

He is a blvde but is happy for us to win because he identified football with Sheffield.

If you doubt his love for the game watch the Ripping Yarns episode he made 'Golden Gordon'.

He's also a nice guy, open, warm and friendly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Strange he uses United's colours to take the mick thou , 8-1,  8 bloody 1, 8 goals, four of them from back passes to the goalkeeper . 

5 hours ago, keefdave said:

He's not a Wednesday fan, he's a very naughty boy.

When he mentions United, he's Biggus Dickus

:bullen:

Edited by edmontonowl
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

Over the years there's been some debate on here whether Michael Palin is an Owl or if he'd gone over to 'the dark side'.

Just seen 'Around the World in 80 days' where on day 2 he's helping the Venice rubbish collectors, when he finds an old trophy in the rubbish he holds it aloft and exclaims 'Sheffield Wednesday' - so there it is, proof Michael Palin IS an Owl!

WAWAW

10 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

He’s just a nice fella who got in the public eye for the right reasons. 

The unkindness shown to him on here is embarrassing.

It is. Never heard anyone say a bad word about him. Some great comedy moments and years of interesting TV/film while remaining down to earth.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

Over the years there's been some debate on here whether Michael Palin is an Owl or if he'd gone over to 'the dark side'.

Just seen 'Around the World in 80 days' where on day 2 he's helping the Venice rubbish collectors, when he finds an old trophy in the rubbish he holds it aloft and exclaims 'Sheffield Wednesday' - so there it is, proof Michael Palin IS an Owl!

WAWAW

I have heard Michael Palin declare his allegiance to the Owls on a number of occasions. He most definitely is an Owl !!!

15 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Michael was in the same year as my uncle at King Edwards. They’ve remained friends ever since, I’ve heard quite a few stories about what they and my Dad got up to as teenagers etc. McCabe is the the same group. 

Palin went to Birkdale.

Your uncle's mate from King Teds must be sick of pretending to be Michael Palin now, but it's too late to tell the truth lol

14 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Never trust a man who sells dead parrots.

Well he is certainly a survivor, he's still alive 40 years after being crucified!!

Palin definitely swings both ways. Probably more of a blade growing up but came to appreciate the finer things in life.

I've read his diaries (he published them, I wasn't stalking him) and Wednesday get numerous mentions, but United barely at all. He mentioned somebody in London talking about the Wednesday badge that he (Palin) was wearing some time in the late 60s before he was even famous, details going to a Wednesday game in London (Orient iirc) and mentions how happy he was at our promotion in 1984 and cup win in 1991.

In his TV shows he mentions both Wednesday and United at various times, if I was being cynical this was entirely deliberate to show that he had "working class northern roots" and he does have a fondness for both clubs and his home city despite being an adopted Londoner for decades. 

Anyway, I think he's great. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Palin went to Birkdale.

Your uncle's mate from King Teds must be sick of pretending to be Michael Palin now, but it's too late to tell the truth lol

Made a mug of a few people then, especially with the photos I’ve seen of them together (albeit not in a school setting).

Neighbour of mine in Gospel Oak.  See him jogging on Heath many Sunday mornings.

Always chats about Owls , knows full details of yesterday's game and is really keen Owl.

His son also a fanatic. Took him to Highbury for 1-1 cup draw when Brady equalised in 91 min ( nowt changes).

Relates in his autobiography how Owls fans fought with Gooners on Avenell Avenue after game.