Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Over the years there's been some debate on here whether Michael Palin is an Owl or if he'd gone over to 'the dark side'.

 

Just seen 'Around the World in 80 days' where on day 2 he's helping the Venice rubbish collectors, when he finds an old trophy in the rubbish he holds it aloft and exclaims 'Sheffield Wednesday' - so there it is, proof Michael Palin IS an Owl!

 

WAWAW

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Agree, he pops up later in another of his travel series on a Sheffield United decorated bus. I forget where (maybe India or Thailand) 

 

He's neither and just proud of the city he's from and nowt wrong with that. 

 

Utterly adore his travel programmes. Some of the finest TV ever. 

 

 

One of the best travelogues ever made. Yes, don't think he's much of a footy fan as you say proud of any club in Sheffield.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harrysgame said:

One of the best travelogues ever made. Yes, don't think he's much of a footy fan as you say proud of any club in Sheffield.

Totally agree. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised if he has never set foot in Hillsborough or the sty in his life.lol

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

He ‘supports’ both. In his book he writes about going to Highbury to watch Wednesday, and he mentions us / celebrated us winning the cup in 91, but he also identifies with the pigs at times.


Indeed, I recall him on a show with Frank Skinner saying he supported both but wouldn’t say so in Sheffield for fear of getting stabbed, and skinner was incredulous, pointing out that we would obviously have an array of cutlery with which to do so.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

He ‘supports’ both. In his book he writes about going to Highbury to watch Wednesday, and he mentions us / celebrated us winning the cup in 91, but he also identifies with the pigs at times.


Indeed, I recall him on a show with Frank Skinner saying he supported both but wouldn’t say so in Sheffield for fear of getting stabbed, and skinner was incredulous, pointing out that we would obviously have an array of cutlery with which to do so.

All that is correct but, if pressed, he says he was brought up a" Unitedite" so supposes that's what he is, although he "supports" both.  He's obviously not a real football fan as one couldn't support both !

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Agree, he pops up later in another of his travel series on a Sheffield United decorated bus. I forget where (maybe India or Thailand) 

 

He's neither and just proud of the city he's from and nowt wrong with that. 

 

Utterly adore his travel programmes. Some of the finest TV ever. 

 

 

I saw one episode last week, I forget where he was, but he's getting a cut throat shave from a blind guy in the street, and he says I wonder what the Sheffield United score was. 

 

Palin that is, not the blind barber. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Womble Owl said:

I saw one episode last week, I forget where he was, but he's getting a cut throat shave from a blind guy in the street, and he says I wonder what the Sheffield United score was. 

 

Palin that is, not the blind barber. 

Strangely, that very one has been on beeb 2 just now, can remember hearing that bit though, although I was only half watching.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harrysgame said:

One of the best travelogues ever made. Yes, don't think he's much of a footy fan as you say proud of any club in Sheffield.

Always looked forward to around the world in 80 days, for me nobody has been as good since.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...