England v Wales

49 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

Thought England were playing Wales not the Dog and Duck.

Giggs obviously much more adapt to nailing his brother's wife than Coaching.

Tbf they had loads of players missing too. Difference is we have a bigger pool of players to choose from where as their second string is champ/league 1 standard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0wl18 said:

I was never 100% sure, did he just look good in a team of poor players or, is he the real deal?

He’s the real deal. Fantastic first touch, glides with the ball, good end product, a proper player. I remember watching him as a kid at Notts county, he was sitting seasoned professionals down for fun. Good to see the loyalty to Villa as well. He could have gone pretty much anywhere in the transfer window.

How much of him did you see for Notts County? 

1 hour ago, Bulgaria said:

Watching Coadys face when he scored warmed the cockles. Huge beam, then hugging all his team mates.

He seems a really top bloke and very popular. Hope he keeps his place.

Brilliant to see. Plus his interview afterwards. Genuinely happy to be representing (and scoring for) his country. 

Same with Calvert Lewin. English players in fantastic form playing with a smile on their face. 

With the euros next summer in mind, I think we’ve got some excellent players on the fringes and some exciting youngsters coming through. 

From tonight’s squad Coady, Calvert Lewin, Grealish, James and Ings all excite me. Mings is someone who seems to be constantly improving. Philips doesn’t look at all out of place. 

Then the likes of Foden, Greenwood, Maddison and Sancho who all look exceptional young talents. 

Not sure Southgate is the man to unlock all of the potential there, but he’s got some great options to choose from imo. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Thought we looked good tonight. Think Pope, Coady and Grealish could be first team. Calvert Lewin looks good but difficult to get ahead of Kane.

Difficult is an understatement.... Unless Kane plays a bit deeper ala Rooney. England have a wealth of attacking midfield/forwards.... But need deeper midfielders and defenders

2 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Brilliant to see. Plus his interview afterwards. Genuinely happy to be representing (and scoring for) his country. 

Same with Calvert Lewin. English players in fantastic form playing with a smile on their face. 

With the euros next summer in mind, I think we’ve got some excellent players on the fringes and some exciting youngsters coming through. 

From tonight’s squad Coady, Calvert Lewin, Grealish, James and Ings all excite me. Mings is someone who seems to be constantly improving. Philips doesn’t look at all out of place. 

Then the likes of Foden, Greenwood, Maddison and Sancho who all look exceptional young talents. 

Not sure Southgate is the man to unlock all of the potential there, but he’s got some great options to choose from imo. 

That young arsenal kid as well

The only reason people talk about Maguire as a starting centre-back is onbecause he plays for Man U and we don't have many others. However, Cody has followed the same path (ie playing for better and better clubs). I can't see a reason why Cody shouldn't start over Maguire

3 hours ago, beswetherick said:

Grealish and Gomez are the only two who’ve played tonight that I’d have in my first XI. They’re playing against a pretty poor Wales team but I think the second string have all played well tonight, competition for places can’t be a bad thing 

Pope too. Wouldn't have Grealish, certainly not in a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3

The churn of players under Southgate is something else. Come next summer 3/4 of the squad could look very different to the one that went to Russia in 2018 and let’s not forget we thought we were building something during that World Cup.

Only Kane and Sterling If fit are the only two of the side that played regularly in Russia you’d expect to start in the Euro’s. Is it down to the large pool of talent, availability issues or Southgate not having a clue. Probably a bit of each TBH?

Edited by Jim

My problem with these new players is we've no idea if they are truly "international quality". I yearn for the good old days when internationals meant something, when if you played an Iceland or a Denmark you were getting something exotic and unknown... Nowadays you know exactly what you're going to get, you know 75% of the opposition players and you know they ply their trades in lower League / lower Prem teams or on the fringes of top teams but barely getting a look in.

To say X, Y or Z didn't look out of place on the international stage is essentially to say they're capable of playing at a lower Prem / Championship or even League One level... I should hope they are as we've got 100s of English players who fit that mould.

Philips for example is nothing special, yet he's capable of breezing through an international game against a second string Wales having played against far better opposition in the Championship last season.

International class is a label which should be reserved for players who can stand out in an international tournament playing a full string France, Spain, Germany side... We get one, maybe two of those games if we're lucky every two to four years... Everything else is banana skin fixtures against a team we know we're miles better than and should beat, only we don't necessarily because we've been lulled into thinking we've got a quality team cos these players turned it on against Wales in a friendly behind closed doors.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Burnsie said:

Difficult is an understatement.... Unless Kane plays a bit deeper ala Rooney. England have a wealth of attacking midfield/forwards.... But need deeper midfielders and defenders

I agree, we’re definitely short defensive but, we’re short of attacking midfielders at the moment as well. We only really have Foden and Maddison, both of whom don’t have a great deal of international experience. 

If Calvert-Lewin continues this form, it’ll be hard to justify leaving him out, we’ll see Kane drop deeper to accommodate or, we’ll play with a 2.

Calvert-Lewin , Ings , Pope , and in particular Grealsih all did well.

Coady was decent as was Phillips,  and James looked very comfortable when he came on.

Negatives , still not convinced with Keane....looks very clumsy , Winks was fairly anonymous and apart from the cross for the second goal I thought Trippier was poor.

Agree with Binky , next step up for Pope , Calvert Lewin , Grealish etc is to see them against stronger opposition.

Still dont think Southgate is a big fan of Grealish so his display has given him a problem................even last night he had to make a point about highlighting the weak parts of his game which i have never heard him do with other players.

10 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Still dont think Southgate is a big fan of Grealish so his display has given him a problem................even last night he had to make a point about highlighting the weak parts of his game which i have never heard him do with other players.

Noticed that in his interview. He raved about Calvert Lewin then when asked about Grealish, he seemed to want to play his performance down. 

Grealish was the best player on the pitch.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Noticed that in his interview. He raved about Calvert Lewin then when asked about Grealish, he seemed to want to play his performance down. 

Grealish was the best player on the pitch.

Maybe man management after his assessment of them as people? 

12 hours ago, beswetherick said:

Grealish and Gomez are the only two who’ve played tonight that I’d have in my first XI. They’re playing against a pretty poor Wales team but I think the second string have all played well tonight, competition for places can’t be a bad thing 

Pope too. Wouldn't have Grealish, certainly not in a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. 

If he plays if needs to be in a 4-2-3-1 or 3-4-1-2

58 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Maybe man management after his assessment of them as people? 

Could be I suppose.

Will be interesting to see how much he uses Grealish moving forward. 

He’s a player that’s been on an upward trajectory for the last year or so. If he continues in the same way, Southgate will have some tough decisions to make next summer.

Rather then 3-5-2 I think 4-2-3-1 would serve us better against stronger teams. Against Belgium I'd like to see it

Pope

TAA

Gomes 

Coady

Chilwell 

Rice

Henderson 

Sterling 

Kane

Rashford

Calvert Lewin 

Means Rice can drop deeper if needed at times to push full backs on, but the team shape with wing backs has been poor imo

1 hour ago, fudge27 said:

Rather then 3-5-2 I think 4-2-3-1 would serve us better against stronger teams. Against Belgium I'd like to see it

Pope

TAA

Gomes 

Coady

Chilwell 

Rice

Henderson 

Sterling 

Kane

Rashford

Calvert Lewin 

Means Rice can drop deeper if needed at times to push full backs on, but the team shape with wing backs has been poor imo

Rashford shouldn’t be playing ahead of Grealish IMO.

Since Greenwood burst onto the scene, Rashford seems to have gone backwards.

Fantastic player but, Grealish will be unlucky not to play Sunday in the form he’s in.