44 minutes ago, shandypants said:

The flick on was the lions share of the work. However, if you read the rest of my post you will see in the second paragraph that I exclude my bias before replying to Holmowl - how can I be less biased by stating “for the argument let’s ignore what I think and go with your argument about Rhodes’s inclusion in games bringing about the result”?  The point is, whether Rhodes is or was good, bad or indifferent, he isn’t impressing himself enough on the manager to get a starting berth; that tells me that he’s not good enough. 

I think the only person you are fooling with the lions share comment is yourself.

On 08/10/2020 at 09:01, scilly owl said:

I don’t want to dodge the question but once you’ve seen Bannister & Varadi  and Hirst & Williams it’s difficult to appraise the current crop.

Layne ( or indeed Ellis)  and Fantham was a fairly good partnership too...

I’m going to need another box of tissues...

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Elderly Owl said:

Noticed other day layneys boozer all shut up..probly been shu5 up ages don’t pass it very often..if I wer an ex top footballer I would be so bitter at this current mob gettin 200k a week

1 hour ago, Emilianenko said:

I think the only person you are fooling with the lions share comment is yourself.

You’re just completely fooling yourself to the point of delusion pal if you believe Jordan Rhodes is the answer. You can dress it up however you like but the truth is that Rhodes has failed at SWFC big time. He’s not impressing himself on Monk for some reason (I believe it’s because Rhodes is not very good) but the only person that can change that is Rhodes himself by either trying harder or changing or leaving the club. 

I’d like to see Rhodes score 15 to 20 goals for us this season because we need some value out of him but it isn’t going to happen until he impresses himself upon Monk. 

29 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

If we were allowed to delve a little; In a 4-3-3 I would have Hirst, Kovacavic and Atkinson.  

Why Kovacavic - surely Chapman or Bright? 

6 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Why Kovacavic - surely Chapman or Bright? 

1992–1994Proleter Zrenjanin      57         (37)

1994–1995Red Star Belgrade      47         (37)

1995–1996Sheffield Wednesday 16          (4)

1996–1999Real Sociedad            98          (41)

1999–2001Juventus                     63          (21)

2001Lazio                                      7           (0)

2001–2007Real Sociedad           163          (51)

2007–2009Olympiacos                 60          (31)

Total                                            482         (222

1 minute ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

1992–1994Proleter Zrenjanin      57         (37)

1994–1995Red Star Belgrade      47         (37)

1995–1996Sheffield Wednesday 16          (4)

1996–1999Real Sociedad            98          (41)

1999–2001Juventus                     63          (21)

2001Lazio                                      7           (0)

2001–2007Real Sociedad           163          (51)

2007–2009Olympiacos                 60          (31)

Total                                            482         (222

Was he suited to English football though Nev? 

12 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Was he suited to English football though Nev? 

He was like lightening and deadly. Pleat hid him for the grubby little deal he organised. Moved for £2m and then £17m in a very short space of time. Not sure but I think he scored within 30 seconds of his debut.

1 hour ago, Elderly Owl said:

ellis was a strange one 60 goals in 118 games for a team that was arguably one of the top 4 clubs in the country and with in a year they sell him to scunthorpe for£ 7,500 .......a player with record these days would have few more 000s added on the fee. ...............bronco & fants were the best ive seen .

1 hour ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

He was like lightening and deadly. Pleat hid him for the grubby little deal he organised. Moved for £2m and then £17m in a very short space of time. Not sure but I think he scored within 30 seconds of his debut.

To be honest, I can’t remember a great deal about him other than he was the first player I saw wearing socks above his knees. I can remember being relatively excited about him signing though. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, torryowl said:

ellis was a strange one 60 goals in 118 games for a team that was arguably one of the top 4 clubs in the country and with in a year they sell him to scunthorpe for£ 7,500 .......a player with record these days would have few more 000s added on the fee. ...............bronco & fants were the best ive seen .

7-2 at Old Trafford though. Ellis was unplayable ( I believe that’s the current terminology).

15 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

If we were allowed to delve a little; In a 4-3-3 I would have Hirst, Kovacavic and Atkinson.  

Is Big Ron still available Nev?