2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

....so which two?

My view - I’m of the opinion the partnership most likely to score enough goals to keep us up has Rhodes in it. 

However, we just bought Paterson as a striker so he clearly has to start the next few games. 

So, which partner? If Brown is fit I think Windass has earned a few more starts. Certainly the Birmingham game. 

If Brown is out Id play Windass in the CAM role behind Paterson-Rhodes.

Weirdly I feel Rhodes & Paterson could deliver the best returns. Rhodes has always flourished next to a partner that does the dirty work. Seems perfect, just keep Reach/Penney on the left getting decent balls into them and have Bannan or Brown or both creating from the middle.

It may not be perfect for every game but I’d expect it to work against most mid/low teams in the division and we can adjust against teams where we need more energy/endeavour with the more dynamic Windass/Kachunga. 

I’d love to see a Rhodes Paterson combo given a 5-6 game run.  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Chapman and Thompson could work.....Marwood in Browns roll...

UTO

For West Brom v Owls

Garry (scary as hell powerful goal scorer ) Thompson

For Owls v Anyone 

Garry (couldn’t hit a cow’s arris with a banjo) Thompson

Why is it so often the way with us?

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Good grief man I can't remember last weeks lineup let alone the line up from a billion years ago.

What I remember of him he scored every week, looked the spitting image of that other lad who played for us, and had a stunning looking lass on his arm when you saw him down town, especially in that pub where you thought you was outside but you wasn't.

Cracking player

Brian Joicey, David Ford? 

10 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

For West Brom v Owls

Garry (scary as hell powerful goal scorer ) Thompson

For Owls v Anyone 

Garry (couldn’t hit a cow’s arris with a banjo) Thompson

Why is it so often the way with us?

I'm not sure I've never seen anyone who could head or boot a ball as hard as Garry Thompson. Sadly, the net rarely came close to getting in the way of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Based on what we've seen Rhodes - WIndass is far and away the best e've seen

Just now, DJMortimer said:

I'm not sure I've never seen anyone who could head or boot a ball as hard as Garry Thompson. Sadly, the net rarely came close to getting in the way of them.

I remember he could hang in the air forever before heading it off target.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Emilianenko said:

One of my main memories of him is the 'BOOM' when his shots thundered off the advertising hoardings several yards to either side of the goal at the Kop end.

Wouldn't want to say that to his face though. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Just now, Emilianenko said:

Those were the days. 

Plus:-

Lawrie Madden - using his terrific reading of the game he would cut out the attack, bring the ball quickly under control, look up unhurriedly to pick out the best ball, then effortlessly curl a 40 yard pass into row P of the South Stand. 

Loved him though. 

Just now, Holmowl said:

Lawrie Madden - using his terrific reading of the game he would cut out the attack, bring the ball quickly under control, look up unhurriedly to pick out the best ball, then effortlessly curl a 40 yard pass into row P of the South Stand. 

Loved him though. 

I used to love him as well. Looked absolutely nothing like a professional athlete. Could almost imagine him playing in slippers with a pint in his hand and a fag hanging out of his mouth. But as you point out, his anticipation was tremendous. He made so many last ditch tackles and blocks when a striker had beaten someone else.

Based on what we've seen so far Windass and Rhodes should have been kept together longer.

At Cardiff the first goal was from Rhodes pressing the defender into a mistake, he gave the ball away to Brown who slipped in Windass for a great finish.

The second gooal came from a free kick which was won by Rhodes getting in front of his man to hold the ball up.

Windass flicks on and Rhodes got in front of his man to poke home.

Against Watford our best chance was possibly the penalty shout. A deft flick on by Rhodes and Windass latched on to it. Not sure it was a penalty though.

Not a lot to go on but better than anything else we have put out this season.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I used to love him as well. Looked absolutely nothing like a professional athlete. Could almost imagine him playing in slippers with a pint in his hand and a fag hanging out of his mouth. But as you point out, his anticipation was tremendous. He made so many last ditch tackles and blocks when a striker had beaten someone else.

Would be in my top ten favourite Wednesday players all day long. Ran like Quasimodo which made him look deceptively slow. He was anything but slow. His pace and anticipation got us out of trouble many times like you said.

• Like 2

Screenshot_20201008_135623.jpg.263e9a0ba0f49018314bf0d8be08efd9.jpg

12 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Remember Brian but DF is a bit to far back for me even though I would have seen him play

Thanks for making me feel old. 

DF 63-69

BJ 71-76

I don't remember Ford playing for the pigs. 

Screenshot_20201008_135455.jpg

2 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Screenshot_20201008_135623.jpg.263e9a0ba0f49018314bf0d8be08efd9.jpg

Thanks for making me feel old. 

DF 63-69

BJ 71-76

I don't remember Ford playing for the pigs. 

Screenshot_20201008_135455.jpg

Sorry but I often feel old when the younger fans look at you blankly when you mention Bannister or Vardi, it crushes you.

8 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Sorry but I often feel old when the younger fans look at you blankly when you mention Bannister or Vardi, it crushes you.

You don't remember Redfearn Froggat, Roy Shiner, Alan Finney, Norman (bite yer legs off) Curtis and many more I could list. 

I first went to see wednesday when I was about 6 ish. That's 66 years ago. 

Screenshot_20201008_141224.jpg

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Based on what we've seen so far Windass and Rhodes should have been kept together longer.

At Cardiff the first goal was from Rhodes pressing the defender into a mistake, he gave the ball away to Brown who slipped in Windass for a great finish.

The second gooal came from a free kick which was won by Rhodes getting in front of his man to hold the ball up.

Windass flicks on and Rhodes got in front of his man to poke home.

Against Watford our best chance was possibly the penalty shout. A deft flick on by Rhodes and Windass latched on to it. Not sure it was a penalty though.

Not a lot to go on but better than anything else we have put out this season.

Very good summary of their brief but effective partnership. 

2 minutes ago, A12owl said:

You don't remember Redfearn Froggat, Roy Shiner, Alan Finney, Norman (bite yer legs off) Curtis and many more I could list. 

I first went to see wednesday when I was about 6 ish. That's 66 years ago. 

Screenshot_20201008_141224.jpg

I was about the same age maybe a little older when I first started going, can never remember making a conscious decision to be a Wednesday fan I was just taken along. Used to love the night games, somehow it smelt different and the neon lights made it seem almost magical to a young lad.

For some reason it doesn't seem to smell anymore.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I was about the same age maybe a little older when I first started going, can never remember making a conscious decision to be a Wednesday fan I was just taken along. Used to love the night games, somehow it smelt different and the neon lights made it seem almost magical to a young lad.

For some reason it doesn't seem to smell anymore.

At the back of the North Stand it used to smell of pipe smoke and Bovril.

:biggrin: