Rate the Strike Partnerships

1 hour ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Chapman and Thompson could work.....Marwood in Browns roll...

UTO

For West Brom v Owls

Garry (scary as hell powerful goal scorer ) Thompson

For Owls v Anyone 

Garry (couldn’t hit a cow’s arris with a banjo) Thompson

Why is it so often the way with us?

10 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

For West Brom v Owls

Garry (scary as hell powerful goal scorer ) Thompson

For Owls v Anyone 

Garry (couldn’t hit a cow’s arris with a banjo) Thompson

Why is it so often the way with us?

I'm not sure I've never seen anyone who could head or boot a ball as hard as Garry Thompson. Sadly, the net rarely came close to getting in the way of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Based on what we've seen Rhodes - WIndass is far and away the best e've seen

Just now, DJMortimer said:

I'm not sure I've never seen anyone who could head or boot a ball as hard as Garry Thompson. Sadly, the net rarely came close to getting in the way of them.

I remember he could hang in the air forever before heading it off target.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Emilianenko said:

One of my main memories of him is the 'BOOM' when his shots thundered off the advertising hoardings several yards to either side of the goal at the Kop end.

Wouldn't want to say that to his face though. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Just now, Emilianenko said:

Those were the days. 

Plus:-

Lawrie Madden - using his terrific reading of the game he would cut out the attack, bring the ball quickly under control, look up unhurriedly to pick out the best ball, then effortlessly curl a 40 yard pass into row P of the South Stand. 

Loved him though. 

Just now, Holmowl said:

Lawrie Madden - using his terrific reading of the game he would cut out the attack, bring the ball quickly under control, look up unhurriedly to pick out the best ball, then effortlessly curl a 40 yard pass into row P of the South Stand. 

Loved him though. 

I used to love him as well. Looked absolutely nothing like a professional athlete. Could almost imagine him playing in slippers with a pint in his hand and a fag hanging out of his mouth. But as you point out, his anticipation was tremendous. He made so many last ditch tackles and blocks when a striker had beaten someone else.

Based on what we've seen so far Windass and Rhodes should have been kept together longer.

At Cardiff the first goal was from Rhodes pressing the defender into a mistake, he gave the ball away to Brown who slipped in Windass for a great finish.

The second gooal came from a free kick which was won by Rhodes getting in front of his man to hold the ball up.

Windass flicks on and Rhodes got in front of his man to poke home.

Against Watford our best chance was possibly the penalty shout. A deft flick on by Rhodes and Windass latched on to it. Not sure it was a penalty though.

Not a lot to go on but better than anything else we have put out this season.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I used to love him as well. Looked absolutely nothing like a professional athlete. Could almost imagine him playing in slippers with a pint in his hand and a fag hanging out of his mouth. But as you point out, his anticipation was tremendous. He made so many last ditch tackles and blocks when a striker had beaten someone else.

Would be in my top ten favourite Wednesday players all day long. Ran like Quasimodo which made him look deceptively slow. He was anything but slow. His pace and anticipation got us out of trouble many times like you said.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Based on what we've seen so far Windass and Rhodes should have been kept together longer.

At Cardiff the first goal was from Rhodes pressing the defender into a mistake, he gave the ball away to Brown who slipped in Windass for a great finish.

The second gooal came from a free kick which was won by Rhodes getting in front of his man to hold the ball up.

Windass flicks on and Rhodes got in front of his man to poke home.

Against Watford our best chance was possibly the penalty shout. A deft flick on by Rhodes and Windass latched on to it. Not sure it was a penalty though.

Not a lot to go on but better than anything else we have put out this season.

Very good summary of their brief but effective partnership. 

2 minutes ago, A12owl said:

You don't remember Redfearn Froggat, Roy Shiner, Alan Finney, Norman (bite yer legs off) Curtis and many more I could list. 

I first went to see wednesday when I was about 6 ish. That's 66 years ago. 

Screenshot_20201008_141224.jpg

I was about the same age maybe a little older when I first started going, can never remember making a conscious decision to be a Wednesday fan I was just taken along. Used to love the night games, somehow it smelt different and the neon lights made it seem almost magical to a young lad.

For some reason it doesn't seem to smell anymore.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I was about the same age maybe a little older when I first started going, can never remember making a conscious decision to be a Wednesday fan I was just taken along. Used to love the night games, somehow it smelt different and the neon lights made it seem almost magical to a young lad.

At the back of the North Stand it used to smell of pipe smoke and Bovril.

:biggrin:

22 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I love the smell of Hillsborough on Saturdays and especially evenings. I still get those smells.

Covid test?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

The Windass- Paterson looked nothing like a partnership.

Not once do I remember a Paterson flick on going near Windass.

Partnerships don't happen overnight. Paterson had barely set foot in the door. I think it's unreasonable to expect him to form a partnership with anyone just yet.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ian said:

I’d be interested to hear why you think this given that with what we’ve got we are currently making up ground on 3rd bottom at a rate of a point a game and due to be out of the relegation zone after 12 games

We have 5 points in 4 games over the season that gives us, 58 points less 12 = 46 most season that gets you relegated.

We concede too many goals, we switch off in the last 10 minutes virtually every game and as I stated previously we have only score more than 1 goal on 11 occasions out of 44 league games under monk.

Draws will not keep us up, we need the region of 18 wins from 42 games a massive ask for a team that concede too many and don't score enough. I hope something click with the team but with Monk changing line up every game, dropping players needed game time to improve, players  other such as Harris no matter what they do on the pitch or in his case doesn't do on the pitch.Harris last goal 27th Nov last year, 1 assist in his last 26 games yet plays every game.

It's not going to happen unless someone is brought in or form of players dramatically changes now.

In all honesty it’s hard to fathom Monk’s thinking here, as there doesn’t look to be a pairing out of the three he’s signed. Unless there is a lot more to come in this window, it certainly doesn’t look like we’ll have enough goals in us to survive