Rate the Strike Partnerships

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

I don’t disagree but what do you do with our new signing Paterson? 

I suppose he comes on as sub and tries to make himself a starter?

Yeah either that or he plays in another position, hes a utility man. I am still hoping we sign another striker (and a decent one at that) but same with them there on the bench and work there way in. Were never gonna get anywhere chopping and changing.

I think dropping Penney has been an issue, we looked solid at the back first two games, he unnecessarily changed it and weve looked vulnerable. Penney i do rate but was just ok in those games, but the collective as a whole with him there looked better.

Try and get a settled side and work from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we can firmly say that if a proven scorer or at least a striker who plays most games, is not brought to the club in the before the window shuts our stay in this league could be coming to an end this season.

Under Monk in the league in 44 league games we have scored 2 goals or more just 11 times. So what that mean is if we concede 1 goal we most of the time do not win the game. That put a lot of pressure on a defense already struggling with inexperience/not ready for Cham football keepers.

We need more goals, the ever present Bannan and Luongo in the middle of the park means there won't be a great deal coming from them and Harris has not scored a goal since 27th November 2019, so we are coming up on a year since he last scored a goal. Midfield have not consistently contributed goals since we had a match fit Lee and Reach was playing on the left side of midfield. This make have a regular scoring striker crutial to the team as well as having a defense that concedes few goals we currently don't have either.

• Like 2

Given the limited sample size, I see nothing to indicate that we might have a good strike partnership on our hands. Probably best to wait to the end of the window to see whether or not it’s been a good window, for strikers anyway

• Like 1

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

I think we can firmly say that if a proven scorer or at least a striker who plays most games, is not brought to the club in the before the window shuts our stay in this league could be coming to an end this season.

Under Monk in the league in 44 league games we have scored 2 goals or more just 11 times. So what that mean is if we concede 1 goal we most of the time do not win the game. That put a lot of pressure on a defense already struggling with inexperience/not ready for Cham football keepers.

We need more goals, the ever present Bannan and Luongo in the middle of the park means there won't be a great deal coming from them and Harris has not scored a goal since 27th November 2019, so we are coming up on a year since he last scored a goal. Midfield have not consistently contributed goals since we had a match fit Lee and Reach was playing on the left side of midfield. This make have a regular scoring striker crutial to the team as well as having a defense that concedes few goals we currently don't have either.

Vital point there.

Teams can succeed without their strikers being prolific, but almost certainly we can’t this year.

Bannan and Luongo will get 5 between them. Harris 3 or 4. Reach is an unknown - anything from 2 to 8 if he’s picked all season. Brown maybe 3-5 depending on how fit he stays. Our CBs might chip in with 8 combined.

That leaves the lion’s share from our front two. It’s vital they have plenty of goals in them, not just workrate.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I’d be interested to hear why you think this given that with what we’ve got we are currently making up ground on 3rd bottom at a rate of a point a game and due to be out of the relegation zone after 12 games

Let’s be logical here, none of our strikers will score goals on a regular basis, Rhodes did many years ago, but since then, the game has changed, and probably, so has he. Windass, Paterson and Kachunga are hardly prolific, and the output from the rest of the squad will be minimal. 
You would have to conclude that any salvation, on the goals front, has not yet arrived. Will it? 
That is the big question, and one that will probably decide the fate of our season. We either need to bring in a player who can lead the line, but who is also likely to score 15-20 goals. Normally, I’d say, it isn’t necessary to have a player who will score that many, but given the scarcity of goals from other areas, actually it is. 
The other way we could try and do it, is bring in a player like Zohore, who is unlikely to get the required goals, but who might at least complete the team dynamic. Play Windass in a withdrawn role, behind the centre forward, and make ourselves as solid as we can. It won’t bring the goals, but it might make us better equipped to shut up shop. It wouldn’t really be my way of doing it, but it might prove to be our best option. To do that though, we have to stop messing around with the back five, and basically pick the five who give us the best shape defensively.

Edited by gurujuan

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Or in new money, Hooper and Fletcher.

But we have what we have. If you were picking for Birmingham, who would you start?

Or which pairing is your hunch for the most likely most prolific (least goal-dry).

Fair point.

In answer to your question Rhodes and Windass.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

With you all the way there, how much would bannister be worth today? He just seemed to vanish without trace after we sold him him.

In fairness he did quite well at QPR but we had the best of him.

He’s a maintenance man in a hotel now. He should be living in flippin luxury in my opinion.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Did we not play a front three back then

Good grief man I can't remember last weeks lineup let alone the line up from a billion years ago.

What I remember of him he scored every week, looked the spitting image of that other lad who played for us, and had a stunning looking lass on his arm when you saw him down town, especially in that pub where you thought you was outside but you wasn't.

Cracking player

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

....so which two?

My view - I’m of the opinion the partnership most likely to score enough goals to keep us up has Rhodes in it. 

However, we just bought Paterson as a striker so he clearly has to start the next few games. 

So, which partner? If Brown is fit I think Windass has earned a few more starts. Certainly the Birmingham game. 

If Brown is out Id play Windass in the CAM role behind Paterson-Rhodes.

Weirdly I feel Rhodes & Paterson could deliver the best returns. Rhodes has always flourished next to a partner that does the dirty work. Seems perfect, just keep Reach/Penney on the left getting decent balls into them and have Bannan or Brown or both creating from the middle.

It may not be perfect for every game but I’d expect it to work against most mid/low teams in the division and we can adjust against teams where we need more energy/endeavour with the more dynamic Windass/Kachunga. 

I’d love to see a Rhodes Paterson combo given a 5-6 game run.  

• Like 4