Rate the Strike Partnerships

Ridiculous to ask you to judge our strike partnerships after 4 games, but our manager has to. We can’t afford to be farting around with the front two after 10-12 games given the massive handicap we started with.

What have you thought so far?

Windass-Rhodes

60 minutes v Cardiff 

60 minutes v Watford 

Windass-Kachunga 

84 minutes v Bristol City 

Windass-Paterson 

90 minutes v QPR

(I’ve left out the up and coming jazz ensemble,The Adam Reach Experiment, on the basis that it was fekkin stupid).

Has one of the above looked a potential winner? Is there another duo you’d like to see start? 

22 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

It has to be the Windass Rhodes combination as this is the only league game where a Wednesday players has actually scored

Although Paterson & Rhodes with Windass playing the Izzy Brown role is also something worth looking at

TBF if the QPR defender hadn’t scored for us Windass had a 2 inch tap-in.

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

From what I’ve seen so far, they all look ill matched, and worse still, I couldn’t see any of them forming a pairing with Zohore. At a push, maybe Windass could play just behind Zohore, that might work

Why Zohore?

He doesn’t play for us.

What about your thoughts on the partnerships we do have?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scilly owl said:

I don’t want to dodge the question but once you’ve seen Bannister & Varadi  and Hirst & Williams it’s difficult to appraise the current crop.

Or in new money, Hooper and Fletcher.

But we have what we have. If you were picking for Birmingham, who would you start?

Or which pairing is your hunch for the most likely most prolific (least goal-dry).

11 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Why Zohore?

He doesn’t play for us.

What about your thoughts on the partnerships we do have?

As above then, they all seem ill matched. We did this with our strikers before, recruiting a group of strikers who all had different attributes, but without any thought on how they might play together. Can see us making the same mistakes again

Just now, gurujuan said:

As above then, they all seem ill matched. We did this with our strikers before, recruiting a group of strikers who all had different attributes, but without any thought given to how they might play together. Can see us making the same mistakes again

Just now, gurujuan said:

As above then, they all seem ill matched. We did this with our strikers before, recruiting a group of strikers who all had different attributes, but without any thought on how they might play together. Can see us making the same mistakes again

....so which two?

My view - I’m of the opinion the partnership most likely to score enough goals to keep us up has Rhodes in it. 

However, we just bought Paterson as a striker so he clearly has to start the next few games. 

So, which partner? If Brown is fit I think Windass has earned a few more starts. Certainly the Birmingham game. 

If Brown is out Id play Windass in the CAM role behind Paterson-Rhodes.

• Like 5

Guest Kagoshimaowl

We have to try to build a Paterson and Windass partnership if we don’t get anyone in. Whether it works or not is another question entirely.

14 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

I don’t want to dodge the question but once you’ve seen Bannister & Varadi  and Hirst & Williams it’s difficult to appraise the current crop.

Hirst & Williams take some beating, but I did love watching Bannister & Varadi.

Choosing from current squad, I would give Paterson & Rhodes a try - not convinced about Windass or Kachunga in a front two right now.  Having said that, expect Paterson & Windass to start against Birmingham.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Ridiculous to ask you to judge our strike partnerships after 4 games, but our manager has to. We can’t afford to be farting around with the front two after 10-12 games given the massive handicap we started with.

What have you thought so far?

Windass-Rhodes

60 minutes v Cardiff 

60 minutes v Watford 

Windass-Kachunga 

84 minutes v Bristol City 

Windass-Paterson 

90 minutes v QPR

(I’ve left out the up and coming jazz ensemble,The Adam Reach Experiment, on the basis that it was fekkin stupid).

Has one of the above looked a potential winner? Is there another duo you’d like to see start? 

The 'best' has been Windass and Rhodes so far, as they have scored. 

I'm not one to pin everything on the manager, but I cannot understand why you would take Rhodes out after he scored and hit the post in 2 games. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, A12owl said:

If Monk is going to continue with 2 up front then he has to decide which 2 and subject to injuries stick with it for 4 or 5 games. As has already been mentioned he should have experimented in training, which in fairness is nowt like a proper game, and have an idea. His problem seems to be knee jerk reaction if summat don't work immediately. (Except Harris). 

Stick with the same pairing and only sub if there is an injury or fatigue. A striker lives off confidence and needs game time and goals. 

My choice? 

Paterson and Rhodes. 

Paterson is the rough and tumble strong man that should create knockdowns and space for Rhodes like his previous partner Gestede used to do at Huddersfield and I think at Blackburn. 

If not Paterson and Rhodes then Paterson and Windass. 

Agree he has to stick with one.

Windass Rhodes both scored at Cardiff. Although i am not a fan this is the strike partnership that should play the next 5 games and if we manage to get an actual striker in they can get up to speed and have time off the bench.

• Like 3

As we have just recruited Paterson we have to conclude he’ll be first name on the team sheet.

The answer is then who will partner him assuming Monk continues with the 3-5-2 formation.

Seems clear to me that Windass, for his overall contribution & workrate plus his recent goals per game record will get the start v Brum. 

Unless we get Zahore I expect Rhodes and or Kachunga to be used as subs alongside him to see how they work in tandem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Agree he has to stick with one.

Windass Rhodes both scored at Cardiff. Although i am not a fan this is the strike partnership that should play the next 5 games and if we manage to get an actual striker in they can get up to speed and have time off the bench.

I don’t disagree but what do you do with our new signing Paterson? 

I suppose he comes on as sub and tries to make himself a starter?