Paddy Kenny on podcast

Some players are worth indulging, some are not.

Cantona was indulged because he was the best player at the club and delivered at the weekend.

Some of our players were indulged and delivered what exactly? Two failed play off campaigns in the second division and a whole load of bs and injuries thereafter.

Funnily enough, I was watching some clips from that period. Funny how Wildsmith was in goal around those festive periods...

• Like 1

Halfway through the Grant Holt podcast

After what i've read on here i'll give the Bircham one a miss. I'm going to give the Aaron Wilbraham one a watch next as he's been around a fair bit so will probably have tons of stories to tell and I prefer hearing about players who have played in the lower leagues

3 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

I've watched a couple but maybe I am getting old but it's all a bit too ladish for me. The swearing I find completely unnecessary.

Completly agree mate

I don't see the need either. The stories are great without them having to add a swear word in there every 5 seconds

Half an hour into the Wilbraham podcast. A good watch so far definitely recommend it. Some great stories from when Carlton Palmer was player-manager at Stockport

Something that caught my attention is that when Dave Jones left Stockport in 1998 he was replaced by Gary Megson. Strange to think that all those years later the reverse happened at Wednesday when Mandaric was our chairman. Swings and roundabouts and all that

14 hours ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Yeah I didn't like Bircham, barely let anyone else get a word in. Sounds like he was a pretty nasty player as well. Don't really remember ever seeing him play though. 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5626986/qpr-marc-bircham-arrested-battery/

Another reason to give it a miss...

3 hours ago, aussieowl87 said:

He talks about that in detail, wasn't his fault to be fair to him and he wasn't charged with anything. 

The Wilbraham one is really good, possibly my favourite so far. You can see why he was still playing at 40, obviously really looks after himself. The story about Martin Allen in the Italian restaurant might be the funniest thing I've heard on these podcasts. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I have this problem too. I think it depends on the guest. Sometimes Parkin can come across as a bit of a tail just obsessed with the drinking side of it and all that. I watched the Marc Bircham one the other day, although he was quite entertaining, he came across quite annoying by the end of it.

I enjoyed the Tommy Miller one and his stories about Di Canio. Absolutely brilliant. 

I agree regarding Parkin and the always want to talk about them getting plastered after a session, but I don't mind the bloke to be fair.

Only time I felt uncomfortable watching/listening was the Gary Roberts (ex Crewe not Wigan/Huddersfield) episode. If you listen to it the guy was definitely a loose cannon and had major addiction problems, you could sense he was opening up and being serious about his drink/drug habits and yet the podcast lot seemed to laugh and make a joke of it, Parkin especially, which was cringey.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

He talks about that in detail, wasn't his fault to be fair to him and he wasn't charged with anything. 

The Wilbraham one is really good, possibly my favourite so far. You can see why he was still playing at 40, obviously really looks after himself. The story about Martin Allen in the Italian restaurant might be the funniest thing I've heard on these podcasts. 

On the Wilbraham one currently, a brilliant insight on the managers he's played under. Some great Martin Allen stories. Modern football is sadly lacking in characters like Allen, Warnock etc. Now it's all high tech, head pieces and tablets on the bench

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Concrete said:

I agree regarding Parkin and the always want to talk about them getting plastered after a session, but I don't mind the bloke to be fair.

i umpired the team he plays cricket for a few weeks back and he seemed a real nice bloke and not what i imagined he would be like  from the stories ive read about him .  

4 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Listened to the Wilbraham one ages ago, remind me of the Allen stories. 

Also the one when they talk about the weighing machine at forest and good old Lewis mcgugan fiddling the weight is superb

Yeah Paul McKenna mentions about it, to be honest it kind of gave you a small insight into why McGugan doesn't stick around the first teams at clubs very often "So talented but so lazy" something along them lines.

On 19/10/2020 at 23:40, IWEDFM said:

Halfway through the Grant Holt podcast

After what i've read on here i'll give the Bircham one a miss. I'm going to give the Aaron Wilbraham one a watch next as he's been around a fair bit so will probably have tons of stories to tell and I prefer hearing about players who have played in the lower leagues

Surprised Holt was so complimentary about his time with us. He joined when we were absolutely awful and we never really gave him a chance. But seems like he enjoyed his time at Wednesday.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Surprised Holt was so complimentary about his time with us. He joined when we were absolutely awful and we never really gave him a chance. But seems like he enjoyed his time at Wednesday.

Yes he spoke very well of us. I remember when we plucked him out of non league and gave him his break. His career could have turned out very differently had we not taken a punt on him but he went on to have a very good career