Jump to content

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, vulva said:

For those who haven’t  seen these podcasts and like this one, there are loads more. Andy Johnson is brilliant. Marc Bircham recently was very good. 

 

The Sedgwick and Weaver ones are good as well (the first Weaver one, I haven't listened to the second one they did during lockdown.) He's got some good stories about Barton when they were at Man City together. 

 

I listened to the Mark Crossley one last night, its almost entirely Brian Clough anecdotes but is definitely worth a listen.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Big fan of these podcasts, the Matt Kilgallon one is really funny.  Others, that in my view are well worth a listen, are;

 

Nicky Weaver

Glen Little

Chris Sedgewick

Andy Johnson

Grant Holt

Leon Knight - absolute car crash but great entertainment.  Think he fell out with them after it was released.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant imagine that the current generation playing will have stories like the ones on this podcast.

 

Was still very much the wild west, certainly in the lower leagues

 

Main focus is on getting pissed.

 

Very amusing.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Junglejay said:

Big fan of these podcasts, the Matt Kilgallon one is really funny.  Others, that in my view are well worth a listen, are;

 

Nicky Weaver

Glen Little

Chris Sedgewick

Andy Johnson

Grant Holt

Leon Knight - absolute car crash but great entertainment.  Think he fell out with them after it was released.  

Loved the glen little episode. Great character 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/10/2020 at 16:26, vulva said:

For those who haven’t  seen these podcasts and like this one, there are loads more. Andy Johnson is brilliant. Marc Bircham recently was very good. 

 

Only found out about the podcast this week but find myself addicted. Between yesterday and today I have watched Paddy, Kirkland and Leon Knight (for anyone who hasn't watched the Knight one it isn't hard to see why his career went downhill. A complete car crash)

Edited by IWEDFM
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and I forgot about Dean Windass, which for me is the best one up to now. Some of his stories had me in stitches especially the Savage one at the end

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the Kirkland one last night, found it quite moving in places, sounded like he was in a really bad place mentally when he was with us, he couldn't have been more positive about Wednesday and the support they gave him though. 

 

Also found it interesting when he said he got on well with all the goalkeepers he played with, "Even Keiran Westwood" who he said has a reputation for being a wrong-un.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tommy Miller and Neil Shipperly are the latest ones I've watched.

 

Miller comes across as a nice guy, seems like he was pretty sensible and had his head screwed on (shame his legs weren't half the time) Sounded crazy playing under Di Canio at Swindon, talking about when they trained 73 consecutive days. There's quite a long section about when he had his watch stolen at Bury, turns out the prime suspect was another one of our former players and the same lad was also accused of stealing thousands of pounds from Jermaine Pennant's locker. I'm not going to name him on here obviously, but look at the comments under the YouTube video. 

 

Enjoyed the Shipperly one, I'd forgotten how decent his career actually was, seems like he's fallen on hard times financially since he finished playing. 

 

I really like Parkin, but the more I listen to these podcasts, the more I'm glad he never played for us, his commitment levels sounded terrible. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shipperley has took up tearing the head off it in a works van these days, ogling a mother and her 16 year old daughter, hasn’t he?

Edited by NorfolkNChance
Link to post
Share on other sites

John Beresford was good and also Carlton Palmer, more for his attitude to life than anything.  Some of the stories were a bit exaggerated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

I've watched a couple but maybe I am getting old but it's all a bit too ladish for me. The swearing I find completely unnecessary.

 

I have this problem too. I think it depends on the guest. Sometimes Parkin can come across as a bit of a tail just obsessed with the drinking side of it and all that. I watched the Marc Bircham one the other day, although he was quite entertaining, he came across quite annoying by the end of it.

 

I enjoyed the Tommy Miller one and his stories about Di Canio. Absolutely brilliant. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/10/2020 at 15:41, IWEDFM said:

Currently watching part 2 that was uploaded today. A great insight into Warnock and all the other managers he's played under. Top guy is Paddy

 

Who are the other lads at the table? I know they're ex footballers but I don't recognise them

 

Says a lot about Warnock's man management. The way Taarabt just did what he wanted and Warnock let him do it because he'd get them up.

 

Players have to be managed differently. That has always been my argument about the likes of Westwood, Hutch and FF. Might be absolute pain in the arses behind the scenes, but they're capable of winning you a game through their own brilliance. The sign of a good manager is managing these kind of ego's and keeping the rest of the squad happy. From what I've heard about Warnock and Holloway from this podcast, that is why they've had successful periods in management. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

 

I have this problem too. I think it depends on the guest. Sometimes Parkin can come across as a bit of a tail just obsessed with the drinking side of it and all that. I watched the Marc Bircham one the other day, although he was quite entertaining, he came across quite annoying by the end of it.

 

I enjoyed the Tommy Miller one and his stories about Di Canio. Absolutely brilliant. 

 

Yeah I didn't like Bircham, barely let anyone else get a word in. Sounds like he was a pretty nasty player as well. Don't really remember ever seeing him play though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

 

Yeah I didn't like Bircham, barely let anyone else get a word in. Sounds like he was a pretty nasty player as well. Don't really remember ever seeing him play though. 

 

I remember him with the blue mohawk for QPR. It did seem like a lot of his stories were exaggerated, the further it went on the more I thought he's bullish*tting a bit here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

 

Says a lot about Warnock's man management. The way Taarabt just did what he wanted and Warnock let him do it because he'd get us up.

 

Players have to be managed differently. That has always been my argument about the likes of Westwood, Hutch and FF. Might be absolute pain in the arses behind the scenes, but they're capable of winning you a game through their own brilliance. The sign of a good manager is managing these kind of ego's and keeping the rest of the squad happy. From what I've heard about Warnock and Holloway from this podcast, that is why they've had successful periods in management. 

 

True but Taarabt was the best player in the league by a mile, Hutchinson and Westwood have never deserved that sort of special treatment. It made sense when Ferguson did it with Cantona because he was on another level at that time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Whitechapel Owl said:

 

True but Taarabt was the best player in the league by a mile, Hutchinson and Westwood have never deserved that sort of special treatment. It made sense when Ferguson did it with Cantona because he was on another level at that time. 

 

True, but what I've learnt from this podcast is that every club has it's awkward, not so nice players. The sign of a good manager is the one who gets them performing and giving their all when it really matters - 3pm on a Saturday.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

 

True, but what I've learnt from this podcast is that every club has it's awkward, not so nice players. The sign of a good manager is the one who gets them performing and giving their all when it really matters - 3pm on a Saturday.

 

It's always a judgement call though as to whether the player's behaviour is worth tolerating. Jos and Monk have obviously decided for whatever reason that it's not. 

 

I still wouldn't rule out the financial aspect being a massive part of it though, you see stories of players being forced to train with the reserves and all sorts because they club simply wants them off the wage bill. Grant Holt talks about it happening to him at Wigan in this podcast and I've read numbers autobiographies that talk about the same thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...