Square Pegs Round Holes

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The bit where you said instead of buying lots cheaper players we should buy more expensive ones instead, then go on list expensive ones and tell us how badly they flopped

lol

[

Not at all.

Take those 7 players’ cost and look at who we could have had if we’d spread the same cost among four better, fitter players.

Same now. Do we need 5 wing-backs?

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I hope the Sheffield Wednesday manager  ceases  with the square pegs round holes method of selection.

I understand that we have a threadbare squad and injuries BUT the games this season so far has seen players played out of positions, or even worse in brand new positions they have never really played in before.

Players who play on the left are played on the right

Players who play on the right are played on the left

Our brand new striker made his debut and was immediately told to trot out to the wings to take throw ins

Midfielders have been asked to be defenders

Wingers have been asked to be wing backs

Adam Reach has been asked to do everything apart from Goalkeeper

Quite simply this is NO ON

It's not acceptable

It's never ever EVER successful

Please - for the love of Siggi Jonsson - STOP with this nonsense

No more square pegs round holes Garry

Ta.

Love you x

But do you hope he proves you wrong???😉

• Haha 2

I think tbf to Monk, he’s tried to make a formation to stop us losing - it’s just we haven’t got high performing players or players that suit whatever he wants to do anyway. 

Checking the results and formations last season, it turned into a real mess - but it doesn’t need to be that way this time around. 

Just now, Holmowl said:

Not at all.

Take those 7 players’ cost and look at who we could have had if we’d spread the same cost among four better, fitter players. 

WTF

So now you DON"T want us to spend big on players and instead want to spread the money across cheaper players?

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I could see this coming with Penney. He is more of a footballer, likes to play it short and move. This isnt how Monk wants to play and he's quickly banished him even from the bench. Very worrying. Plus Penney offers a left footed option from set pieces.

He is by no means the finished article as he showed in the first two games, but he worked hard and helped out at the back and van Aken looked a lot more secure with Penney in the side. A run of 12 - 15 games IMO would see him progress grow in confidence and become one of our better players. He wont get that under Monk.

Can see him leaving on a free after little game time this year and him to go on and have a very successful career at a better level than where were going and well be gutted. 

Honestly if you think the Van Aken - Penney axis looked secure I really suggest you watch those games back.

Just like in his early spell Matt’s awareness and positional sense were awful.

He is absolutely not a lost cause, but equally he is absolutely not yet a Championship WB, FB or winger.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

WTF

So now you DON"T want us to spend big on players and instead want to spread the money across cheaper players?

Either I’m writing in Swahili or you are being deliberately dense.

10 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Not at all.

Same now. Do we need 5 wing-backs?

You mean like signing a striker from Chelsea who for £40,000 a week delivered promotion for Villa with 25 goals in 37 appearance.

But we had Fletcher, Foresteri, Winnall, Rhodes, Nuihu, Joao, Hooper, probably on north of £120k a week at least between them who only managed the same amount of goals we could have bought 3 tammy Abrahams for what 7 under performing strikers cost us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I hope the Sheffield Wednesday manager  ceases  with the square pegs round holes method of selection.

I understand that we have a threadbare squad and injuries BUT the games this season so far has seen players played out of positions, or even worse in brand new positions they have never really played in before.

Our brand new striker made his debut and was immediately told to trot out to the wings to take throw ins

It's not acceptable

Ta.

Love you x

It's the Wednesday way. I'm sure it is the requirement of the job. Carlos banged on about it, then proceeded to do it.

It must be 4d chess continental style team selection. 

4 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

I think tbf to Monk, he’s tried to make a formation to stop us losing - it’s just we haven’t got high performing players or players that suit whatever he wants to do anyway. 

Checking the results and formations last season, it turned into a real mess - but it doesn’t need to be that way this time around. 

Looking at our results across the board, we are already on a downward trend, if not yet in an out of control spiral. At what point though, do we acknowledge that, and try to do something about it. 
I’m sure last season, after those few bad results over the Christmas period, we thought, Ah the window is coming up, we can make the odd tweak, and we’ll pull ourselves out of it. Well we didn’t, and had it not been for the incompetence of the EFL, we would have been relegated. 
All that, and with the cushion of a third placed points total at Christmas. 
This year we have no such cushion, in fact we have quite the opposite, a 12 point deficit from the start of the season. It’s not crisis time yet, and I’m not saying sack the manager, but the direction of travel should be ringing alarm bells. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

You mean like signing a striker from Chelsea who for £40,000 a week delivered promotion for Villa with 25 goals in 37 appearance.

But we had Fletcher, Foresteri, Winnall, Rhodes, Nuihu, Joao, Hooper, probably on north of £120k a week at least between them who only managed the same amount of goals we could have bought 3 tammy Abrahams for what 7 under performing strikers cost us.

Yes.

Thanks. Thought I was going mad. My point was why 7? Why not spend the same overall amount on 4?

Same argument - why Reach, Harris, Moses, Penney and Palmer? Why not spend that same weekly wage on 3 excellent WBs?

• Like 1

Just now, Holmowl said:

Yes.

Thanks. Thought I was going mad. My point was why 7? Why not spend the same overall amount on 4?

Same argument - why Reach, Harris, Moses, Penney and Palmer? Why not spend that same weekly wage on 3 excellent WBs?

We had 6 

Chansiri bought record signing Rhodes

So basically doing exactly what you are saying we should do?

Owlstalk Shop

18 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Honestly if you think the Van Aken - Penney axis looked secure I really suggest you watch those games back.

Just like in his early spell Matt’s awareness and positional sense were awful.

He is absolutely not a lost cause, but equally he is absolutely not yet a Championship WB, FB or winger.

Look at the difference in the last two tho ?? They looked a lot more sercure together than apart ?? Might not always be in the right position but hes always there or thereabouts. I am not suggesting he is a championship full back at the moment but with the run i suggested he could be. 

My preference would be a 442 with Penney LB and Reach LM as i think they would help eachother with there weaknesses but thats not gonna happen so i would prefer to see Penney given the run until we either A improve of B change the manager/formation

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Looking at our results across the board, we are already on a downward trend,

W D L D 

isn’t too bad for this season so far. 

It’s that we don’t really have an identity yet that worries me, that’s based on who should player where... carrying on from last season where we didn’t either. 

1 minute ago, Kopparberg said:

W D L D 

isn’t too bad for this season so far. 

It’s that we don’t really have an identity yet that worries me, that’s based on who should player where... carrying on from last season where we didn’t either. 

It’s not what’s required though, and no, it’s not yet crisis time, but we have to monitor this very closely. It’s now no win in four, in all competitions, the junior sides not won a game, and barely a goal scored by any of the sides. Another winless game, and we will be mirroring last season’s slide. 
I totally agree we have no identity, and that is truly worrying after more than a year in charge

15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s not what’s required though, and no, it’s not yet crisis time, but we have to monitor this very closely. It’s now no win in four, in all competitions, the junior sides not won a game, and barely a goal scored by any of the sides. Another winless game, and we will be mirroring last season’s slide. 
I totally agree we have no identity, and that is truly worrying after more than a year in charge

Daft including our reserves v Fulham as a relevant match.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Daft including our reserves v Fulham as a relevant match.

Only in the sense that, our three game winning run Walsall, Cardiff and Rochdale was a good start. People can’t have it both ways, and as Monk said, we put out a side to win the football match

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It's not acceptable

Ta.

Love you x

Sending roses later Neil?

I think the only square peg that actually worked in last couple of years was under Bruce where he was forced to move Palmer to left back. 
It’s okay if enforced but it feels like Monk chucks names in a hat to decide where to play ‘em !