Square Pegs Round Holes

I hope the Sheffield Wednesday manager  ceases  with the square pegs round holes method of selection.

I understand that we have a threadbare squad and injuries BUT the games this season so far has seen players played out of positions, or even worse in brand new positions they have never really played in before.

Players who play on the left are played on the right

Players who play on the right are played on the left

Our brand new striker made his debut and was immediately told to trot out to the wings to take throw ins

Midfielders have been asked to be defenders

Wingers have been asked to be wing backs

Adam Reach has been asked to do everything apart from Goalkeeper

Quite simply this is NO ON

It's not acceptable

It's never ever EVER successful

Please - for the love of Siggi Jonsson - STOP with this nonsense

No more square pegs round holes Garry

Ta.

Love you x

• Like 4

Owlstalk Shop

You have to ask yourself, why do we insist on doing it? It hasn’t been successful for us, at any level of the club, with poor results throughout Not only are we not getting results, I can’t believe the players are happy playing there, and it’s certainly not an easy watch

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

It’s probably this formation we have - that we don’t really like. 

No mate - definitely not.

It's playing players out of position that I hate

When I say hate I mean DETEST

It never ever works - ever. 

Any manager who does this should be immediately replaced

Apart from Monk who should be given a lengthy contract on Thursday to shut the haters up.

Oooops I just said too much

• Haha 3

Owlstalk Shop

24 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I hope the Sheffield Wednesday manager  ceases  with the square pegs round holes method of selection.

I understand that we have a threadbare squad and injuries BUT the games this season so far has seen players played out of positions, or even worse in brand new positions they have never really played in before.

Our brand new striker made his debut and was immediately told to trot out to the wings to take throw ins

It's not acceptable

Ta.

Love you x

Is this just really a veiled comment about Paterson taking throw-ins? I think it might be. 

Just accept that he has the longest throw in the club and it’s the right thing for him to take them. 

You’re obsessed with this Neil. Always bringing it up. You can’t let it go. Stop it now silly boy! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's not acceptable

Ta.

Love you x

Just goes to prove Monk doesn't know what he's doing and put of his depth.

• Haha 1

Just now, William 1867 said:

Just goes to prove Monk doesn't know what he's doing and put of his depth.

I think what I'd really really REALLY like most of all today...

The one thing that I could choose out of everything

If I could only have one wish

The absolute thing I would definitely pick to have..

Would be a bit of variety to your posts mate

You know...

The posts that you just repetitively post in every. single. thread.

THAT is what I would wish for

I could even put up with Callum Paterson  taking throw in's if it meant that for just ONE DAY we could open a thread about bread and jam or saving the environment and didn't see you posting 'That's because of Garry Monk.  He should be sacked' etc etc etc

Please.. make my dreams come true William

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

34 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's not acceptable

Ta.

Love you x

To be fair to monk we've been doing this since mandric, mainly becouse we were skint hence hutch and Lee moving from CB, rb to centre mid. 

Then Dc comes in we splash the cash, but it still continues, playing rbs at lb, inverted wingers under Carlos. 

Jos was a similar situation to under SG, only down to injuries meaning playing players out of position rather than lack of numbers. 

Bruce came in and continued the same way Harris lw reach rw. 

Now monk, everyone could see were crying out for a wingback and a proper cf. 

47 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's not acceptable

Ta.

Love you x

It isnt just this manager we have had this problem with, every one i can remember with the exception of Bruce (yes he played Palmer at LB but it was needs must and he turned out to be better there than RB) has seemed to do this. Why ?? It clearly doesnt work. As you have stated he has had a bit of a clean slate playerwise this summer with our mini clear out. He should be playing players in there positions. Hard when we only have 1 actual striker on our books i know but for god sake REACH IS NOT A STRIKER !!

• Like 1

Just now, Dutch McLovin said:

It isnt just this manager we have had this problem with, every one i can remember with the exception of Bruce (yes he played Palmer at LB but it was needs must and he turned out to be better there than RB) has seemed to do this. Why ?? It clearly doesnt work. As you have stated he has had a bit of a clean slate playerwise this summer with our mini clear out. He should be playing players in there positions. Hard when we only have 1 actual striker on our books i know but for god sake REACH IS NOT A STRIKER !!

Exactly

It's just got to stop now

It's getting silly

The first manager to come in, play 4-4-2, play players in their correct respective positions, and who gets Westwood out of our club would immediately become a hero here.

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Square pegs in round holes is one of my two pet hates about our current approach.

The other one is acquiring too many cheap players for the same shirt, rather than buying a few costlier higher quality players.

Example from the recent past: SEVEN strikers, none of whom could hold down the shirt due to being injury-prone or not quite good enough. Take the weekly cost and fees of Winnall, FF, Joao, Fletcher, Hooper, Rhodes and Nuhiu - it was criminal that we used that massive fund and ended up with SEVEN part-timers instead of four high-quality great fitness record strikers.

Now - FIVE mediocre wing-backs for two shirts. Five salaries, rather than acquire three high-quality reliable players.

Thats why we are threadbare on quality in our first Xl and barren on quality when injury strikes.

3 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Nor a wing back. Can anybody tell me what Penney did wrong, to be banished to the U23s? He looked a natural at left wing back, if we are going to play that system. I hope this is not another one of Monk’s petty fall outs again

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

The other one is acquiring too many cheap players for the same shirt, rather than buying a few costlier higher quality players. 

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Example from the recent past: SEVEN strikers, none of whom could hold down the shirt due to being injury-prone or not quite good enough. Take the weekly cost and fees of Winnall, FF, Joao, Fletcher, Hooper, Rhodes and Nuhiu 

EHhhhh??????

lol

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Exactly

It's just got to stop now

It's getting silly

The first manager to come in, play 4-4-2, play players in their correct respective positions, and who gets Westwood out of our club would immediately become a hero here.

Exactly mate..... its not bloody hard is it !!

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Nor a wing back. Can anybody tell me what Penney did wrong, to be banished to the U23s? He looked a natural at left wing back, if we are going to play that system. I hope this is not another one of Monk’s petty fall outs again

I could see this coming with Penney. He is more of a footballer, likes to play it short and move. This isnt how Monk wants to play and he's quickly banished him even from the bench. Very worrying. Plus Penney offers a left footed option from set pieces.

He is by no means the finished article as he showed in the first two games, but he worked hard and helped out at the back and van Aken looked a lot more secure with Penney in the side. A run of 12 - 15 games IMO would see him progress grow in confidence and become one of our better players. He wont get that under Monk.

Can see him leaving on a free after little game time this year and him to go on and have a very successful career at a better level than where were going and well be gutted.