Monk's done with Rhodes?

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Rhodes scored 6 league goals for Norwich and 2 of those came in early defeats when they were struggling with him in the starting line-up; finding themselves one point outside the bottom three. After that he played no part at all in a quarter of the matches and his contribution was 3 further starts and 4 more goals in a team that scored 93 overall and secured automatic promotion by 11 points. Come on; his contribution to their success was fairly negligible in total and you're making a fool of yourself to try and make more of it than that.

At Middlesbrough, when he arrived they were in second place, one point behind the leaders (Hull). By season's end they were still in second place, four points back. In terms of goals and points averages, their performance dipped just a tiny fraction after Rhodes came in. He scored a few important goals in the run in, but it can hardly be claimed he transformed their fortunes, which stayed much as they had been before. Just a few months after buying him he hardly had a kick in the Premier League, making only 6 appearances. This for a team that registered a mere 5 wins and 27 goals all season. 

Since October 2015, he has played under 6 permanent managers and 1 caretaker boss at 4 clubs. In those five years, he has started the grand total of 87 games with 75 more from the bench. So far as I remember, he has suffered no significant injuries during that period. You cannot dress all of that up as coincidence and misfortune, especially as two of those clubs paid very large fees for his services. 

And I have no personal feelings about him at all really. He actually seems a likeable enough kind of fellow so far as I can tell. I was happy for him when he got that hat trick at the City Ground after such a long spell of misery here. Maybe there have been some mitigating factors we're not aware of? Neither is it his fault that a lorry load of cash was parked on his driveway to come here. What I take more exception to is people using inconsistent standards to judge him as opposed to other players and trying to shoehorn reality to conform with their preconceptions when there is an abundance of evidence to the contrary.

I’m not disagreeing with any of your points. However, it would be interesting to know how many times Rhodes has started 3 games or more in a row for Wednesday? I bet it’s not many. As a striker I would have thought consistent game time is important to build up form, touch and consistency. It cannot do confidence any good to know that whether you score or not you’re only getting 60 mins here and there to prove your worth.

1 hour ago, Jack the Hat said:

What are you talking about. Karancha and Farke both played him in the championship it was when they got to the prem he was surplus to requirements. He helped both clubs to promotion or have you conveniently missed that out for a reason?
carvahal, bullen and lukahay were absolute disaster of managers and he was on loan the entire time our only non clueless manager has been in charge. (Bruce).  The last two teams he’s played for other than us he’s helped get promoted from this league.

What an absolute load of Pony. He’s our only number 9.

karancha had enough faith to try him out in the premier league. Farke enquires after loaning him again when they were in the premier league. Whether you like him or not he has played for hopeless wednesday managers- sandwiched in between two promotions for other clubs.

harry monk won’t play him because he’s clueless. Would rather have another headless chicken number 10 running around up front than play a striker.

Both Boro and Norwich got promoted despite Rhodes being there. Fact.

Considering his previous goal scoring record, he achieved nothing at either club. 

4 minutes ago, 109Waddle said:

I’m not disagreeing with any of your points. However, it would be interesting to know how many times Rhodes has started 3 games or more in a row for Wednesday? I bet it’s not many. As a striker I would have thought consistent game time is important to build up form, touch and consistency. It cannot do confidence any good to know that whether you score or not you’re only getting 60 mins here and there to prove your worth.

Didn't seem to bother any of the other EIGHT forwards who have had a better scoring rate than him since he arrived; most of whom were equally in and out of the line up.

When Rhodes arrived at the club, he started the next 12 games and played a part in all of them until early the following season when he had 16+7 consecutive appearances in league and play offs. That's the equivalent of half a season's work and he had THREE goals to show for it. 

10 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Didn't seem to bother any of the other EIGHT forwards who have had a better scoring rate than him since he arrived; most of whom were equally in and out of the line up.

When Rhodes arrived at the club, he started the next 12 games and played a part in all of them until early the following season when he had 16+7 consecutive appearances in league and play offs. That's the equivalent of half a season's work and he had THREE goals to show for it. 

So in the last couple of seasons he’s had barely any run of consistency in starting games.

Suspect this season will be the same as last, no game time.

13 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

SUFC had their best league finish in decades with no scorer above 6, WBA can promoted & their top scorer end up with minus 3 goals....... stop obsessing about scoring stats for individual players 

14 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

SUFC had their best league finish in decades with no scorer above 6, WBA can promoted & their top scorer end up with minus 3 goals....... stop obsessing about scoring stats for individual players 

I do it with Rhodes because of the inconsistency of those advocating him.

Many were mocking Nuhiu when we signed him, scoffing that Rhodes "guarantees goals" and that all the ugly aspects of the forward's role are boring stuff that only pub players concern themselves with. Well, look where we are now. Nuhiu needed only 4 months to better his entire time at the club so far and now we're talking about how Rhodes is working harder or has linked play. Hypocrites.

As it happens, the biggest positive from Rhodes in the Cardiff game for me was not so much the goal, which was unremarkable, but that he was actually getting involved more generally outside the box. 

56 minutes ago, bobness said:

Bunch of bedwetters! Monk's protecting Rhodes for the playoff final

So he is going out on loan again then.

Guest mrbluesky
4 hours ago, cookeh said:

So the predictable seems to have happened.

Rhodes started the opening match, onyl got an hour, but scored.
Started the 2nd, again just got an hour and this time didn't.

And now seems to have just been frozen out.

That's the "run of games" he gets.. yet again.

I thougth he and Windass looked decent up top together. Something that might have grown given matches together..

Not going to be tho, especially with Paterson coming in.

Monk just doesn't want Rhodes. There seems no other conclusion to make. And so it's into the freezer for him.

I'm sure some will look back at the failure of his time with us and blame the player, but I'm really not sure what those people want Rhodes to do. Every striker needs confidence and games. Rhodes gets the odd 10 minutes here and there and is expected to just magically find the groove. That's not how it works for any striker.

What a sad missed opportunity.

Not in a good place mentally 

I do it with Rhodes because of the inconsistency of those advocating him.

Many were mocking Nuhiu when we signed him, scoffing that Rhodes "guarantees goals" and that all the ugly aspects of the forward's role are boring stuff that only pub players concern themselves with. Well, look where we are now. Nuhiu needed only 4 months to better his entire time at the club so far and now we're talking about how Rhodes is working harder or has linked play. Hypocrites.

As it happens, the biggest positive from Rhodes in the Cardiff game for me was not so much the goal, which was unremarkable, but that he was actually getting involved more generally outside the box. 

I am certainly not advocating him, my position is much the same as yours in that he has been a let down and is never likely to return to his past form.

What I am advocating is that we play him while we have nothing else resembling a natural striker, for the reasons as you have said in your post above, not just the Cardiff game but the difference was notable for the last 20 minutes or so against Walsall and we were also better with than without him against Watford.

JR up to this season has been a defenders dream to play against. He hasn’t got the pace to get past you , And won’t win a flick on for a runner. So you can march him up the pitch and keep him away from the box. He gets more wound up as he doesn’t get the ball so starts to get even deeper,  his back to goal more and go wider. Job done. Jordan Rhodes is doing nothing from there.

Unless we have other players dragging centre backs out, there is no point Rhodes playing. Again not his fault. It’s the player he is and has become. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

I am certainly not advocating him, my position is much the same as yours in that he has been a let down and is never likely to return to his past form.

What I am advocating is that we play him while we have nothing else resembling a natural striker, for the reasons as you have said in your post above, not just the Cardiff game but the difference was notable for the last 20 minutes or so against Walsall and we were also better with than without him against Watford.

I'm actually in partial agreement with you about this season. Only Windass has really staked a solid claim up there so far. I guess Monk's attitude is that Kachunga/Paterson are the future and might make a go of it, whereas he already figures Rhodes won't.

I'm actually in partial agreement with you about this season. Only Windass has really staked a solid claim up there so far. I guess Monk's attitude is that Kachunga/Paterson are the future and might make a go of it, whereas he already figures Rhodes won't.

Seems strange to figure that out after 2 games especially as Rhodes has played better than Kachunga so far, or at least the most effective partnership has been Rhodes & Windass. To bin this off after it yielded 4 points from 2 games and we have 1 points from 2 games since suggests it was a bad move. Rhodes has our best minutes per goal ratio in league games this season too.