GARRY MONK THREAD - All posts about the manager in here please

19 minutes ago, kilnhurstowl said:

Over the past year i have seen so many stats stating how bad we are,  from shots on target, to goals conceded,  even pass accuracy etc. 

My question is if these stats are accurate why does monk not see this and try to change it? 

I'm not a monk in our out guy , or even a shake it all about guy. 

But surely management have access to the same stats we have? 

So why not change things? 

Am I missing something? 

He is slowly,we still have the rump of the team that failed so badly last year still playing....new additions waiting to gain fitness,others to fit in,and gell with the systym we are trying to play...

Give it time,

2 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

It's not 4 games though is it.

Its the same crap as the previous 48!

And I don't agree that performances have improved.

leave last season where it belongs,in the history books,you are entitled to your opinion as we all are ,about this...but we are making teams generally work harder for their goal chances,are battling,and are not leaking 3,or 4 goals a game.(every game)

i still see areas where we need more improvement,up front obviously,in the final ball,and our silly defensive errors need to stop...but its early days.

3 minutes ago, parajack said:

leave last season where it belongs,in the history books,you are entitled to your opinion as we all are ,about this...but we are making teams generally work harder for their goal chances,are battling,and are not leaking 3,or 4 goals a game.(every game)

i still see areas where we need more improvement,up front obviously,in the final ball,and our silly defensive errors need to stop...but its early days.

Hypothetically, how long would you give him if things don't improve?

Because leave it too long and we'll end up adrift staring relegation in the face!

27 minutes ago, kilnhurstowl said:

Over the past year i have seen so many stats stating how bad we are,  from shots on target, to goals conceded,  even pass accuracy etc. 

My question is if these stats are accurate why does monk not see this and try to change it? 

I'm not a monk in our out guy , or even a shake it all about guy. 

But surely management have access to the same stats we have? 

So why not change things? 

Am I missing something? 

I find said stats meaningless,its like when 'possession' is quoted  image.png.70664b445404f5a0f5df77790842b831.png NO not that type!! The other type,means nothing does it? One quick boot upfield & BANG  your 1-0 down...same with 'pass accuracy' can be 100% correct but if said pass's are sideways or back to the keeper,its just something to hide behind...Interesting article in todays paper about Footballs current obsession with playing out from the back....DIRECT  is the way to go for me,especially in our current situation.

Just got to do it quicker,& better...defend from the front,by keeping your opponent defending their goal.Bombard them with cross'es,long throws,corners, & 'tricky' set pieces

5 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Hypothetically, how long would you give him if things don't improve?

Because leave it too long and we'll end up adrift staring relegation in the face!

I agree with others around a dozen matches will give us an idea..but it depends what i see on the pitch.I want to see a plan coming together,and an improvement in both performances & results.

Frankly that may take more than one season.Why? because we still have 6 or 7 Players from last years failed Team having to play

19 minutes ago, parajack said:

I agree with others around a dozen matches will give us an idea..but it depends what i see on the pitch.I want to see a plan coming together,and an improvement in both performances & results.

Frankly that may take more than one season.Why? because we still have 6 or 7 Players from last years failed Team having to play

So what of results don't come in those 12 games?

No guarantee of improvement.

If we are relegated would you still keep Monk?

The manager and his coaches have a big job on.

The players have a big job on.

The OWNER has backed this group and he's stumping up for the project.

FFS give them time!!

It's a big rebuild that's hardly f*cking started. We're more than holding our own so far and the longer the group work together the better the outcomes will be imo..

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

This lot aren't fit to lace Carlos' team boots!

Agreed!

Makes you wonder why we're not very successful at the moment doesnt it?

See what happens when you investigate the footballing logic of the Monk haters and look into it a bit further than just 'I HATE MONK GET HIM SACKED' ??

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Agreed!

See what happens when you investigate the footballing logic of the Monk haters and look into it a bit further than just 'I HATE MONK GET HIM SACKED' ??

For the record I don't hate Monk. Life's too short to hate people. Plus I've never met then guy! 

Just think he's a poor manager who I have 0% confidence in.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Agreed!

I prefer to investigate Monk's record at Hillsbro mate, after all he is employed to get results, that is his JOB. But he ain't getting results. If someone is employed to do a job, and they don't they that job they get their P45. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Just now, S36 OWL said:

I prefer to investigate Monk's record at Hillsbro mate, after all he is employed to get results, that is his JOB. But he ain't getting results. If someone is employed to do a job, and they don't they that job they get their P45. 

Ah I wasn't aware that was your opinion mate - how come you've never shared this before with us?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Can I ask you something.

What would it take for you to want Monk gone?

My views are always irrelevant

I'm just an ordinary fan like everyone else 

It's not for ME to say I'm more important than Jesus or Noel Gallagher

That's not  for me to say

But let's just say my views are irrelevant

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

13 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

You work with the players at your disposal.

Would you encourage short goal kicks with a back three of Lees, van Aken and Iorfa (or Shaw / Palmer / Odubajo as we saw yesterday)?

It sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Understand that managers will tweak their style depending on players at their disposal. 

My original point was about how weird it was that Monk has progressed from being a possession based passing manager at Swansea to being such a good all manager now. 

We’re not just a bit more direct, he’s got an ideological commitment to route one. This analysis of the stats shows we were the second most direct team in the week Champs last season - https://theathletic.co.uk/1988826/2020/08/27/does-monkball-exist-how-do-wednesday-play-under-monk/ - only Cardiff, managed by Warnock & Harris last year FFS, were more direct than us. We’re the only team in the league who didn’t take one goal kick in the area ever under Monk. Why?

I think this ideological commitment to long ball isn’t getting the most out of our squad. I think Bannan/Luongo/Brown are a midfield who can play. I think DI and JVA are defenders who can bring it out. 

Monk has been in charge for over a year. We were around the play-off places when he took over. Have we progressed?

We have gone backwards IMO. As for entertainment value, absolutely dire.

SG was sacked by DC because he said he didn't want to watch the style of football on offer then. He's very, very fortunate to still be in the job.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

So what of results don't come in those 12 games?

No guarantee of improvement.

If we are relegated would you still keep Monk?

Told you,i dont know...would depend on the factors i referenced...if i think its the manager being clueless,no i wouldn't keep him,ime a SWFC supporter,not a Monk supporter

If i see players from last year simply not good enough,or not doing what the manager says,than maybe no i wouldn't want to see him go.

Personally i dont think we will have a Jos situation...I think he results & performances,will come..

3 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

He is getting results,1 win and two draws out of 4 games + one loss to a side likely to win promotion is getting results..Together with turning over a team that last year were in the Premier league.and keeping a clean sheet against them...0-0..thats improvement..

1 hour ago, beloved_aunt said:

Understand that managers will tweak their style depending on players at their disposal. 

My original point was about how weird it was that Monk has progressed from being a possession based passing manager at Swansea to being such a good all manager now. 

We’re not just a bit more direct, he’s got an ideological commitment to route one. This analysis of the stats shows we were the second most direct team in the week Champs last season - https://theathletic.co.uk/1988826/2020/08/27/does-monkball-exist-how-do-wednesday-play-under-monk/ - only Cardiff, managed by Warnock & Harris last year FFS, were more direct than us. We’re the only team in the league who didn’t take one goal kick in the area ever under Monk. Why?

I think this ideological commitment to long ball isn’t getting the most out of our squad. I think Bannan/Luongo/Brown are a midfield who can play. I think DI and JVA are defenders who can bring it out. 

Playing out from the back served Jos well didnt it? Its ideological nonsense,& Bruce by the way,was a fan of the long ball game...you just have to have the players to make it work.

Monk not quite there yet,maybe Patterson will be the player to join the dots...dont need sideways passes & passing back to the goalie

• Haha 1