GARRY MONK THREAD - All posts about the manager in here please

30 minutes ago, brando said:

Think it was laudrups team,Monk took it on..and spoilt it..!!

The Laudrup team that was in relegation when he was sacked  then steered to safety  by monk  then got them to 8th season after with there highest  top flight points total!  I'm not  pro monk or against  but the task he has  with us is so difficult  and going to take a lot of time and patience. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

I disagree a Poll is an important barometer on the fans' view of the clueless Monk.

Lose the next two games and if the deduction stays on appeal we are likely to need 57 points from 40 games to be safe.

That is way above the points return achieved under Monk to date

No its not its a massage to your ego as an uberfan who calls for the managers head after every setback 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Owlinmad said:

We would be 2 points off the playoff positions and mid table in any other season. Not too bad but could be better.

Poor closing down and marking cost us the goal. 

Next please.

That's a sensible way of looking at it. If, in a normal season, we had been offered that position after 4 games we would have been reasonably pleased.

Yesterday was a kick in the teeth, but let's just step back and be objective for a moment. If we'd gone behind early in the second half, but grafted away, kept our heads up and scored the equaliser deep into injury time then it would have felt very different.  It was the manner of losing the points that hurt most.

TBH I'm starting to get a bit tired of the constant negativity. Unfortunately, right at the moment, there are a group of fans who simply want Monk out, and who will ignore any positives and find fault in anything and everything.

• Like 2

Guest Jack the Hat
17 hours ago, Bez said:

Awful conditions but tactics were spot on. 

Play safe in the first half, looking to force QPR into an error. 

Defend incredibly given the injuries and conditions.  

Grow into the game, get the goal, nearly get another.   Constant pressure and harrying. 

Unlucky to concede because Lees went off.  

Well done boys.  Love this new attitude Wednesday.  

Explain this ‘spot on’ tactic please. We have suffered 2 injuries in bad conditions and have one substitution left. Rather than save it in case there was another injury he makes a ridiculously early substitution where he invites pressure on us by replacing an attacking midfielder with a poor defensive one at a time when we had just got on top. And to make it worse the lad he took off was 18 and could have run all afternoon.

his team selection was wrong and you can guarantee his substitutions will make the team worse which is why we concede so many late goals. It seems obvious to me.

50 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Reflecting on the season to date I do believe that if we keep the uninspliring and clueless Monk we have little chance of making the promised land of 17th place.

We have won one game at home since Christmas under Monk and that was in the 95th minute against a poor Charlton side who were subsequently relegated.

It is surely time for an In/Out Poll on Monk - he is the Emperor's Clothes.

So because you don’t rate him we should have a poll. A poll should be unbiased and you start with a leading comment. 
Sadly, the site is basically becoming about Monk and whatever the team achieves, some fans won’t take to him. 

Any thread that isn’t about him turns eventually into one about him, last night the site host closed a thread because of the ‘Bile’. It must be bloody exhausting for all those sticking a pin in an effigy, looking for an excuse to criticise the manager.

There’s a reason we can’t attract the kind of manager - Howe / Hughton etc - that would bring more optimism and desired progress.  

Sort that problem out and we can move forward. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Beggars can’t be choosers.

little to lose - keep us up, he’s a hero, go down and the deduction will be blamed 

Or he might just decide that we're not the ideal opportunity. The fact that a manager is out of work doesn't mean they'll accept the first offer they receive. The smart ones know they can wait for the right club.

58 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Reflecting on the season to date I do believe that if we keep the uninspliring and clueless Monk we have little chance of making the promised land of 17th place.

We have won one game at home since Christmas under Monk and that was in the 95th minute against a poor Charlton side who were subsequently relegated.

It is surely time for an In/Out Poll on Monk - he is the Emperor's Clothes.

4 matches in ffs, I suggest you stop going to games lol

• Like 1

Monk is an awful manager. There's no excuses now, he's got his own staff and he's had over a year and rebuilt the squad. Yet, we still play the same negative hoofball at home. We set up to nullify the opposition at home, when it sometimes, works away from home yet at home it just nullifies ourselves.

Negative home tactics and draws will do us no good, especially in a congested season starting on minus points. I hope Monk can prove some of us wrong, has regardless of whoever the manager is results are what's most important but it already doesn't look like he will last the season. There's been no change to last seasons tactics and dire performances, which will ultimately take us down. 

45 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

But why did they change at the start of the 2nd half? they'd clearly been told to pass it as they played out from the back constantly where as the first half Dawson would have launched it.

I don't think its fully the players fault, they've clearly been told to do that.

Probably told to work through the conditions. Plus one of the weaknesses identified before the game was qprs weakness from set plays so perhaps being more direct and trying to win free kicks up the pitch was the initial idea before changing it.

Guest Jack the Hat

Seems like a million times. Even though I was mega disappointed we appointed Monk I have tried to get behind him. But I have seen enough now to know he won’t get us where we want to be. I’ve known for a while. I think most of us know this. His continuing baffling team selections and suicidal substitutions came to a head yesterday when he took off an attacking midfielder and replaced him with a substandard defensive midfielder to invite pressure on us when we were finally getting on top, in the process using our final substitution way too early. It was unnecessarily risky when the 18 year old guy he took off could have run all afternoon. And AGAIN his stupidity cost us with Lees injury. I have never known a manager make such poor substitutions and I have been subjected to some poor managers.

But now I am in that familiar no mans land where I know we are going nowhere but have to wait until the inevitable happens and we start again with a new manager. It’s like holding on to a rising balloon. The longer you hold on the more it hurts when you let go. Please let go DC - we are heading for outer space.

10 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Clearly you didn’t do your homework because he’s never said that. 

He once said diplomatically when asked about it he wouldn't want the hassle as he lives in the city and people take it as gospel  forgetting we already had a manager at the time .

Shall I drive 15 minutes to work or commute 180 miles ? Hmm tricky 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Probably told to work through the conditions. Plus one of the weaknesses identified before the game was qprs weakness from set plays so perhaps being more direct and trying to win free kicks up the pitch was the initial idea before changing it.

I wonder if we identified that they were a side with height?

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, Owlstastic said:

Just awful tactics from Monk. He hasn't got a clue. 

Incredibly unfair.

Our hoof it into touch from kick off was rather well executed.

We have a manager who was a CB, we now have an assistant who was a CF...we may have to wait until we hire another assistant who was a CM and an assistant who was a Goalkeeper before they can join the dots?