GARRY MONK THREAD - All posts about the manager in here please

Can blame injuries all you want. But as a defensive unit we aren’t set up properly to defend. There was no organisation. 

Our entire central midfield is all over the place.

They should be a solid bank of 3 right infront of the back 5 at this stage of the game.

Luongo is at LB marking no one. Bannan is marking the same player that Van Aken is the player behind him should be being marked by the LWB.

Joey is in no mans land infront on the right side of the box. Marking no one. He’s about 10 yards away from the crosser. He is suppose to be the Anchor place right infront of the 3 CBs. 

Harris takes up a sort of position a natural winger would take up just outside the box. A wing back needs to get back in and join the back 5. 

Odubajo, Paterson and Van Aken aren’t in a straight line. Basic defending you stay in a strict line. They are all being pulled all over place. Only Van Aken is in the box defending a long punt into the box. It’s absolutely atrocious. 

15EC2D87-EC31-4EC1-ABE7-8BDF71D63FC9.png

16 hours ago, Bez said:

As usual the expectations of the fans are ridiculous.  

Same of fans, thinking we should play like world beaters, Chansiri should spend millions and millions on players and Guardiola should be manager. 

Get a grip.  

That was a solid, high effort Championship performance. 

I can remember times when we were desperate for commitment like that. 

Spot on Bez! Well said!

• Love 1

Just now, sheriwozgod said:

Hope the injury to Liam Shaw isn`t too bad , but for the life of me can someone explain why Monk is picking a lad ,who has spent all his fledgling career as a box to box midfielder ,  as a central defender ?

Why does Monk do what he does? The question that has perplexed many an Owls fan re tactics, team line-ups and substitutions .

45 minutes ago, Ian said:

Daz, would you be happier had we won 8 of the last 10 games last season (assuming that kept us in this division) and then drawn all our 4 games this season or with the well reported last 26 games stat (and that is carefully chosen to show the worst) and 5 points so far this season

The 26 game stat is a bit daft given that 22 of the games are absolutely irrelevant to how we do this season

If we'd won 8 of the last 10 games last season the 12 point deduction would have been applied last season and we would have started on zero this season ... So it's very relevant

2 minutes ago, erowl said:

If we'd won 8 of the last 10 games last season the 12 point deduction would have been applied last season and we would have started on zero this season ... So it's very relevant

No it would not, no chance.

Just now, Asio otus said:

No it would not, no chance.

Well the 3 man panel that adjudicated said that they wouldn't apply it last season because it would have relegated us and that wasn't fair.

The EFL wanted it applied to last season.

If we had been more than 12 points above the relegation zone it would have been applied last season ... Read the panel verdict.

1 minute ago, erowl said:

Well the 3 man panel that adjudicated said that they wouldn't apply it last season because it would have relegated us and that wasn't fair.

The EFL wanted it applied to last season.

If we had been more than 12 points above the relegation zone it would have been applied last season ... Read the panel verdict.

The EFL wanted to punish us , yes they would have relegated us last season, but for timings. If we had enough points they still would not have applied it as that would not seem as a punishment other clubs would not have been happy. Also it was so late ,appeal process did not allow for it to be sorted in time. 

Lees going off was the last straw, how Monk is to blame for 3 Defenders getting injured is beyong imagination. Dele was ok but it was his first game and I am sure he will be a great player. Patterson was knackered and would have been brought off had Lees not been injured. 

Brown missing was a big blow, we didn't create much for our forwards which has been a problem for ages. Reach has to stay on the left for me , only one likely to get crosses in while Harris is a hard worker but needs to start developing more end product

Going forward we still need a CF and LWB

Guest gizowl

Dawson once again in no mans land for the goal, he should either commit and come for the cross or stay on his line but he did neither and gave Bonne the whole goal to plant his header in, he only shouts in frustration when the inevitable has happened. WE NEED A BETTER KEEPER. Just as vital as finding a goal scorer. 

It’s challenging to emotionally invest in this season as it stands. It’s not Monk’s fault we started on -12 points, he’s out of his depth though and just adds zero confidence in us limping out of this absolute mess.

It’s simple for me though, I’m just looking at it as 8 points off safety with 42 to go, nothing more than that. As callous as it sounds, I’m hoping someone else goes into administration too.

This was really annoying me in the first half yesterday. Aimless hoof ball straight back to QPR. Anyone watching could see it wasn't working - bar Monk?

Even more puzzling is when you do see us passing it, we look quite a decent side. Van Aken is quite good on the ball for example and more than capable of bringing it out and putting a decent pass into the  midfield / wide players. 

Just awful tactics from Monk. He hasn't got a clue. 

• Like 1

We have at best a mid table squad, after 4 games we would be 8th-12th without the points deduction. You can’t just say we need to pick up more points because  we started on -12, if it was that easy then surely every club would just say and do that? 

We are right where we should be given the players we have but are finally showing signs of having a structure or plan in place off the field (actually employing coaches, lower wage bill etc)

16 hours ago, No Uniform said:

We didn't play great. But did what we could under the circumstances. Unlucky and that is all. Let's be honest people are looking for amy excuse

What can any manager do when he loses 3 centre backs within 90 minutes?.

Maybe they we practicing that all week😂

No one with any sense expected any thing more than safety this season.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

You work with the players at your disposal.

Would you encourage short goal kicks with a back three of Lees, van Aken and Iorfa (or Shaw / Palmer / Odubajo as we saw yesterday)?

It sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

No, but you can still play football on the front foot.

• Like 1

Reflecting on the season to date I do believe that if we keep the uninspliring and clueless Monk we have little chance of making the promised land of 17th place.

We have won one game at home since Christmas under Monk and that was in the 95th minute against a poor Charlton side who were subsequently relegated.

It is surely time for an In/Out Poll on Monk - he is the Emperor's Clothes.

• Haha 1

No point,  Monk and his staff aren’t going anywhere.  Even if the gap becomes bigger I personally doubt Chansiri is that bothered now and won’t feel it’s monk’s fault anyway.  

We just have to hope that we can sign some decent players in the next 2 weeks. If we don’t it will be a long season 

• Like 1