GARRY MONK THREAD - All posts about the manager in here please

I think right now with the predicament we are in I doubt a big name would come. 

I’d like us to bring Mick McCarthy in until the end of the season with the remit of just keeping us up. Then reassess, similar to Middlesbrough getting Warnock last season. 

We just need to stay up this season. He had an Ipswich side overachieving every single year on a shoe string budget. Also has a couple of titles on his CV.

May not be pretty but he’s effective. Because for the last 12 months it’s not been pretty and it’s been ineffective. 

7 hours ago, Daz said:

Do you think we can get to the minimum 17 wins needed based on what you have seen so far? 

1 win in 4 leaves us well short, and if that’s not a concern then I wonder what is. 

We we have to do better than we’ve done so far, and that’s a fact!

Daz, would you be happier had we won 8 of the last 10 games last season (assuming that kept us in this division) and then drawn all our 4 games this season or with the well reported last 26 games stat (and that is carefully chosen to show the worst) and 5 points so far this season

The 26 game stat is a bit daft given that 22 of the games are absolutely irrelevant to how we do this season

5 hours ago, sethman75 said:

We will be relegated if Dawson is allowed to play all season, sorry but he costs us points every game.

Not good enough starting with -12 points

Very game....interesting....please share with us how he cost us points away at cardiff?

I’ll give you that his failure to score against Watford probably cost us 2 points

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

It was the weather, injuries, 10 men, the pitch, the referee, fans not supporting, and time of year.

Any more excuses for Monk ?

Why do we need 'excuses' for Monk?

You speak as if yesterday was a terrible performance which saw us played off the park and on the receiving end of a drubbing; it wasn't.

It was a typical battle between two average Championship sides who largely cancelled each other out and made it a difficult afternoon for each other. 

We weren't great, but we weren't bad either. As I said, it was a typical Championship battle. At the start of the second half, I thought we got on top of them and deserved to take the lead. But for some poor finishing and bad luck, we'd have extended our lead.

We defended well with 11 men on the pitch. Unfortunately, we suffered a ridiculous sequence of injuries which saw us reduced to ten men, and the equaliser came in the 96th minute whilst our centrebacks were Odubajo, Paterson and van Aken.

It was intensely frustrating, but sometimes these things conspire against you.

We've made a solid start to the season in our opening four games. To have taken five points from Cardiff, Watford, Bristol City and QPR is better than many on here were predicting and gives us a platform on which to build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Aim it at me mate...I fully get your point...I don't have a problem....I don't fall out over opinions on a football game...but I simply see the room for error is f.ookin' limited this season, given the 12 point deduction....We simply have to keep any mistakes to a minmum, be it manager or player...

I don’t think you’ll find a single person on here who agrees we can’t afford mistakes this season, but like every single season, we will make them.  

I’d suggest a large proportion of us on here would have been expecting that equaliser the longer the game went on.  If there was an appropriate Latin phrase for this kind of thing, it would simply have to be our motto.  

I don’t think many of us would have thought that game was safe with another manager was in charge - say Steve Bruce, Nigel Pearson or Paul Cook for example.  I do however think the views on here would have been different, in that it was the injuries, Van Aken not jumping an inch higher etc that cost us the three points, rather than the manager.  

Opinions and all that. 

Guest Hornsby

And only us fans left now that get it.

Paul Warne referenced Johnny Quinn on RS after Rotherhan game saying that he'd spoke to his players about what he meant to Millers. 

You can't imagine anyone at Hillsborough yesterday talking about the Mighty Quinn and what an idol he was to so many of us oldies.

It's so over. 

7 hours ago, Daz said:

Do you think we can get to the minimum 17 wins needed based on what you have seen so far? 

1 win in 4 leaves us well short, and if that’s not a concern then I wonder what is. 

We we have to do better than we’ve done so far, and that’s a fact!

Yes, 1 win in 4 leaves us short and our current points per game average would see us end the season on 45 points (following the deduction), which is just below the average points required to stay up in the Championship.

But we're looking at it after 4 games, which is far too early to start panicking.

If we win our next game, then our points per game jumps to 1.6 and we'd be looking at finishing the season on 61 points. Equally though, that wouldn't suggest we were on track for a successful season, as it would be based on just the opening 5 games.

We'll have tough runs of games where we struggle for points, and we'll have easier spells where the points roll in more readily. Our opening 4 games against Cardiff, Watford, Bristol City and QPR probably err towards the tougher end of the spectrum, but ultimately it's just too early to tell.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Like 1

Guest Hornsby

Pearson , Cooky.

Both would suggest Chansiri's decided to delegate at last and Paxo's influence had diminished.

Edited by Hornsby

2 hours ago, Paul.. said:

Second half we scored, we hit the bar, we had a 30 pass move where QPR couldn't get close to us ending with a Reach volley that on another day maybe could have been the second goal, but we were negative and threw away the game, yeah right sure...

Key midfielder injured, primary defender injured, then replacement injured, then replacement injured, then Lees injured, then Lees leave the pitch and we're down to 10 men, but yeah we were negative and it was all Monk's fault, yeah right sure...

Did half the people bitching and moaning actually watch the match? Sure first half we weren't at it as much as we should have been, but we did ok, we were competitive and never really looked in danger, stepped it up second half despite a third defensive change and I thought we did fairly well, not brilliant but nowhere near as bad as some are making out, at full strength we would have won comfortably IMO.

And not forgetting a ref who blew for every little bit of physical contact in the first half as well, some of the calls for fouls against us were shocking!

Common sense isn’t it? All you Have to do is watch the game without any preconceived ideas, while understanding there are no guarantees that any side will win. 
I have a problem with fair weather friends who expect everything to be easy and in their favour. It’s Garry Monk’s fault, Cam Dawson’s fault, Adam Reach’s fault etc etc, but actually the haters really need to grow up.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

And only us fans left now that get it.

Paul Warne referenced Johnny Quinn on RS after Rotherhan game saying that he'd spoke to his players about what he meant to Millers. 

You can't imagine anyone at Hillsborough yesterday talking about the Mighty Quinn and what an idol he was to so many of us oldies.

It's so over. 

Those were the days Hornsby! RIP Johnny Quinn.

4 hours ago, new zealand owl said:

Sick and tired of people reeling off our post xmas form like it has a bearing on the points total this season. If we had the same starting players and bench then absolutely it brings context but we haven't so it doesn't.

What is important is how we have looked so far this season and despite organisation and decent team spirit we don't look like we will score enough goals to get to 60 points. 

Concerned but let's see what happens before the window shuts 

I’d take solace in the fact that we  were only a goalscorer away, and the window was still open, if it were true. Undoubtably we need a goalscorer, but there are fundamental issues to be resolved about the way we are being asked to play. Just tacking on a goalscorer won’t solve those

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Why do we need 'excuses' for Monk?

You speak as if yesterday was a terrible performance which saw us played off the park and on the receiving end of a drubbing; it wasn't.

It was a typical battle between two average Championship sides who largely cancelled each other out and made it a difficult afternoon for each other. 

We weren't great, but we weren't bad either. As I said, it was a typical Championship battle. At the start of the second half, I thought we got on top of them and deserved to take the lead. But for some poor finishing and bad luck, we'd have extended our lead.

We defended well with 11 men on the pitch. Unfortunately, we suffered a ridiculous sequence of injuries which saw us reduced to ten men, and the equaliser came in the 96th minute whilst our centrebacks were Odubajo, Paterson and van Aken.

It was intensely frustrating, but sometimes these things conspire against you.

We've made a solid start to the season in our opening four games. To have taken five points from Cardiff, Watford, Bristol City and QPR is better than many on here were predicting and gives us a platform on which to build.

You’re a bit too sensible for this site AreNot! I award you Post of the Day!

• Haha 1