GARRY MONK THREAD - All posts about the manager in here please

Just now, @owlstalk said:

That's fair enough

Let's hope for improvements that can make everyone happy again

Given Chansiri's record, we should be under no illusion that Monk will be fired.

He is here for the season,

The sooner Monk gets a grip the better !

Having trusted staff and new players should make this possible. 

Just now, Django said:

I genuinely don’t think we’ll go down. We’ve cut the deficit in only 4 games so I don’t see amy danger over the next 42

Lomg term I don’t see Monk being successful here. To succeed at Wednesday we tend to need a big personality. A manager who we believe in and can get behind. Monk isn’t it imo 

Nailed it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DSandersonOWL said:

Given Chansiri's record, we should be under no illusion that Monk will be fired.

He is here for the season,

The sooner Monk gets a grip the better !

Having trusted staff and new players should make this possible. 

Let's hope so mate

Improvements are needed  (so is a striker)

Owlstalk Shop

Thing is, away from home, I think we are often pretty decent under Monk. 

Our approach works quite well. We keep it tight and are often quite good at punishing the mistakes of home teams. 

The problem is when you are at Hillsborough (whether fans are there or not), you've got to be getting on top of the opposition. Any team wanting to have a strong home record needs to be doing that. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I would say Monk is culpable for not working to a plan. Look I dislike 3-5-2, I don’t think it suits the players we have, but if the manager insists on using the system, at least bring in the players to make it work. The midfield is OK, in fact it’s good, but what about the defence and attack. The biggest problem is the back 3 (5) with at least two of the centre backs not really comfortable in a back three. 
All the wing backs look makeshift, either because they are, or because the manager is constantly changing them. As I said, I prefer a flat back four, but at least use the ones who actually are wing backs, Odubajo and Penney. If he feels he can’t rely on them, target players who can do the job. 
Up front, the plan is a pair, but he’s already brought in 3 strikers and there’s not a pairing in sight. 
In fact, I’d say the ones he’s brought in, lend themselves more towards a front three. 
Today for example, I’d have gone with a four at the back, instead of drafting in an experienced midfielder in a strange position. Playing Paterson, Windass and Kachunga would have caused them a few more problems. It’s clear the 3-5-2 doesn’t work for us, and yet he still persists with it He’s even instructed the U23s and the U18s to play that way They haven’t won a game so far this season

It's Crackers. You certainly have to have the players for 3-5-2. Very effective when someone does. 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Thing is, away from home, I think we are often pretty decent under Monk. 

Our approach works quite well. We keep it tight and are often quite good at punishing the mistakes of home teams. 

The problem is when you are at Hillsborough (whether fans are there or not), you've got to be getting on top of the opposition. Any team wanting to have a strong home record needs to be doing that. 

Agreed

Without fans tho, isn’t this abit strange 

Just now, Ronio said:

If we want to see an improvement, we should change the system to something the players are more familiar with.  

442 and I have no doubt the players will put in a better performance all round.  

I agree wholeheartedly, but it ain't fashionable and Monk won't want to be seen to lose face as it would make our summers recruitment seem a farce (like most things at Hillsborough)

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If we can't attend  games or sell tickets why would Chansiri sack Monk for lack of ticket sales????

Performances and results after Xmas were overall, as bad as it gets. 
He didn’t sack him. He backed him with new players and back room staff. 
Yet some people hope and think that a short run of unfavourable results at the start of a new season will see Monk gone. 
Genuine question, to those in the know, how much per month will he have to shell out if he gets rid of Monk, and potentially the back room team. 

Despite already being under the cosh financially and like all other clubs, now facing further financial uncertainty, how much more is DC / the club willing to waste. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Long ball first half

Get a goal

We’re doing well and on top

Brings off FDB who is just getting into the game

Goes backs the the wall with 35 mins left

Inverts the wingers despite the wingers being on the right side serving us PERFECTLY WELL

Absolutely clueless joke of a manager

Only silver lining is that the Monk apologists can now see it clearly 

Oh and Van Aken was poo all day and bailed out a dozen times by Lees who was OUTSTANDING

fizz off Monk, UTO

Disagree with that you mothers

You’re clearly deranged. Are you sure you’re a Wednesday fan? ( not that the two don’t go together)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mus said:

You can't help injuries, but this conceding in the last minute is too common. It's a sign of weakness which other teams now easily exploit.

Exactly 

Best tactic against us is to keep it tight then bombard our flat back 8 for the last 20 minutes 

• Like 1

I'm not convinced the 3-5-2 is at the root of our problems. I actually quite like it, to be honest, and the puzzling thing about today's performance is that we've shown we really can play with that system in the first halves of the Watford and Bristol City games, as well as for much of the Cardiff game.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Performances and results after Xmas were overall, as bad as it gets. 
He didn’t sack him. He backed him with new players and back room staff. 
Yet some people hope and think that a short run of unfavourable results at the start of a new season will see Monk gone. 
Genuine question, to those in the know, how much per month will he have to shell out if he gets rid of Monk, and potentially the back room team. 

Despite already being under the cosh financially and like all other clubs, now facing further financial uncertainty, how much more is DC / the club willing to waste. 

DC should have thought of this when he backed the wrong horse. This is by no way a short unfavorable run of results. How much will it cost to keep him, our championship status??? how much does that cost compare say getting rid of some backroom staff and a manager, you do the maths.

2 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

DC should have thought of this when he backed the wrong horse. This is by no way a short unfavorable run of results. How much will it cost to keep him, our championship status??? how much does that cost compare say getting rid of some backroom staff and a manager, you do the maths.

Still not listening are you. As proven in previous threads, you only answer the points you chose to. 

I suppose we’ll just to have put up with your daily whining as you’ve already assumed the club is going down.  4 games in and you’ve written them off. I bet you loved it when QPR equalised.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Still not listening are you. As proven in previous threads, you only answer the points you chose to. 

I suppose we’ll just to have put up with your daily whining as you’ve already assumed the club is going down.  4 games in and you’ve written them off. I bet you loved it when QPR equalised.

Not listening :biggrin: