GARRY MONK THREAD - All posts about the manager in here please

4 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

No that was the man who knows little about football (by his own admission) who appointed the manager who (from what he has served up in his time here) knows little about how to create a winning team.

Like i said,hold your fire,give him a little time...

34 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Look, I'm one of the more anti-Monk posters on this site.

But (having looked at the first two pages only), I can't believe the hysteria on here. It was a dreadful performance in the first half, second was 'meh'... it's not a ringing endorsement of Monk's management which I personally believe has been pretty dogpoop... 

But look at our back three at the end of that match. No Iorfa, Börner, Lees, Palmer, Shaw or Dunkley there. Our new attacker/striker playing CB next to a right wing back and a CB that still has a lot of question marks over his head. And there was no better option. 

How the diddlyfuck can Monk be held responsible for that sort of circumstance? Two CB's off for injury in the same game is a heck of a rarity, and a reyt pain if you've got three of your better CB's out already. 

You can accuse him of being naff in many regards, but it's nonsense to accuse Monk of being much more than an atrocious victim of circumstance today. Hysterical, reactionary nonsense.

Personally I accuse Monk of being an incompetent fool. Hope to be wrong, as he is going nowhere !

2 hours ago, 0114 said:

Yep, all the things I said about Ipswich getting in the play offs, then going down after he left and winning titles at Sunderland and Wolves were facts. 

2005 and 2009. 

What years did Monk win titles at Swansea, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Birmingham or ourselves? 

Infant name a year Monk got any of those sides in the play offs? Even though he worked with huge budgets. 

He’s been out of work for 5 months having guided Ireland to Euro 2020. Only leaving as Ireland had a pre agreement that Stephen Kenny would take over this summer. 

Imagine if you’d been a Leeds fan when they appointment Bielsa because he was out of work eh :laugh:

😆 Let's see where McCarthys next job is at? 

I'm sure he'll end up at a top club based on his record. Any club with ambition will be chomping at the bit, oh hang on a minute . . . . .

Comparing Bielsa and McCarthy, I'm embarrassed for you 😆😆 

2 hours ago, Ronio said:

I think it was about the 66th minute when we decided to sit back and at times have 7 players in the back line.  

I think it was a negative approach to take so early on, also as the home team. 

As others have said, we should have pushed on and finished them off.  

We also had two strikers on the bench but decided not to use them.  

No we prefer to bring Joey on who isn't good enough by a long long way, bit like our manager.

38 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

But (having looked at the first two pages only), I can't believe the hysteria on here. It was a dreadful performance in the first half, second was 'meh'... it's not a ringing endorsement of Monk's management which I personally believe has been pretty dogpoop... 

But look at our back three at the end of that match. No Iorfa, Börner, Lees, Palmer, Shaw or Dunkley there. Our new attacker/striker playing CB next to a right wing back and a CB that still has a lot of question marks over his head. And there was no better option. 

How the diddlyfuck can Monk be held responsible for that sort of circumstance? Two CB's off for injury in the same game is a heck of a rarity, and a reyt pain if you've got three of your better CB's out already. 

You can accuse him of being naff in many regards, but it's nonsense to accuse Monk of being much more than an atrocious victim of circumstance today. Hysterical, reactionary nonsense.

None of this has anything to do with how we set up going forward. We were extremely poor in that regard.

The biggest problem that the defensive injury issues posed during the game, aside from conceding in the last minute, were the fact we lost two possibilities to change things tactically from the bench. But other than that, there was little excuse for what we did when we had the ball.

53 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Did you watch the game? Serious question. Otherwise then, yes, you are being too assuming. No evidence of Dele slowing today. Wasn’t making less runs or tackles. Wasn’t making fouls because he was slowing down. No cramp. No obvious lactic acid build up. No pausing for breath or signalling to the bench. Do you believe that today’s game was played at a high tempo, relative to a standard championship game? 
As for your reference to velocity ..... ???

Velocity in terms of the physical side...I don’t known I’m clutching at straws admittedly, just thinking of reasons as to why he took him off, apart from just he’s a ‘useless manager’ as some people suggest 

And yes I did watch the game, and what I noticed was that the sub had nothing to do with the result. Losing Lees however 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1

Can’t even be bothered to read the comments of all the drama queens on this thread. 
it was gutting to lose 3 points in the 96th min, but we were down to 10 men after about the 5th injury of the past 24 hours or so! 
If they hadn’t scored right at the death, this thread would not have started and everyone would be saying what a brilliant start to the season! 
Fine margins, relax everyone, we will be fine! 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Monk chose to replace our best defender with a 19 year old midfielder who has never played a game at this level at CB.

Monk chose to stick with a 5-3-2 formation with 3 CB's despite only having 2 CB's in the squad.

Monk continued with the 3 CB's formation despite having to use 2 full-backs in that position during the game, one of which nobody would ever pick to play at CB.

Monk chose to make his 3rd sub with 25 minutes left, taking off a player that didn't look like he needed to be subbed, leaving us with no subs left, thus going down to 10 men later in the game.

Monk chose to move Reach to the right when we were on top and causing problems directly as a result of his play down the left.

The circumstances were a little against us today but that shouldn't detract from the fact that the performance was much the same as our home performances have been under Monk for the best part of a year - laboured with little intent. What was the excuse for playing like that in the first half in a game we have to be looking to take the initiative to win?

Monk told us that after 3 months of lockdown we would come back refreshed with a better attitude  - we picked up 8 points from 9 games.

We were then informed that it would be different with a new coaching staff and hungry young players. It may be early days but we have picked up 5 points from 4 games and are playing in much the same way. The defending is better but the chances created are few and far between and the tempo is hardly electric. 

It is as uninspiring as it has been for a year under him, with 1 home win in 2020 and no games in which we have scored more than 1 at Hillsborough since 7th December 2019.  

Yep, got to give it to Monk, he should be in politics the amount of spin he gives. Missed his vocation, he's ideally suited to telling lies and kissing babies.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Pretty much every example I've ever seen of people who post this "I hope he proves me wrong" or "I would love to be proven wrong" never seems to REALLY be the case

Not if we're being honest here...

I hate it when we lose or don't get the right result or the result we need, regardless of the manager, puts me in a bad mood for at least the rest of the day. I know I wear it too much and should shrug it off but I've always been like this.

I have been frustrated as hell watching us under Monk surprised the laptop has survived the disappointment of many of the lockdown games but I would be absolutely delighted if he turned us into a winning team.

I don't have faith in him doing so though.  

Not sure why people are so surprised - I can’t think of a side that concedes as many last minute goals as we do.

We have to score more than one goal - it simply isn’t enough in a league where so many sides are evenly matched.

it was as inevitable as night follows day - and just makes our task even harder.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Pretty much every example I've ever seen of people who post this "I hope he proves me wrong" or "I would love to be proven wrong" never seems to REALLY be the case

Not if we're being honest here...

Of course lots of us really want to get relegated !  Not everyone matches your level of cynicism. 

46 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Monk didn't pick Borner out of choice as he has done all season in the league. He also chose to start with a novice defensive midfielder in a back 3 and went with a back 3 from the start when he only had 2 CB's in the squad.

Guest Therealrealist
2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm finding it interesting to see which fans are up for the tough season ahead, and who's already given up, thrown the towel in and started crying after just a few games

The fans are not goin to get us relegated or promoted

Just now, Therealrealist said:

The fans are not goin to get us relegated or promoted

Hi mate,

Good evening - thank you for your response that's very kind of you.

Now, if you could please endulge me I would be most grateful if you could possibly just point me to anywhere where I've suggested such a thing?

Kind regards

X

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I'm the one who's getting ripped to bits for daring to stay positive 

No-one is ripping you to bits.

I start every match positive and end up...  Today being a good example.

Problem is Monk's 2020 record. When is he going to turn it round?