GARRY MONK THREAD - All posts about the manager in here please

4 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

That’s the longest he’s played in any league match this season right? so I’d say that along with the tempo and velocity which comes with that, for someone in their first professional season at 19? Dunno, maybe I’m being too assuming 

Don’t talk soft

He played 90 mins of a cup tie against a PL team

That was a make shift starting 11 today 

We played a long ball 1st half and looked awful. Baz has no role in a long ball game, pointless playing him in that system.

Luongo was great and MOM today.

Windass is gash...

Kachunga/Paterson is the pairing.

Pelupessy, Lees (let me explain), Baz, Reach, Dawson all not good enough.

Lees old school stopper but has no pace, can’t pass a ball and his headers always go to opposition (he had a bit better game today).

Baz too light weight and his set pieces are ALL rubbish. One great ball in 5 games led to our goal but we need more great balls from good positions. He plays pointless balls for stats.

Monk got it wrong today with Pelupessy...very wrong. Cost us 2pts.

Kachunga for Windass was the last 10 min sub and bring Dele alongside Baz.

Edited by toooldforthis
  • Love 1

I share many of our fans’ long-term (and STILL growing, almost by the week) frustrations re: sloppy passing, chronic lack of bite in the final third, and utterly ludicrous fragility from 85min onwards.

These same three things have been driving me crazy for over a full calendar year now, and there’s been little sign of improvement despite numerous system shuffles and personnel changes. It’s very difficult to understand how some of these issues appear to have become so deeply embedded in the very fabric of the club, and it’s easy to let a touch of despondency creep in under those circumstances.

BUT, I am trying to focus on the fact that we’d be comfortably mid-table at this stage if it weren’t for the deduction - despite the fact that I really don’t believe we necessarily have a ‘comfortably mid-table’ matchday squad assembled as yet. In that sense, I’m actually reasonably pleased with our start to what was always going to be a very difficult campaign.

Points-wise, we’re headed in the right direction, albeit slower than we’d like. We’ll not finish bottom three if we stay on this trajectory for a whole season, and that’s the most important thing - but my god, it’s garbage to watch.

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

That’s the longest he’s played in any league match this season right? so I’d say that along with the tempo and velocity which comes with that, for someone in their first professional season at 19? Dunno, maybe I’m being too assuming 

Did you watch the game? Serious question. Otherwise then, yes, you are being too assuming. No evidence of Dele slowing today. Wasn’t making less runs or tackles. Wasn’t making fouls because he was slowing down. No cramp. No obvious lactic acid build up. No pausing for breath or signalling to the bench. Do you believe that today’s game was played at a high tempo, relative to a standard championship game? 
As for your reference to velocity ..... ???

• Like 2

2 hours ago, parajack said:

There are signs but with some 6 or 7 first team players still in the squad from last season,its inevitable there will be some aspects of last season still likley to rear its ugly head....we must be patient....its all we have

Or the same manager still from last season it's inevitable there will be some aspects of last season still likely to rear it's ugly head

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue and white said:

The squad is taking shape but the manager is terrible.

He should have walked after the debacle that was last season and instead he has been allowed to bring in his own team, another clueless decision from Chansiri.

Bang on mate 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, basegreenowl said:

We need to stop playing Russian Roulette with this lack of firepower. Going into this season we had Monk's previous points yeald, and minus twelve points staring back at us. For me, and I'm sure many others, with these negatives to deal with we really needed to get the strikers in before a ball was kicked. Because strikers need to settle. Right? We have done OK considering there's been little there. Was this big struggle needed? But somehow could we have got them deals wrapped up early? Yes Monk has done well getting the other players in but goals win games. Things could certainly have been better points wise and the strikers would have been bedded in more on some earl arrival. Are we going to leave it to 11pm on deadline day. Why? Then will it be four to five weeks before anyone new could possibly start settling in. A striker can maybe take longer to settle. WE CAN'T AFFORD TO BE MESSING AROUND HOPING ON LUCK OR SOMETHING. WE NEED GOALS!! I'd say two strikers. Why compromise? Other areas of the team strengthening would prove helpful too. Come on Monk sort goals out in this team! Set pieces and who's best with em and all that. It needed sorting like months back so can we please gear this club up!! We are meant to be Sheffield Wednesday aren't we!! 

I would say Monk is culpable for not working to a plan. Look I dislike 3-5-2, I don’t think it suits the players we have, but if the manager insists on using the system, at least bring in the players to make it work. The midfield is OK, in fact it’s good, but what about the defence and attack. The biggest problem is the back 3 (5) with at least two of the centre backs not really comfortable in a back three. 
All the wing backs look makeshift, either because they are, or because the manager is constantly changing them. As I said, I prefer a flat back four, but at least use the ones who actually are wing backs, Odubajo and Penney. If he feels he can’t rely on them, target players who can do the job. 
Up front, the plan is a pair, but he’s already brought in 3 strikers and there’s not a pairing in sight. 
In fact, I’d say the ones he’s brought in, lend themselves more towards a front three. 
Today for example, I’d have gone with a four at the back, instead of drafting in an experienced midfielder in a strange position. Playing Paterson, Windass and Kachunga would have caused them a few more problems. It’s clear the 3-5-2 doesn’t work for us, and yet he still persists with it He’s even instructed the U23s and the U18s to play that way They haven’t won a game so far this season

Edited by gurujuan

Look, I'm one of the more anti-Monk posters on this site.

But (having looked at the first two pages only), I can't believe the hysteria on here. It was a dreadful performance in the first half, second was 'meh'... it's not a ringing endorsement of Monk's management which I personally believe has been pretty dogpoop... 

But look at our back three at the end of that match. No Iorfa, Börner, Lees, Palmer, Shaw or Dunkley there. Our new attacker/striker playing CB next to a right wing back and a CB that still has a lot of question marks over his head. And there was no better option. 

How the diddlyfuck can Monk be held responsible for that sort of circumstance? Two CB's off for injury in the same game is a heck of a rarity, and a reyt pain if you've got three of your better CB's out already. 

You can accuse him of being naff in many regards, but it's nonsense to accuse Monk of being much more than an atrocious victim of circumstance today. Hysterical, reactionary nonsense.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DSandersonOWL said:

Monk is here to stay.

Better get used to that sad fact...

Sadly we have a clueless owner who seems happy to see his club in league one next season, because that's exactly where we are heading under Monk 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

My appoligies, everything's rosy. I will see you in league one next season. 

Wonder if season ticket prices will go down next season if we are in the 3rd division? Hope so as the £10 value I am wiping off the value of next seasons ticket with every home game is not currently proving to be great value! 

26 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Or the same manager still from last season it's inevitable there will be some aspects of last season still likely to rear it's ugly head

It wasnt the manager who caused the -12 & look at the effect that Strubers imminent departure is having on Barnsleys form...these things happen,move on from last season.judge him after 10,or 12 matches this season...thats fair

2 minutes ago, parajack said:

It wasnt the manager who caused the -12 & look at the effect that Strubers imminent departure is having on Barnsleys form...these things happen,move on from last season.judge him after 10,or 12 matches this season...thats fair

No that was the man who knows little about football (by his own admission) who appointed the manager who (from what he has served up in his time here) knows little about how to create a winning team.

• Like 1