GARRY MONK THREAD - All posts about the manager in here please

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Well said

That's the fairest summary of today I've seen

The Hillsborough crowd can be pretty harsh, and would've been gutted at the injury time goal.

But without doubt any  10 man SWFC side that had 3 defenders off injured during the game, & works as hard as they did today (yes the 1st half was gash), would have got a standing ovation on exit today.

It would have been a great atmosphere at the end. The circumstances would have pulled every one together. Shame we weren't there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Exactly not Monks biggest fan, and he is paid well to deal with difficult & changing circumstances.

But to berate Monk today is harsh in the extreme.

:Our best defender being injured a day before the game

: His replacement injured on 3 mins.

:His replacement injured on 45 mins.

:The remaining centre half injured on 85 mins.

A chain of events like this is a one in 10 season event 

Time to stick together & get behind the manager & squad.

Monk chose to replace our best defender with a 19 year old midfielder who has never played a game at this level at CB.

Monk chose to stick with a 5-3-2 formation with 3 CB's despite only having 2 CB's in the squad.

Monk continued with the 3 CB's formation despite having to use 2 full-backs in that position during the game, one of which nobody would ever pick to play at CB.

Monk chose to make his 3rd sub with 25 minutes left, taking off a player that didn't look like he needed to be subbed, leaving us with no subs left, thus going down to 10 men later in the game.

Monk chose to move Reach to the right when we were on top and causing problems directly as a result of his play down the left.

The circumstances were a little against us today but that shouldn't detract from the fact that the performance was much the same as our home performances have been under Monk for the best part of a year - laboured with little intent. What was the excuse for playing like that in the first half in a game we have to be looking to take the initiative to win?

Monk told us that after 3 months of lockdown we would come back refreshed with a better attitude  - we picked up 8 points from 9 games.

We were then informed that it would be different with a new coaching staff and hungry young players. It may be early days but we have picked up 5 points from 4 games and are playing in much the same way. The defending is better but the chances created are few and far between and the tempo is hardly electric. 

It is as uninspiring as it has been for a year under him, with 1 home win in 2020 and no games in which we have scored more than 1 at Hillsborough since 7th December 2019.  

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Monk chose to replace our best defender with a 19 year old midfielder who has never played a game at this level at CB.

Monk chose to stick with a 5-3-2 formation with 3 CB's despite only having 2 CB's in the squad.

Monk continued with the 3 CB's formation despite having to use 2 full-backs in that position during the game, one of which nobody would ever pick to play at CB.

Monk chose to make his 3rd sub with 25 minutes left, taking off a player that didn't look like he needed to be subbed, leaving us with no subs left, thus going down to 10 men later in the game.

Monk chose to move Reach to the right when we were on top and causing problems directly as a result of his play down the left.

The circumstances were a little against us today but that shouldn't detract from the fact that the performance was much the same as our home performances have been under Monk for the best part of a year - laboured with little intent. What was the excuse for playing like that in the first half in a game we have to be looking to take the initiative to win?

Monk told us that after 3 months of lockdown we would come back refreshed with a better attitude  - we picked up 8 points from 9 games.

We were then informed that it would be different with a new coaching staff and hungry young players. It may be early days but we have picked up 5 points from 4 games and are playing in much the same way. The defending is better but the chances created are few and far between and the tempo is hardly electric. 

It is as uninspiring as it has been for a year under him, with 1 home win in 2020 and no games in which we have scored more than 1 at Hillsborough since 7th December 2019.  

Not saying I thought he got everything right today, thought it was a risk making the last sub at 72 mins, but that said Lees didn't get injured until the 85th.

An usual set of circumstances. We'll see how Monk & the squad bounce back.

• Like 1

I have identified the problem...

It’s just f.ucking crap.

It’s  down to a f.ucking crap manager making f.ucking crap decisions who is employed by a f.ucking crap owner who couldn’t give two craps about football.

• Like 4

everyone needs to wake up the squad is one of the worst in the league ,take westwood and rhodes wages out of it and prob only roth,wycombe ,barnsley and luton have a lower wage bill now than us. this system with the players we have will send us down without a points deduction . to say side lacks a goal threat is putting it mildly . sooner go back to 442or 4141 . the side has no width and can and will get done  on wings too , harris is dog poo poor offers zero end product , id sooner us go back to basics get some powerhouse in middle with llongo , ship bannan out with westwood and rhodes none of the 3 other anything but take 100000 a week in wages between them.  all i can see going forward is a big mothball as there wont be any league 1 next season .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Not saying I thought he got everything right today, thought it was a risk making the last sub at 72 mins, but that said Lees didn't get injured until the 85th.

Massive risk to take. Completely pointless sub too. Negative and trying to defend a lead. Hasn’t he learnt from last season that we don’t know how? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flat Owl said:

I have identified the problem...

It’s just f.ucking crap.

It’s  down to a f.ucking crap manager making f.ucking crap decisions who is employed by a f.ucking crap owner who couldn’t give two craps about football.

i agree but problem is if chansiri wernt funding us now we would be liquidated , football championship downwards is on the brink of total collapse .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zzmdu said:

How long can we keep saying that for?

See how they bounce back from the abject 2nd half and defeat last week? With an abject first half this week. 

See how they bounce back from a shocking start to 2020 after lockdown with a fresh start? Pick up 8 points from 9 games.

See how they start this season with a fresh approach and the pressing need to be more positive in home games? 5 points from 4 games with much the same approach to play in general.

We need to stop playing Russian Roulette with this lack of firepower. Going into this season we had Monk's previous points yeald, and minus twelve points staring back at us. For me, and I'm sure many others, with these negatives to deal with we really needed to get the strikers in before a ball was kicked. Because strikers need to settle. Right? We have done OK considering there's been little there. Was this big struggle needed? But somehow could we have got them deals wrapped up early? Yes Monk has done well getting the other players in but goals win games. Things could certainly have been better points wise and the strikers would have been bedded in more on some earl arrival. Are we going to leave it to 11pm on deadline day. Why? Then will it be four to five weeks before anyone new could possibly start settling in. A striker can maybe take longer to settle. WE CAN'T AFFORD TO BE MESSING AROUND HOPING ON LUCK OR SOMETHING. WE NEED GOALS!! I'd say two strikers. Why compromise? Other areas of the team strengthening would prove helpful too. Come on Monk sort goals out in this team! Set pieces and who's best with em and all that. It needed sorting like months back so can we please gear this club up!! We are meant to be Sheffield Wednesday aren't we!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

He brought Joey on for Dele who was gassed. We had no more subs to make 

I know you’re probably angry but just have a think 

Dele is 19 years old and looks very athletic. He should be able to run all day so what makes you think he was “gassed” Why dingle him out as any more “gassed” than Luongo and Bannan who comfortably completed 90 mins ???

I believe it was a tactical decision, a bad tactical decision. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

At his age I could go cross country 20+miles a day in combat boots carrying 60/80 kg and go again the next day. 

Even at 40 I was doing 80 mins rugby on a Saturday, two hour long five a side sessions plus training and a 44+ hour working week and we had lads fitter than me. I just think a fully professional athlete should be fit enough to play a couple of games a week. 

You must be a part of the Airborne massive😉

4 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Dele is 19 years old and looks very athletic. He should be able to run all day so what makes you think he was “gassed” Why dingle him out as any more “gassed” than Luongo and Bannan who comfortably completed 90 mins ???

I believe it was a tactical decision, a bad tactical decision. 

Do people generally not get the difference between general fitness and match fitness?!?’

1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

At his age I could go cross country 20+miles a day in combat boots carrying 60/80 kg and go again the next day. 

Even at 40 I was doing 80 mins rugby on a Saturday, two hour long five a side sessions plus training and a 44+ hour working week and we had lads fitter than me. I just think a fully professional athlete should be fit enough to play a couple of games a week. 

I’m sure you did old boy, at your pace

I’m sure you can also appreciate the difference with what you might have done with your mates and at a Sunday league level, compared to first division professional football 

3 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Are you serious? With two forced substitutes And hitting the bar whilst on too you can’t put the blame at his door. 

The fact that we didn’t have Iorfa and Issy Brown at our disposal shows it was a good effort albeit didn’t get the 3 points. 

Don’t think its the strikers issue anymore, it’s the Lack of cutting edge in midfield for me and creating the chances in the first place - which we barely did this game

You may be right that the injuries and disruptions were the major factor in the result Sefton but can you justify the managers decision to surrender the initiative we had by bringing on Pele and switching the wingers. Act negatively and you can expect negative outcomes. 

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

No I'm not. 
I've not done that once to someone for expressing their anti-monk opinion
That's an outright lie and I don't appreciate it

Please don't lie like that.

So I share the evidence that you did EXACTLY that and you delete my post? 

As site moderators / owners you should be impartial and open to opinions. 

I have no objections to people disagreeing with my comments but simply deleting my comment is.... strange. 

The last minute goal is a sickener—as they always are—and given the points-deduction, these kinds of errors, whether it be down to concentration, or bad-marking, are a concern. It happens a lot, after all.

But I'm more disappointed, and actually more concerned, about the way we played. The defensive injuries should have had no impact on this and can't be used as an excuse for the performance. Only Brown's absence through injury can be pointed to as a mitigating factor for how we played with the ball, and if the difference between Brown playing and not is what we saw today, then we're in huge trouble should his injury prove to be lengthy.

The performance today was little different from any other at Hillsborough in 2020, apart from the first 45 minutes against Watford (the second 45 minutes were far less good). Our problems with playing at home appear to continue, and it's a shame we have to play half our games there.

I'm very worried about us again, after perhaps the first few weeks of the season when we looked to be playing with intensity and spirit. Teams have to be unusually fit to maintain a high-press for 90 minutes, and you don't normally need to, but you have to be able to maintain for it more than 45 minutes (as we managed against Watford and Bristol City). Today, I'm not sure we managed it at all, the 15 after the break were better than at any other point for us in the game, but they were hardly characteristic of a high-press.

I hope we can at least use these next 2 weeks wisely.

6 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

So I share the evidence that you did EXACTLY that and you delete my post? 

As site moderators / owners you should be impartial and open to opinions. 

I have no objections to people disagreeing with my comments but simply deleting my comment is.... strange. 

Selective editing and deleting seems to be out in force tonight.....I’m leaving them to it

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

Not at all. 

It wasn't like he was in total agony. Just looked a bit sore.

Just don't get it. 

You need players willing to die for the cause, not girls who walk off with 2 mins left cos they felt a bit of a twinge. 

I'm quite angry. 

You are having a laugh 

Lees had it strapped up to try and Cary on 

I would think he will be out for a considerable amount of time with a injury like that 

You could see he was gutted to go off 

I can onto presume you have never played competitive football to understand how painful a injury like that is and how much more damage you can do by trying to play on . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Long ball first half

Get a goal

We’re doing well and on top

Brings off FDB who is just getting into the game

Goes backs the the wall with 35 mins left

Inverts the wingers despite the wingers being on the right side serving us PERFECTLY WELL

Absolutely clueless joke of a manager

Only silver lining is that the Monk apologists can now see it clearly 

Oh and Van Aken was poo all day and bailed out a dozen times by Lees who was OUTSTANDING

fizz off Monk, UTO

Disagree with that you mothers

29A2D4E2-C2AD-463C-A926-DA69D9CF2FB4.gif