GARRY MONK THREAD - All posts about the manager in here please

10 minutes ago, room0035 said:

So at what point if we are still 6-9 points adrift of 4th bottom do we leave it, do we hope come the end of the season Monk has kept us up. Of course if we go down we could well not come back for quite a few years. We would lose at least £10m from the drop in tv money and other incomes. We would have to get rid of 90% of the first team due to the league salary caps in place.

So do we give Monk targets to hit throughout the season, or do we just wing it and hope for the best.

For me one of the Monk out brigade his record since Xmas would have got any manager in any league the sack, he seems to struggle to get the best out of experienced players and seems to have a real problem with playing players in their preferred position. He picks formation and tactics that don't seem to fit the players he has available, but then more worrying, in the two transfer windows he has not tried to sign those players such as Wingback, midfield ball winner for 3-5-2 system.

The lack of forward planning is also an issue, though this could be governed by the chairman running of the club, in May we knew the situation with the league and the next season, so why allow all of our striker options to leave with only Rhodes the most useless of all the strikers we had, to stayed and continue to pocket close to £40k a week for doing not a great deal.

For me Monk has 10 games to get into positive numbers or he is gone, if we are in the bottom 3 come Xmas he is gone to give the new man who ever that be 20 games to keep us up.

But should the team start consistently performing and putting a shift in every match and the team start winning games and moving up the league then I will back Monk, but up to now he has not shown me anything to suggest this will happen, we seem to take 1 step forward and 3 back under him. 

I also think the lack of crowds has probably prolonged his stay here as were fans having to watch the rubbished served up after lockdown week in week out, I think they would have been venting their anger and DC would have got rid, he needs to take this chance and prove he has the ability to start moving our once great club forward.

Whilst I agree with most of what your saying. The striker situation was and still is something that needs addressing. We had 2 problems, 1 we were paying way over the odds on wages for contribution made on the pitch, they had to go. 

No2 you can only bring in players willing to move or that clubs make available, you can have a list of 40/50 targets that fit what your looking for, but only a few are attainable, so do you just sign more players like we did in the past that don't fit and never play??. Or do you try and make the best of things till you can bring in someone that will improve the team. 

As for Rhodes, it's easy saying we need to get rid, but the reality is unless someone else wants him we're stuck with him. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I honestly believe that ALL clubs  should be banned from ever sacking a manager mid-season

They should be forced to stick with their chosen manager from the start of a season to the end of it

Had that been the case we could well still be in league one as Milan sack Megson to get us promoted.

There is nothing wrong with chancing managers midseason if they are not doing the job, some of the great escapes in the leagues from relegation have come from the new man, with new ideas and plans getting the same group of players, playing either better as a team or performing for themselves.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Whilst I agree with most of what your saying. The striker situation was and still is something that needs addressing. We had 2 problems, 1 we were paying way over the odds on wages for contribution made on the pitch, they had to go. 

No2 you can only bring in players willing to move or that clubs make available, you can have a list of 40/50 targets that fit what your looking for, but only a few are attainable, so do you just sign more players like we did in the past that don't fit and never play??. Or do you try and make the best of things till you can bring in someone that will improve the team. 

As for Rhodes, it's easy saying we need to get rid, but the reality is unless someone else wants him we're stuck with him. 

I think the issues is we are shopping in the premier league and the championship and cannot afford the prices. There are some very good players in the Bundersleague 2, there are some promising talent in leagues 1 and 2 and also Scotland. But instead we spend the whole transfer window trying to sign players on £20,30, 40,000 a week that we will end up paying for players that could take 3 months to get up to speed.

There was 1 or 2 strikers I mentioned a while ago from the French 2nd division, that we could have looked at but for whatever reason our recruitment seems very limited to English teams.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That second half of last season still makes me shudder now. It was by no means entirely of Monks making but it was a disaster all the same.

That said, I’m pleased with the steps taken with the staff and playing squad. The attitude around the team, the focus on work rate, physicality and togetherness is also encouraging. Monk saying and doing all the right things at the moment.

It will take a sustained period of consistent performances to win me over but I’m a firm believer in fairness. To that end I think those saying Monk has his team now so the buck stops with him are being less than generous. There are many factors determining which players we are signing and I doubt we’ve signed a single player that would have been at the top of Monks list given a more generous recruitment budget.

If we stay up this season that will be a massive success because it will almost certainly mean Monk has improved both our performance and mentality.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I think the issues is we are shopping in the premier league and the championship and cannot afford the prices. There are some very good players in the Bundersleague 2, there are some promising talent in leagues 1 and 2 and also Scotland. But instead we spend the whole transfer window trying to sign players on £20,30, 40,000 a week that we will end up paying for players that could take 3 months to get up to speed.

There was 1 or 2 strikers I mentioned a while ago from the French 2nd division, that we could have looked at but for whatever reason our recruitment seems very limited to English teams.

Have we?

From the transfers in this window it would suggest we have seriously reduced the level of wages on offer.  I'm not privy to what our new signings earns a week, but I'd be very surprised if any of them are on over £20k a week.  

It appears Monk and the recruitment team are working within very specific parameters whilst trying to reduce the average age of the squad, change the attitude within the club and get results on the pitch from day one.

If we can get a couple more signings in I think this has been the best transfer window for a long time.

11 minutes ago, DesWalker said:

Have we?

From the transfers in this window it would suggest we have seriously reduced the level of wages on offer.  I'm not privy to what our new signings earns a week, but I'd be very surprised if any of them are on over £20k a week.  

It appears Monk and the recruitment team are working within very specific parameters whilst trying to reduce the average age of the squad, change the attitude within the club and get results on the pitch from day one.

If we can get a couple more signings in I think this has been the best transfer window for a long time.

So we haven't spent the last 4/5 weeks chasing Zohore then I must have been looking on a different Owlstalk. :duntmatter:

8 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

If by some miracle we finished second - the 'Monk Out' mob would blame him for not finishing first.

The thing I find really funny is the names that the 'Monk Out' mob put forth to replace him, they are either comical or deluded.

This just isn't true though is it. Monk has one of the worst PPG of any SWFC manager EVER!!! Think he is on par or even worse than Jos. Were hardly being irrational wanting him gone. 

Last season I was fully in the 'Monk out' mob. Whoever was in the MONK IN mob at this time needs checking. 

However DC has backed him and it seems that maybe I could be proven wrong at this time as the team seem concentrated. Looking at the PPG this season We would end up on 61/62 points which again is worrying with the -12 as well meaning 49/50 points looking to relegation. In the current state we would be on 0 points by end of game 9 - this is not good enough to compete IMO. 

Basically the jury is out for me still but I will keep my mouth shut on him until the season develops more. 

• Like 4

Guest Willow Owl
56 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Okay, I'll bite.

Dear Monk "In" Rabble

We in the mob are concerned that our current manager has no proven track record of success at any of the number of clubs that he has managed. Add to this the absolutely woeful form that he oversaw since the start of the year (2nd worst in the league). Average (at best) managers dont suddenly become Brian Clough overnight. In addition to that there are a number of better managers currently out of work and available, one even has the same initials.

That said, DC has clearly backed his man and we recognise the need to pull together for the better of the club. Our powder will indeed be kept dry until results & performances go south under the current occupant of the Hillsborough hotseat.

Yours Sincerely - The Monk "Out" Mob

PS: Note to members - next meeting is on Saturday Morning at 6 am in Grenoside Woods (after the Dogging fraternity have gone home) for a 5 mile run to Wharncliffe Crags & back. Please dont forget your Ginger Wigs.

Out of interest, who are the better managers out there that would realistically tick all the boxes for the Monk out brigade.

Required CV

Premier league winner ( minimum 2)

Champions league winner

FA cup winner

League cup winner

German league winner

Italian league winner

Spanish league winner

Must play Westwood

Must win every game

Must score min of 9 goals per game ( especially at home)

Must concede 0 While playing a 1-1-9 formation.

Must never play badly

Must only play the players the brigade says must play.

Must Be able to bring in a 40 goal a season striker for £12.50

I’m struggling to be fair😎

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

So we haven't spent the last 4/5 weeks chasing Zohore then I must have been looking on a different Owlstalk. :duntmatter:

We might have/are chasing him, but the signing of Paterson suggests we haven't put all our eggs in one basket and have other targets.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Morepork said:

That second half of last season still makes me shudder now. It was by no means entirely of Monks making but it was a disaster all the same.

That said, I’m pleased with the steps taken with the staff and playing squad. The attitude around the team, the focus on work rate, physicality and togetherness is also encouraging. Monk saying and doing all the right things at the moment.

It will take a sustained period of consistent performances to win me over but I’m a firm believer in fairness. To that end I think those saying Monk has his team now so the buck stops with him are being less than generous. There are many factors determining which players we are signing and I doubt we’ve signed a single player that would have been at the top of Monks list given a more generous recruitment budget.

If we stay up this season that will be a massive success because it will almost certainly mean Monk has improved both our performance and mentality.

The fine lines of management we win on Saturday and have taken 7 points out of 12 ands hopefully around 6 points adrift at the bottom we have had a good start to the season. But we lose on Saturday and sit with 4 points from 4 games and maybe no near to the 4th bottom than we started the season then we equally have had a poor start and the pressure will start to mount on the players and the staff.

Lets hope for 3 points against QPR, for a few more signing and injured players being fit after the international break.

• Like 3

IMO Monk has done well since end of last season.
Think being realistic with the circumstances of everything and the budget given the best we could have hoped for is a hard working, organised side if a bit dull. With the price of good goal scorers this was always going to be a problem position to fill.

Think we have a fighting chance of stopping up which I would have taken a month ago.

Monk should be given until at least after Christmas. He might go if club think changing manager is last throw of the dice with a couple of months left.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SouthernOwl24 said:

This just isn't true though is it. Monk has one of the worst PPG of any SWFC manager EVER!!! Think he is on par or even worse than Jos. Were hardly being irrational wanting him gone. 

Last season I was fully in the 'Monk out' mob. Whoever was in the MONK IN mob at this time needs checking. 

However DC has backed him and it seems that maybe I could be proven wrong at this time as the team seem concentrated. Looking at the PPG this season We would end up on 61/62 points which again is worrying with the -12 as well meaning 49/50 points looking to relegation. In the current state we would be on 0 points by end of game 9 - this is not good enough to compete IMO. 

Basically the jury is out for me still but I will keep my mouth shut on him until the season develops more. 

I like Monk and my Faculties are just fine thank you,don't need to be checked for anything.

9 minutes ago, DesWalker said:

We might have/are chasing him, but the signing of Paterson suggests we haven't put all our eggs in one basket and have other targets.

I don't know how reliable this website is but it seems to suggest Pattinson is on circa £20k a week with Cardiff - not sure if any of the ITK's lot know what he is on at Hillsborough

https://footballleaguefc.com/2019-20-cardiff-city-player-wages/ - it would suggest their players wage bill was around the £21-25m mark for last season.

1 minute ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

I like Monk and my Faculties are just fine thank you,don't need to be checked for anything.

Thats fine if you do. 

If you were Monk in last season following one of the worst run of form the club has ever seen then you are also happy settling for relegation. Simple as that.

• Like 1