5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Hi Jim,

Not sure if the thread title confused you but this ISN'T a Monk Out thread - it's about a footballing situation in the box with the keeper  / defenders?

Unless  of  course you're  trying to derail THIS  thread  with your  Monk  obsession too?

Sorry Neil.

It indeed is in the wrong thread. 🙄

I was responding to a post during the discussion/barney you were having with @S36 OWL that you can’t compare the situations that Jos and Monk were dealing with.

1 minute ago, Jim said:

Sorry Neil.

It indeed is in the wrong thread. 🙄

I was responding to a post during the discussion/barney you were having with @S36 OWL that you can’t compare the situations that Jos and Monk were dealing with.

No problem - just wanted you to know you were ranting  in the wrong thread mate

lol

Owlstalk Shop

52 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

We’re down to 10 men with 1 recognised centre half and they are pushing forward. They are bound to have a man spare somewhere on the field. Being over critical you could say that the cross should have been stoped. You are also blaming Dawson, who isn’t to blame in the slightest. An out swinging cross at the back post, he covers his near post and his position is spot on.

Just have accept it was a good header.

Whilst I don't blame Dawson for the goal, his positioning is far from spot on.

He's 2/3 yards off his line at the back post exposing all his goal, which invites a looping header, an excellent header may I add.

IMO the problem goes back 20/25 minutes before. They are posing no threat really, so we decide to put on our last sub and change the formation and tactics, backing off and inviting them on. Then no sub left to replace Lees.

Poor from the manager for me.

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

The header was outside the 6 yard box.

Only just outside, I actually think there’s a decent keeper in Dawson and he receives a lot of undue criticism but there is only one area that cross can hurt us and I just think he could have been a yard or 2 further out to enable him to commit to the cross. 
Irrespective of being down to 10 men an unchallenged cross comes in from an angle that is routinely drilled on a training ground and should be defended at any level of football. These are the areas a coach is wanting the opposition to cross from.
We concede 2 many soft goals from situations we should do better in. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No problem - just wanted you to know you were ranting  in the wrong thread mate

lol

No worries mate. I originally replied in the right thread but my post for some reason didn’t post?

When I went to re-type, I couldn’t remember which thread it was in. Old Age eh.? lol

• Haha 1
Just now, Jim said:

No worries mate. I originally replied in the right thread but my post for some reason didn’t post?

When I went to re-type, I couldn’t remember which thread it was in. Old Age eh.? lol

Ha ha we're all suffering that these days Jim!

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

Some harsh comments here.

i attach no blame to the goalie. I wouldn’t expect him to come for that and the finish is an excellent finish.

as a centre back I would be annoyed that we are getting a ball like that coming into the box at this stage of the game. It is a great ball in but he had time to post it where he wanted.

i am van akens biggest critic, but he has improved significantly this season. Not difficult, but some of his main technical flaw , his defensive ‘ footwork ‘ , has improved. On the goal a little of the old failings came back. As the ball is getting shaped by the crosser, he is positioned ok but then he goes back , then forward  and ends up not being able to generate the power to climb and flick the ball to safety.  It is an old failing he has but as I said , it’s nowhere near as bad as in his debut season for us when I had my hands over my eyes at times.  In his defence , it was a great ball in and most defenders in this league would have been beaten by it. 

I just think sometimes you have to accept these things. We were a man down, tired, and the play from qpr had quality. But if we have to point to anything, it’s the ball coming into the box in the first place. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, A12owl said:

The player who crossed the ball had no one challenging him. Not one of our players within 10 yards. He should have been closed down or fouled.

The ball went looping in the air for ages. The scorer was on the edge of the 6 yard area when he headed it. That's Dawson’s territory. He should deal with everything going into that area. He shouldn't have stayed on his line. He had plenty of time to watch the ball and punch it or catch it. 

He's 6 foot + so should have had no problems reaching above their forward. 

If some one can add a video of the relevant bit that would help. Thanks. 

As I said in another thread, we were down to 10 men and had been pressing hard with our forwards (particularly Patterson) before that; but Patterson wasn’t up front to press when QPR scored because he was put in defence after Lees went off injured. If Lees wasn’t injured, I firmly believe that QPR wouldn’t have scored because we’ve still got the numbers on the pitch to press and prevent them from stringing an attack together. 

Furthermore, the ref should have blown the final whistle 20 seconds earlier. 

So who’s to blame? Everyone and no one. It’s just bad luck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We could blame Dawson for not attacking the cross, We could blame Van Aken for the same reason, We could blame a number of players for not pressing. In the end it was a footballing mistake, that's how the majority of goals are scored.

• Like 1

We just ran out of numbers in defence. Not necessarily at the back but defending the cross in the first place. It was an excellent cross which would have undone many a team.

3 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Seems to be a theme this season where we start the better side and then fade badly half way through the second half.

Is poor fitness the reason for this?

Wasn’t a theme yesterday. We were horrendous first half 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Wasn’t a theme yesterday. We were horrendous first half 

Fair enough. I didn't watch yesterday due to my ongoing dispute with iFollow but a growing injury list is another sign of lacking fitness.

The problem with the likes of MOTD analysts is that everyone thinks they're an expert because they can pause the game.

You can pause the 30 seconds leading to the goal at any point and find someone to blame - those who are Dawson critics choose him, Van Aken critics pause it just there, JP where it suits their arguement

But watching in real time it was just a very good cross and a very good header. If we had scored that we would be stating the goalie had no chance, it was a perfect cross etc.

If it was down to a defensive collapse or a gk fumble I'd be the first saying so! But it wasn't 

• Like 2
Just now, Swiss Toni said:

We just ran out of numbers in defence. Not necessarily at the back but defending the cross in the first place. It was an excellent cross which would have undone many a team.

We have fewer numbers but I still feel the right decision and instinct is to close the player with the ball down as #1 priority, even if that leaves 2 on 3 on the left, if he flicks the ball over there then so be it, we can chase down again, but there's no chance for recovery from letting a cross go in unchallenged, it just comes down to whoever heads the ball first

49 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Some harsh comments here.

i attach no blame to the goalie. I wouldn’t expect him to come for that and the finish is an excellent finish.

as a centre back I would be annoyed that we are getting a ball like that coming into the box at this stage of the game. It is a great ball in but he had time to post it where he wanted.

i am van akens biggest critic, but he has improved significantly this season. Not difficult, but some of his main technical flaw , his defensive ‘ footwork ‘ , has improved. On the goal a little of the old failings came back. As the ball is getting shaped by the crosser, he is positioned ok but then he goes back , then forward  and ends up not being able to generate the power to climb and flick the ball to safety.  It is an old failing he has but as I said , it’s nowhere near as bad as in his debut season for us when I had my hands over my eyes at times.  In his defence , it was a great ball in and most defenders in this league would have been beaten by it. 

I just think sometimes you have to accept these things. We were a man down, tired, and the play from qpr had quality. But if we have to point to anything, it’s the ball coming into the box in the first place. 

Very good summary. If Lee's had been on the pitch we win that game, simple. Van aken played well but that misjudgement cost us 2 points. 

The issue is the time the player had to make the cross, without any pressure.  Players at this level have the ability to find Bonnes head. The root cause was the lack of closing down the ball. As well as JVA, I would have expected a challenge from behind eg Bannan. As an example, Fox or JVA in that position would be jumping with Bonne and giving him a nudge. I dont think dawson has any blame.