The player who crossed the ball had no one challenging him. Not one of our players within 10 yards. He should have been closed down or fouled.

The ball went looping in the air for ages. The scorer was on the edge of the 6 yard area when he headed it. That's Dawson’s territory. He should deal with everything going into that area. He shouldn't have stayed on his line. He had plenty of time to watch the ball and punch it or catch it. 

He's 6 foot + so should have had no problems reaching above their forward. 

If some one can add a video of the relevant bit that would help. Thanks. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, A12owl said:

The player who crossed the ball had no one challenging him. Not one of our players within 10 yards. He should have been closed down or fouled.

The ball went looping in the air for ages. The scorer was on the edge of the 6 yard area when he headed it. That's Dawson’s territory. He should deal with everything going into that area. He shouldn't have stayed on his line. He had plenty of time to watch the ball and punch it or catch it. 

He's 6 foot + so should have had no problems reaching above their forward. 

If some one can add a video of the relevant bit that would help. Thanks. 

Good summary,if it is as you say,totally agree..especially the GK

• Thanks 1

Said it in the matchday thread at the time, before you even look at the defending of the cross, how the hell was their player allowed all that time and space in the middle to make the cross? Luongo was closing down the player who passed it to the crosser, but no sign of Pelupessy, and Bannan for some reason was "defending" the back post. 

Edited by alanharper

They did exactly the right thing when you have just lost your middle stopper.

Delivered  right over between the penalty spot and the edge of the 6 yard box.

It was almost in slow motion and entirely expected and predictable.

We’d been caught out several times earlier in the game even when Lees was on the pitch.

Poor whether you have 10 or eleven men - it’s about organisation and switching off at crucial moments.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Junglejay said:

I’m not his biggest fan but anyone suggesting that Dawson should have claimed that cross is living on another planet. 

If he had come and not got it he would be slated just the same and I don’t think he would have got it. 

The guy was given far too much time to put a perfect hanging cross in and then the defenders failed to attack it.

• Like 3

For me van aken was out of position...when you’ve got a 6’5” CH flat footed and back peddling frantically there is only going to be one outcome.

the goalscorer had 10 yards to attack. 

• Like 2

I don't know why Dawson is back in the side, when Wildsmith was given a small go he looked to have more potential, albeit a little rusty. 

I guarantee a new manager would just take the easy win of bringing Westwood back in however.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Flat Owl said:

They did exactly the right thing when you have just lost your middle stopper.

Delivered  right over between the penalty spot and the edge of the 6 yard box.

It was almost in slow motion and entirely expected and predictable.

We’d been caught out several times earlier in the game even when Lees was on the pitch.

Poor whether you have 10 or eleven men - it’s about organisation and switching off at crucial moments.

and we were caught out at Bristol when Martin headed it back across goal. Seen it a lot with us since we went to a back three. It’s like there are three individual centre backs not really knowing who is supposed to be doing what When it was a pairing, they seemed to have clearer defined roles The upheaval didn’t help, but as you suggest, it wasn’t the first time it had happened

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Said it in the matchday thread at the time, before you even look at the defending of the cross, how the hell was their player allowed all that time and space in the middle to make the cross? Luongo was closing down the player who passed it to the crosser, but no sign of Pelupessy, and Bannan for some reason was "defending" the back post. 

It’s one of Monk’s managerial strengths that he keeps using Pelupessy 🤬

• Haha 3
6 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

For me van aken was out of position...when you’ve got a 6’5” CH flat footed and back peddling frantically there is only going to be one outcome.

the goalscorer had 10 yards to attack. 

This is my thought - he had several seconds to assess the threat; understand where his player was; stick to him and put this into action - he didn't and it's not the first time.

The Dawson question is more difficult - the ball from the cross is curling away from goal and is seven yards out by the time it lands on the QPR strikers' head. But yes, from this still he perhaps should have made a better attempt at saving the ball.

image.png.54653ca8433f28db2f874b1beebe3222.png

• Like 1

Screenshot_20201003-210229_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201003-210425_Chrome.jpg

The first pic shows where the real problem is, Pelupessy is way off his man allowing too much time.

Van Akin has a decent position at this point.

Second pic shows how JVA gets caught under ball. Dawson alo poorly positioned and the ball actually goes alost in the centre of the goal.

Great cross and header but way too much time. Pelupessy has one job.....

Edited by Nero
  • Like 5

We seemed happy to play attack v defence for the final 25 minutes. Players like Luongo etc were fooked so nobody was near their midfielder. It was a good cross but I do wonder if Dawson could have made more of an attempt to claim it.

However, if Lees is still on the pitch I am guessing that goal isn't scored.