• Bannan
    • Paterson
    • Windass
    • Reach
    • Palmer
    • Odubajo
    • Pelupessy

6 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Overall, a scrappy performance, with two or three players standing like giants above a squall of mediocrity:

Dawson, 6 – didn’t have a great deal to do, exposed again at the end

Shaw, N/A – early injury

Lees, 8 – fine performance – lots of clearing headers, blocks, held our defence together – but could he have just stayed on the pitch as a body upfront for the last 4 minutes?

Van Aken, 6 – moments of adequacy and others where he just makes terrible decisions, completely caught under the ball in the last minute – he needed to be tighter to Bonne

Harris, 8 – so much energy, helped bail us out time and again with his pace, still needs more end product

Reach, 7 – has that extra quality going forward which helped lead to the goal, but neshed one or two tackles

Luongo, 8 – MoM, excellent work rate, all over the pitch, his performances have been 20% better every game so far, unlucky at the end, 6 inches lower with that shot and its 2-0

Bannan, 6 – game bypassed him for the most part

Dele-Bashiru, 6 – a couple of good bursting runs, has promise, but needs to know when to play the early pass

Paterson, 7 – what we’ve been missing, he didn’t do too much, but just seeing someone get in the opposition faces, attack the aerial balls with menace and look to set up quick attack, spreading the play, taking the quick free kick, etc. High hopes.

Windass, 6 – not his best game, threatened a few times but needs to learn to curve his runs and stay onside

Subs

Palmer, 6 – solid enough until he took that knock

Odubajo, 6 – decent enough in open play, absolutely liability at set pieces – surely someone else needs to be marking their CBs from free kicks?

Pelupessy, 5 – don’t want to make him the scapegoat, but hard to see what he added at the end

In hind sight the pellupessy sub probably cost us the win. You right. Seems a needless substitution. 

1 minute ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Reach was put on right as qpr had no left winger fir him to defend against. Reach no good against a tricky winger. He to slow, and has no defensive sense and cannot tackle. He also has not got the engine to track up and down the pitch. 

To get the best from reach he needs little or no defensive responsibility 

Agree he's not brilliant defensively but to say he hasn't got an engine is utter shïte

• Like 5

Dawson - 7  - Steady. No real saves to make of any note, but kicked well, and looked safe enough throughout.

Shaw - N/A - Bitter blow for the lad. Looked a nasty ankle sprain.

Lees - 9 - Man of the Match - Brilliant performance, and his absence in the last five minutes, has ultimately cost us. Dominant against a rag-arse centre forward, but lost count of number of interceptions and blocks he got in today. Defended the front post brilliantly.

Van Aken - 6 - Did OK for 90 minutes, but that lapse in concentration has cost us. Criminally got caught under the ball for the goal. School boy stuff.

Harris - 7 - Infuriated me in the 1st half. Far too selfish, and far too blinkered when in possession. Better in the 2nd half though, and was a lot more positive on the whole. Nice delivery for Reach's chance.

Reach - 8 - Isn't it amazing, how Reach actually looked like a footballer again, when played in the right position. Did really well for the goal, and unfortunate not to get a 2nd shortly after. He's a left wing back in this system, and should only play elsewhere as a last resort.

Luongo - 8 - Defensively, he was superb. Tenacious, energetic, strong in the tackle. But, I want better from him in possession. Particularly in the 1st half, he was far too rushed and rash when in possession. Unlucky not to get on the scoresheet with the effort that hit the bar.

Bannan - 7 - Relatively quiet game really. It seemed to bypass him for a lot of it. His set pieces were "mingin'". But showed his quality with the delightful ball for Reach for the goal.

Dele-Bashiru - 7 - Encouraging performance. Showed aspects of his strengths, and he looks tidy on the ball.

Windass - 6 - Worked hard, and kept going. Looked a little hesitant at times, and I'd have liked him to be more decisive for the chance in the 1st half.

Paterson - 7 - Showed what he'll bring us. Competed really well in the air, and won a lot of headers. Pleasantly surprised at the quality of his link-up also. Bright start.

Palmer - 6 - Looked hesitant up against the strength of Bright-Samual, and lost Dykes for the half chance in the 1st half. Not sure what his injury was.

Odubajo - 7 - Came on, and did a more than decent job at centre half. 

Pelupessy - 6 - Felt his introduction was the wrong signal, but that's not his fault. I just think he often exasperates our rashness in possession when he comes on. Maybe a tad harsh, but I think he should be coming out and closing down the Barbet cross for the goal as well.

Overall...

Sickener. We didn't play well, but we dug deep, and showed all the characteristics you'd want us to in games and situations that we faced today. To lose four centre halves in the space of an hour and half, is ridiculous, and we were seconds away from nicking three points and a clean sheet.

I felt Monk's substitution to bring Pelupessy on, just sent the wrong message out. If he wanted to add a bit more steel in midfield, bring Kachunga or Rhodes on, and move Paterson in there. He'd have offered what Pelupessy did...plus more. That didn't necessarily lose us the game, but it was pretty much an open invite for QPR to send half their team into our half, knowing we weren't going to budge.

Hard not to get too disappointed after that result given our circumstance, but, taking a step back, despite the same old ending, the character we showed was light years away from last season. Hopefully the fortnight break will allow us to patch us at least a couple of our walking wounded centre halves, otherwise we could be in for a tricky period.

Edited by frastheowl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Lees for me.

A fine performance trying to hold together several versions of a patched up defence. Three central defenders off injured during the game (including himself late on) plus Iorfa before the game, ...ouch.

Good job there’s a 2 week break but hope it’s long enough to get em fit.

Lees just ahead of Luongo who I thought had his best game for us. 

A few decent performances. 

Gut wrenching to see that goal go in at end, despite the injury crisis before and during game to our center backs we had defended fairly well up to that point. 

Tom Lees for me,best defender weve got,3 more like him and wed be sorted at the back,fact is the rest are nowhere near him.He could be out for a while it was around two months when he last did his groin,so the hapless Borner will have to  come in,lets hope he can stay switched on for a full match,strikes me Borner marks zonally or must have done that in Germany as he lets so many threats pass him in the box its untrue and Monk must have seen the same as hes deffo out of favour.

Luongo has had a very good game today and unlucky not to crown it when he hit the bar,and as someone else said,Harris played out of his skin as well got up n down his flank and defended well hes growing into a pretty good wing back.

Its a real kick in teeth after to lose the goal in added on stoppage time,feels like a defeat tonight.

Some pretty average displays from the rest,we werent at the races 1st half and got a lucky escape at the corner

Edited by legendaryswan
  • Like 1

Gone for Luongo.. but just. Lees were superb. Harris also deserves a mention, constant threat all afternoon! Reach looked more comfortable at WB. Good second half performance, but again we lacked that quality in the final third. UTO

59 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Reach looked really promising down the left second half - then switched to the right for some reason.

Luongo easily our best player today, Lees did well too, not much to say otherwise.

I think switching Reach and Harris was more of a defensive move to help counter Osayi-Samuel, but much prefer to see Reach on left as you say.  Personally I would give him a run at LWB before writing him off as others seem so keen to do.  

• Like 1

Loungo got vote from me but accept Lees was very good. Like others accept Harris and Reach played well. Also Patterson did ok.

With all the injuries defensively and finishing with 10 men we had no luck. Having extra man who could head ball was lost as nothaving Iorfa and Shaw going off after 2 minutes to be replaced by Palmer meant we were one big man short. Then Lees got thigh problem and that left us two short. Should have kept ball in corner for another minute and things would have been fine. 

Windass and Bannan did not have the best of games today which did not help.

Board showed extra 5 minutes and they scored in 6 minute of injury time. Gutted by us not getting 3 points.

If you are in poor run at home just the type of things you can expect to go against us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

I think switching Reach and Harris was more of a defensive move to help counter Osayi-Samuel, but much prefer to see Reach on left as you say.  Personally I would give him a run at LWB before writing him off as others seem so keen to do.  

I agree it was a defensive move - at home - when Reach was playing well, played a big part in us taking the lead, and we were on top. No need to make a defensive move like that but I guess that's why we have won one home game in 10 months and haven't scored more than 1 at home this year. 

Dawson                 6

Van Aken              6

Shaw                          Did n't have the time to get his boots on.

Lees                      6    Should have gone on the wing for nuisance value.

Harris                    6

Luongo                 6

Deli-Bashiru          6

Bannan                  7  My MOTM what little did happen down left was orchestrated by Bannan

Reach                   6

Paterson               6 decent debut

Windass                6 willing worker

Palmer                 6

Odubajo              6

Pelupessy            6 Not his fault but a wasted sub when players dropping like flies. 

• Haha 1

Dawson - 5 doesn’t save enough shots. This is a major issue

Lees - 9 brilliant performance esp given the shenanigans going on around him

Van Aken - 5 all at sea, just all over the shop positionally, hacking the ball away, made a good interception once so il give him that

Harris - 6 usual, grafted

Luongo - 8 love him in this new role, which he was taken out of by Monk to our cost

Bannan - 7 good when he got the ball, which we didn’t get him enough of

FDB - 6 literally taken off just as he was getting in the groove

Reach - 7 good supply, tireless work, responsible for 2 of our major moments when we created little else

Windass - 6 chasing high balls and shadows

Paterson - 6 chasing high balls and shadows 

28 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Dawson - 5 doesn’t save enough shots. This is a major issue

Lees - 9 brilliant performance esp given the shenanigans going on around him

Van Aken - 5 all at sea, just all over the shop positionally, hacking the ball away, made a good interception once so il give him that

Harris - 6 usual, grafted

Luongo - 8 love him in this new role, which he was taken out of by Monk to our cost

Bannan - 7 good when he got the ball, which we didn’t get him enough of

FDB - 6 literally taken off just as he was getting in the groove

Reach - 7 good supply, tireless work, responsible for 2 of our major moments when we created little else

Windass - 6 chasing high balls and shadows

Paterson - 6 chasing high balls and shadows 

If that's a criticism you've generally got of him, then fair enough.

But, you cannot apply that to today, surely?!

He's saved everything he should have today, and stood absolutely no chance with that goal. 

What do you expect him to do better with the goal?!

Other than that...I agree with everything else.

Edited by frastheowl

Dawson,  7 - not at fault for anything but also had very little to do. His kicking was sound .

Shaw, N/A, poor lad must be gutted.

Lees. 8 - MoM for me, a rock in the centre of defence. Sound all game. Best performance this year.

Van Aken, 6. -  Had a good solid game, looked capable. Would have been 7 but for their goal, maybe harsh, we were short handed and may have been trying to do too much. If he gets more aggressive he could be ok.

Harris, 7 - good game overall, first half a bit meh but did well second half.

Luongo, 8 - Almost made MoM, he looks superb as DM better than Hutch, breaks up play but not as reckless. Had an outstanding game again.

Bannan, 6 - never got going but good ball for our goal. I wonder if the weight of captaincy is causing him problems.

Deli B, 6 - Still early days and a bit green but looks like he could be great with more experience. Didn't do much wrong other than holding on to the ball too long.

Reach, 7- Welcome back Adam, where have you been for the last year and when did you start to tackle? I saw at least 3 where you won the ball. Tell Monk you've changed your mind you want to be a left WB.

Windass, 6 _ not his day but he worked hard, it just didn't come off for him. Caught offside too often but it shows he's trying.

Paterson 6, - Would like to give him 7 but can't justify it. Worked hard bu blew up early in second half. Understandable. Needs match fitness. Won soe flick ons but they went one way the other player went the other. Needs time to form an understanding with the rest of the squad.

Palmer 6, - didn't really notice him much

Odubajo, 6- good going forward defensively not great. Why are we asking him to mark someone a foot taller than him at corners. Nearly gave away a penalty but understandable he was outmatched.

Pelupessy 6, - ran about a lot and disprupted play. Didn't do much  wrong but I wish he'd got a pass in him. Maybe too much to ask.

• Like 2