Pickford really has lost his MOJO

1 hour ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Sunderland fan I know raved about his distribution. Which seems to be overvalued in a keeper nowadays. 
Call me old school but my priority for a keeper is preventing the opposition sxoriy

Wednesday need to do more of this

:ghoulguy:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Sunderland fan I know raved about his distribution. Which seems to be overvalued in a keeper nowadays. 
Call me old school but my priority for a keeper is preventing the opposition sxoriy

I wish Dawson would figure out how to do it if he's our #1! 

17 hours ago, Burnsie said:

Good shot stopper (unless he had time to think about it). Awful at everything else.

How he's ahead of Pope et al I'll never know!

Having watched the highlights of Newcastle Vs Burnley, I would like to retract my previous statement.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

This this this

This is how you get 'Kepa' costing 70m

Emperor's new clothes!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I would extend this to centre halves as well

• Like 2

Jonny Liew in the Guardian suggests that the high scoring games are due in large to poor performances by defences and goalkeepers.

He reckons these positions require much more concentration than the others, and that mental fatigue after a long season and a short break, and a lack of intensity and danger due to absent crowds have combined to result in multiple errors and indiscipline in defensive units.

He gives Maguire at Man Utd as an example - we know what happened to him in his short break - ..Man Utd conceded 8 goals in 19 games in the second half of last season..this season Maguire is bloody awful - the same lumbering,  talentless wardrobe that earned him the nickname 'Herman ' when he was at Sheff Utd.

However,  Pickford was rubbish all of last season,  so he just maybe plain old bang average in general.  

On 04/10/2020 at 01:45, Ever the pessimist said:

You say that, but actually in a game, how many times is a keeper needed to make a save or stop a goal scoring opportunity?  maybe 10?  But how many times does he restart a possession?  It could be 50+!

Now granted if your defence is awful you probably need a better stopper than distributer, but to overlook it is naive.

Just not bothered...