Keiren Westwood on his way OUT of SWFC

Just now, Ronnie Starling said:

When did they move Christmas to November and is 9th the new 3rd?

Westwood's last game was in November, and our record from his 11 appearances leading up to that was W3 D3 L5.

Immediately after he was dropped our record was W4 D2 L0.  

Owlstalk Shop

12 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Westwood's last game was in November, and our record from his 11 appearances leading up to that was W3 D3 L5. Immediately after he was dropped our record was W4 D2 L0. 

Whatever led to the post Christmas collapse, there was much more to it than who our goalkeeper was.

But Westwood would have stopped QPR's goal on Saturday; a man on Owlstalk told me so.

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Westwood's last game was in November, and our record from his 11 appearances leading up to that was W3 D3 L5.

Immediately after he was dropped our record was W4 D2 L0.  

I know it was and we were in 9th position after the West Brom loss. Some on here think Westwood was playing in that run an they forget his performances were shocking up to being dropped costing us at least 6 points.

4 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Westwood's last game was in November, and our record from his 11 appearances leading up to that was W3 D3 L5. 

Sorry, but why just quote from 11 appearances - he played 14 games last season:  W5  D3  L6

4 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Immediately after he was dropped our record was W4 D2 L0. 

... and that run was immediately followed by three consecutive defeats

I have a thing about the selective use of statistics    :biggrin:

On the face of it, there wasn't much to choose between Westwood and Dawson last season

Westwood had marginally the better win ratio - 35.7% to 34.7%

whereas Dawson had marginally the better points per game return - 1.30 to 1.28

Wildsmith trailed some distance behind both of them

What does stand out though is the number of goals conceded:

On average, Westwood conceded one every 84mins - Dawson one every 60  (Wildsmith one every 47)

You can draw your own conclusions from that

But the stats suggest we would have conceded fewer goals had Westwood played more games and probably picked up more

points in the process

so there   :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Sorry, but why just quote from 11 appearances - he played 14 games last season:  W5  D3  L6

Because some are disingenuously suggesting that there was some kind of clean break between Westwood's appearances in the side and our collapse in form, which was clearly not the case. 

14 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Because some are disingenuously suggesting that there was some kind of clean break between Westwood's appearances in the side and our collapse in form, which was clearly not the case. 

No what I was saying is Westwood was a good servant for many years, a top keeper.  He had a few bad games and was rightly dropped.  Dawson did well for a few games then had quite a few bad games yet neither westwood who was proven at this level as a top keeper or wildsmith was given a chance, I cant beleive overnight westwood has become a rubbish keeper.  Monks treatment of him is appauling, even if he dont play im sure he can help Dawson and Wildsmith, making him train with u23 and not giving him a number and releasing comments to the media suggesting he should leave is appaulingly unproffessional.  I have no idea what happened but it was not just Westwood Monk fell out with.

Guest Grandad
5 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Westwood's last game was in November, and our record from his 11 appearances leading up to that was W3 D3 L5. Immediately after he was dropped our record was W4 D2 L0. 

Whatever led to the post Christmas collapse, there was much more to it than who our goalkeeper was.

You can't use 11 games one side then 6 the other to suit your maths

What were the stats for the 11 after? (Don't know, genuinely interested)

Guest Therealrealist
23 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

So in your opinion..is Dawson a better keeper than Westwood..a simple yes or no will suffice..we don’t need an essay..

2 minutes ago, Grandad said:

You can't use 11 games one side then 6 the other to suit your maths

What were the stats for the 11 after? (Don't know, genuinely interested)

You can if your only intention is to demonstrate that there was no clean break in our form coinciding with Westwood getting dropped, as some seemed to be suggesting.

But as you asked, after Westwood was dropped (for good it seems), in the next eleven games it was W6 D2 L3, including the cup game at Brighton. And then Blackburn came to Hillsborough...

17 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

No what I was saying is Westwood was a good servant for many years, a top keeper.  He had a few bad games and was rightly dropped.  Dawson did well for a few games then had quite a few bad games yet neither westwood who was proven at this level as a top keeper or wildsmith was given a chance, I cant beleive overnight westwood has become a rubbish keeper.  Monks treatment of him is appauling, even if he dont play im sure he can help Dawson and Wildsmith, making him train with u23 and not giving him a number and releasing comments to the media suggesting he should leave is appaulingly unproffessional.  I have no idea what happened but it was not just Westwood Monk fell out with.

I’m sure a manager would like a senior player to help younger players along, support them and lead by example by working harder when dropped and take their place on the bench and wait to try and get their place back. Some players don’t want to do that though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

You can if your only intention is to demonstrate that there was no clean break in our form coinciding with Westwood getting dropped, as some seemed to be suggesting.

But as you asked, after Westwood was dropped (for good it seems), in the next eleven games it was W6 D2 L3, including the cup game at Brighton. And then Blackburn came to Hillsborough...

And...

BOOOOOMMMMMM

it's a KNOCKOUT blow from DJMortimer posting absolute FACTS 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Guest REDAs_biG_piECE

Best player currently under contract at SWFC

The only player on the books left I genuinely don’t begrudge a single penny of my season ticket money for 

I think Westwood is the best keeper but for whatever reason it isn't going to happen under Monk so we should be doing all we can to move him on as when you strip it down we are paying a lot of money for nothing. The longer he is completely out of action for at his age the less likely he is to get back to the level he was at for us for 3 or 4 years when he was among the best in the Championship.

I don't think Westwood was as bad as some make out last season but he was certainly below his best and did make mistakes. The decision to change keepers was justified by the good initial form of Dawson but from January to March he was dreadful. He then rightly got dropped with Wildsmith coming in after lockdown. Wildsmith didn't do any better so the decision who to go with this season was debatable.

I don't think Dawson has made any critical mistakes this season. He was shaky against Watford but kept them out and I wouldn't blame him for any of the goals we have conceded so far this season.

I just hope he continues his good start and doesn't start to struggle like last season. For me he seems to very susceptible in terms of confidence. His clean sheet record is very good but when he concedes goals early in games it too often leads to conceding 2, 3 or more.

I'm not sure many other teams at this level would take him as number 1 if he was made available. 

Some more facts for balance.

Games played under Monk.

Westwood P9 W3 D3 L3   Pts 12, average 1.33 p.g.  Goals conceded 9, average 1.00 p.g.

Dawson    P26 W8 D8 L10  Pts 32, average 1.23 p.g. Goals conceded 37, average 1.48 p.g

Wildsmith P9 W2 D2 L5  Pts 8, average 0.89 p.g.  Goals conceded 17,avearge 1.89 p.g.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Some more facts for balance.

Games played under Monk.

Westwood P9 W3 D3 L3   Pts 12, average 1.33 p.g.  Goals conceded 9, average 1.00 p.g.

Dawson    P26 W8 D8 L10  Pts 32, average 1.23 p.g. Goals conceded 37, average 1.48 p.g

Wildsmith P9 W2 D2 L5  Pts 8, average 0.89 p.g.  Goals conceded 17,avearge 1.89 p.g.

FAKE NEWS

Westwood played behind a WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY better squad

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

FAKE NEWS

Westwood played behind a WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY better squad

Aren't those stats from last season?