Keiren Westwood on his way OUT of SWFC

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

People start off well/get lucky and then make mistakes that you can't pin on any one else. Monk probably wasn't unlucky in the 2nd half of last season - he was just a bit poo.

Yeah I agree to some extent. I'm not bothered about Westwood being dropped to be honest as I thought his form was patchy and he was perhaps too comfortable.

Monk - I think he made some odd decisions last year which cost us points on a few occasions.

In fairness to him though, he came to a club with a lot of stuff going on and with none of his backroom staff. He got us through the season and we stayed up.

I'm happy to back him though as to me, this season is a fresh start. He has staff, our recruitment looks different, we seem to have a plan so good luck to him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

"He's the best keeper in the Championship" they cry

If that's true where are all the clubs that would want to sign him?

Maybe even a lower premier league club would show interest in the 'best keeper in the championship' and could afford his wages

SO WHERE ARE ALL THESE CLUBS TO BUY THE 'BEST KEEPER IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP' ?

In all seriousness how many in the Championship can afford his wages? He's not Premier League standard, that potential option long since sailed. 

So add in FFP and the current revenue hit from Covid, who's going to go for him?

So, Bournemouth (Begovic), Watford (Foster), Stoke (Butland and even hes been dropped), Norwich (Krul), lets be honest he now doesn't get near any them. 

Any other club is entirely reliant on DC accepting to pay a decent % of his wages. 

Even then you're reliant on things like - would he want to leave his family or uproot his family for a season? Probably not. 

Really limited option pool, so for those reasons i really would be surprised if he goes anywhere unless DC accepts we're paying over half his wages 

1 minute ago, tomhollywood said:

Yeah I agree to some extent. I'm not bothered about Westwood being dropped to be honest as I thought his form was patchy and he was perhaps too comfortable.

Monk - I think he made some odd decisions last year which cost us points on a few occasions.

In fairness to him though, he came to a club with a lot of stuff going on and with none of his backroom staff. He got us through the season and we stayed up.

I'm happy to back him though as to me, this season is a fresh start. He has staff, our recruitment looks different, we seem to have a plan so good luck to him.

I'd go halfway towards this. I have no confidence in him at all but think he deserves longer with his own players, staff etc - I think we'll get relegated but the 12 point deduction is someone else's fault not his.

If we're showing progress given the circumstances he's under that'll do for me.

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

So then it can be argued that Monk has been put at a level where he is not effective at as surely one of the main roles of the manage is to handle people that are disruptive.

If you have parts of your workforce that you need to freeze out surely this doesn't look good as a manager?

It's not about looking good or being liked, it's about getting the job done. 

If there is someone causing an issue and making life harder then it just makes sense to remove the problem.

• Like 1

I'd go halfway towards this. I have no confidence in him at all but think he deserves longer with his own players, staff etc - I think we'll get relegated but the 12 point deduction is someone else's fault not his.

But I haven't watched any of the games this season  - can't be arsed tbh - so I can't comment on the early signs. 

Yeah agreed. Was going to post about the points myself - that's something he inherited so will be viewed as part of his tenure here but it's not really his fault.

If we progress under him and look like we have a plan (recruitment suggests we do) and start to build a style and maybe a way of operating as a club, that's more important in the bigger picture for me.

• Like 1

But I haven't watched any of the games this season  - can't be arsed tbh - so I can't comment on the early signs. 

Look at the extended highlights on youtube if you haven't already.

They'll give you a little bit of clue.

We're looking a bit better than last season, early days though. I think tomorrow is a big game in terms of response and how much progress we've made in that area compared to last season.

3 minutes ago, tomhollywood said:

It's not about looking good or being liked, it's about getting the job done. 

If there is someone causing an issue and making life harder then it just makes sense to remove the problem.

the point is that he has only gone backwards since identifying these problematic characters so the question is whether they really were as problematic as imagined our did we gain a net benefit from them regardless of what such two hats they were

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I wish our journalists could get to the bottom of what the issue is with Westwood @crannman @domSWFC @indiana @ANDY @Adam88 @sethman75

As always when anything happens at a club the journalists know what has gone off (they'll have heard it from other players, agents, quiet conversations behind the scenes)

Whether they can/will/dare to publish is another thing entirely

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

In all seriousness how many in the Championship can afford his wages? He's not Premier League standard, that potential option long since sailed. 

So add in FFP and the current revenue hit from Covid, who's going to go for him? 

Hang on???

Aren't we constantly told that you just have to spend your way out of this league and to promotion to the Premier League?

Aren't we always told to look at the clubs who have spent MASSIVE amounts of cash to get promoted to the Premier League?

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

As always when anything happens at a club the journalists know what has gone off (they'll have heard it from other players, agents, quiet conversations behind the scenes)

Whether they can/will/dare to publish is another thing entirely

they don't need to publish anything they just need to PM us with the answers

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Hang on???

Aren't we constantly told that you just have to spend your way out of this league and to promotion to the Premier League?

Aren't we always told to look at the clubs who have spent MASSIVE amounts of cash to get promoted to the Premier League?

A lot of previous seasons i'd agree with clubs spending ££££, i think this year the landscape has changed (in general, with some exceptions). 

That being said, a 29-32  year old Westwood on his wages might still have be attractive to a club.

At 35, with his injury record, lack of recent game time and his performances before he got dropped...i personally think the value for his wages has long since gone and a club isn't going to take that gamble.  

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

they don't need to publish anything they just need to PM us with the answers

Why on earth would they do THAT?

The first time they did it someone would post it saying 'John Smith at the Sheffield Star told me'

Your logic in this thread is extremely flawed

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, WhiteOwl91 said:

A lot of previous seasons i'd agree with clubs spending ££££, i think this year the landscape has changed (in general, with some exceptions). 

That being said, a 29-32  year old Westwood on his wages might still have be attractive to a club.

At 35, with his injury record, lack of recent game time and his performances before he got dropped...i personally think the value for his wages has long since gone and a club isn't going to take that gamble.  

But we're told he's a game changing keeper who can get you results just by putting him straight back into the starting lineup (regardless of anything else that has gone off)

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Why on earth would they do THAT?

The first time they did it someone would post it saying 'John Smith at the Sheffield Star told me'

Your logic in this thread is extremely flawed

They could just PM you as you're a trusted member of the site, I don't think you've ever been banned or had any warning points. You could then tell us what has happened without revealing which one of the journos did it.

Edited by Ellis Rimmer