Modern Football Is Obscene

Utah Owl

I've watched 45 minutes of football so far this season - first half of Leeds/Liverpool. I can't be bothered watching us never mind any other teams.

It's hollow to me without fans. I can see why they wanted to finish last season and why they have to keep on playing but I'm not very interested at all. It's not posturing I genuinely don't feel like keeping track of how Wednesday are doing on a minute by minute basis. I never thought I'd feel like that - turns out what I love is going to matches with mates and family and having a laugh.Ultimately,  it's camaraderie not football that keeps the flame burning.  

• Like 2

I struggle to have any sympathy for the football industry tbh - clubs across all the pyramids have largely overspent, taken on contracts they are unable to afford and are loss making machines. If there is a benefit to COVID it is that we hopefully see some form of caps across all four divisions but that will not happen in the PL.

I do find the PL deplorable though, in terms of how they preach they are struggling financially, how COVID is affecting them, yet are happy to continue paying multi-million pound contracts whilst also relying on the Government for additional bail-outs. 

I do not support a Government bail-out of the football industry.

Therefore the PL and FA have to come to an agreeable solution to spread some of the wealth across the lower divisions. 

I am not sure whether it is possible, but given the product the PL is, surely they are able to retrieve a loan, secured against future television rights to be shared amongst those lower leagues to enable them to survive until fans return to matches. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

I've watched 45 minutes of football so far this season - first half of Leeds/Liverpool. I can't be bothered watching us never mind any other teams.

It's hollow to me without fans. I can see why they wanted to finish last season and why they have to keep on playing but I'm not very interested at all. It's not posturing I genuinely don't feel like keeping track of how Wednesday are doing on a minute by minute basis. I never thought I'd feel like that - turns out what I love is going to matches with mates and family and having a laugh.Ultimately,  it's camaraderie not football that keeps the flame burning.  

So basically you don’t like football as a sport, you enjoy being with the family. Because regardless of the current situation if you actually had a interest in football you’d still be watching it 

40 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

So basically you don’t like football as a sport, you enjoy being with the family. Because regardless of the current situation if you actually had a interest in football you’d still be watching it 

I think the hundreds of games I've been to over the past almost 50 years shows I do have an interest in football. But it's enhanced by being with friends and family and the camaraderie of a proper football rowd. Missing that for a while is making the game seem hollow and unimportant. It'll come back I imagine but at the moment I'm not particularly interested. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, rickygoo said:

I think the hundreds of games I've been to over the past almost 50 years shows I do have an interest in football. But it's enhanced by being with friends and family and the camaraderie of a proper football rowd. Missing that for a while is making the game seem hollow and unimportant. It'll come back I imagine but at the moment I'm not particularly interested. 

Couldn't agree more, i don't watch other football teams, i watch Wednesday, and while i don't mind watching us on television when i cant get to a match, its not something i can worked up about for every match.

So i will wait until i can get back to watching in a stadium before i get enthusiastic

• Like 1

I do not automatically begrudge top end players earning obscene amounts of money (which is nothing compared to the NFL etc). if you think of how many people play football throughout the world, these guys are probably in the top 0.01%. you do not get there just on talent alone. Those that managed to get there without too much (balotelli), don't stay there compare to those that do. Unfortunately there is always going to be money at the top. The world wants to watch the premiership and not Burton Albion vs Scunthorpe United. 

7 hours ago, rickygoo said:

Shocked you watched Liverpool! :ph34r:

I find I am watching a lot of the games but they rarely feel like they have much of a sense of importance about them. I'm glad the games are going ahead but its just not the same.

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Shocked you watched Liverpool! :ph34r:

I find I am watching a lot of the games but they rarely feel like they have much of a sense of importance about them. I'm glad the games are going ahead but its just not the same.

Stuck in a hotel with fizz all else to do. Couldn't be bothered to watch it all though. 

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

Stuck in a hotel with fizz all else to do. Couldn't be bothered to watch it all though. 

I quite enjoyed that game to be fair. At least the defending of most teams has largely resembled ours during the second half of last season so it has been amusing and entertaining. 

In general the games have been much better than the end of last season games which were either completely one-sided or bore draws.  

21 hours ago, Burnsie said:

I do not automatically begrudge top end players earning obscene amounts of money (which is nothing compared to the NFL etc). if you think of how many people play football throughout the world, these guys are probably in the top 0.01%. you do not get there just on talent alone. Those that managed to get there without too much (balotelli), don't stay there compare to those that do. Unfortunately there is always going to be money at the top. The world wants to watch the premiership and not Burton Albion vs Scunthorpe United. 

There is being well paid and being obscenely paid though. For a player to earn more in one week than hard working people earn in 5 years is just plain wrong, and should always be regarded as such.

How can anyone possibly justify wages of 150k a week plus for a footballer when a nurse, fireman, soldier, police officer etc. earn c 30k a year if that?

Football salaries need to be capped. The maximum in the EPL should be no more than 20k a week, 12k in the Championship, 7k in league 1 and 4k in league 2. Wages should be automatically adjusted on promotion or relegation.

The surplus money from TV etc. should be controlled by the FA for the good of the game which should include proper pension rights for retiring players and proper compensation for those who's careers are cut short by injury and genuine help for getting alternative careers when their playing days have ended.

• Thanks 1

On 29/09/2020 at 18:49, Utah Owl said:

In the middle of the Coronavirus crisis with lots of EFL clubs facing going to the wall, Man City have just spent 65 million on Dias and their neighbours have reportedly bid 93 million for Sancho. those two amounts alone would support L1 & L2 for an entire season without any other income.

How can the game possibly continue (or even be allowed to continue) like this?

It's been fizzed since 1992.

15 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Interesting article and some good points. It has long been known that clubs in the top leagues are not reliant on fans being at games but you do wonder whether the increased number of kick-off times for TV will become the norm even when fans are allowed back. Players much prefer to play in front of full crowds but while they are getting paid huge sums due to TV money they aren't going to protest in a major way on behalf of live fans. 

The points about fans in the stadium not knowing what is happening is getting more and more relevant with each rule change and the ever increasing involvement of VAR. 

4 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

There is being well paid and being obscenely paid though. For a player to earn more in one week than hard working people earn in 5 years is just plain wrong, and should always be regarded as such.

How can anyone possibly justify wages of 150k a week plus for a footballer when a nurse, fireman, soldier, police officer etc. earn c 30k a year if that?

Football salaries need to be capped. The maximum in the EPL should be no more than 20k a week, 12k in the Championship, 7k in league 1 and 4k in league 2. Wages should be automatically adjusted on promotion or relegation.

The surplus money from TV etc. should be controlled by the FA for the good of the game which should include proper pension rights for retiring players and proper compensation for those who's careers are cut short by injury and genuine help for getting alternative careers when their playing days have ended.

Surely the same can be said for many sports though. Look at boxing. £100m for a few rounds of getting smacked in the face (or not if you're Mayweather). 

Also, I'm sure salary caps wouldn't last long before legal challenges

Not saying they should earn more than (insert whatever job you want) but it's the market value. I earnt less than most of the people in IT in one job despite having qualifications, a more specific role within the organisation and saving the organisation significantly more than it cost too employee for me. But, IT just get paid more cos IT get paid more.

I just feel footballers are sometimes easy targets.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

There would be no surplus money though because Sky wouldn't pay for football that was basically Championship standard.  If the EPL capped wages at £20k a week all the best players would just go abroad and the money would go with them.  The English game would basically turn in to another obscure European league that nobody watches.  It's supply and demand and frankly I'd sooner see the players getting obscene wages than some top exec at the clubs or EPL.  They are the ones doing the work.  Their career is short (most are done by 35), that leaves them with a retirement of potentially 50-60 years!  £150k a week is £7.8m a year, nobody gets after Tom Cruise and Charlize Theron for earning that for making 1 film.  

Just not bothered...

23 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

There would be no surplus money though because Sky wouldn't pay for football that was basically Championship standard.  If the EPL capped wages at £20k a week all the best players would just go abroad and the money would go with them.  The English game would basically turn in to another obscure European league that nobody watches.  It's supply and demand and frankly I'd sooner see the players getting obscene wages than some top exec at the clubs or EPL.  They are the ones doing the work.  Their career is short (most are done by 35), that leaves them with a retirement of potentially 50-60 years!  £150k a week is £7.8m a year, nobody gets after Tom Cruise and Charlize Theron for earning that for making 1 film.  

Didn't the rock make £100 last year of sommat? Currently name film he did last year (unless another F&F came out), hardly a good one anyway

Football is obscene - at all levels

Sure it's more pronounced in the PL but at least they have money to cover the costs

It's the EFL that needs to take a real good look at itself and stop begging the PL for handouts

Way too many clubs are paying out more in player wages than they get in income - it cannot continue

Football seriously needs to reboot and us old traditionalists like me might hate what is coming

But we cannot sustain 5 full time divisions with the VAST majority of clubs in considerable debt

We may end up like most other big football countries with a massive top division, a decent 2nd tier - then lots of smaller regional leagues and pyramids below that

Other than that the biggest clubs move to a euro/global league - and let the rest of domestic football reset itself

• Like 1