Modern Football Is Obscene

Utah Owl

It`s f**ked mate.

Sky news had one line on Macclesfield FC going out of business............................then spent 10 minutes spaffing themselves talking about Gareth Bales weekly wage at Spurs............which was more than the amount that Macclesfield were sent under for......let that sink in.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Owlinmad said:

It needs one of the Premier teams to get into financial trouble, hopefully those across the city, and then something may change.

It won't happen though, teams start to struggle sink down the leagues and then end up on the scrap heap.  The Premier League don't care once you're out of the club.  How many teams in league 1 & 2 have been in the Premier League, I can think of Sunderland, Oldham, Swindon, Ipswich, Hull, Blackpool, Wigan, Charlton, Portsmouth, Bradford, Bolton.  Then you throw in the ones in the Championship that aren't exactly pulling up trees and you've got an entire league full! 

I'd love to know what the combined wages are of all the Premier League players who won't play a single game this season are.

Just not bothered...

It's loathsome.

But from the point of view of the top clubs, there's not that much of a problem. They can argued that they take less than their share of the pooled broadcast money. Chelsea v Man U is an international talking point. Southampton v Villa isn't. You need some padding to make up the top league, but it's all the same whether it's Burnley or Derby.

It only implodes if global demand to watch the big clubs implodes. I haven't seen any premier league football in the last eighteen months except for catching 20 minutes of a game last season when I was on the bike in the gym. Couldn't care less. But I am not typical. I doubt anything radical will happen for some time. if the lower tiers go bankrupt or are mothballed, that doesn't really change the overall business model.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mattitheowl said:

Apparently one EPL chairman said at a meeting this week "you don't see people telling Sainsbury's they need to bail out the local corner shop".  My bet would be on either the guys at West Ham or Daniel Levy with that pearler. 

You've got it in for Levy haven't you?

1 minute ago, Arthur Bach said:

You've got it in for Levy haven't you?

Not really.  Just think he's a bit of a kn0b from what I saw on that Spurs documentary.  His reaction to the COVID hiatus was utterly selfish and frankly deplorable. Furloughing staff and then signing Gareth Bale on obscene wages doesn't sit all that well with me either.

• Like 2

Just not bothered...

I haven't watched the EPL for years and have no intention of doing so unless we get back in it.

Frankly I think I'd rather we stay a moderately successful Championship club with the occasional cup run than be in the EPL just making up the numbers. It's the football equivalent of selling your soul.

The sooner the rest of the world loses interest the better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

Apparently one EPL chairman said at a meeting this week "you don't see people telling Sainsbury's they need to bail out the local corner shop".  My bet would be on either the guys at West Ham or Daniel Levy with that pearler. 

Dyche, wasn’t it?

1 hour ago, Big Malc said:

Dyche, wasn’t it?

He did say something like that yes. Burnley have benefited from signing a few players that have been developed by Championship clubs. Most Premier League teams benefit from having the opportunity to loan out numerous players from their huge squads to gain competitive experience in the lower leagues. They don't do this out of the goodness of their hearts, they do it in order to see how their players develop and add value. It may not be immediately apparent now that PL clubs regularly spend big money on ready made talent across the world but if the league structure in this country was to collapse it would be of detriment to the PL. 

Wonder if Dyche would feel the same if he was still in charge of Millwall or if Burnley were to get relegated and he stayed with them. Maybe he is feeling a bit sorry for himself as his board wont open up the purse strings.

As for the PL pleading poverty themselves recently, you only have to look at the amounts of money that recently promoted teams like Villa and Utd have spent recently despite only having a years worth of TV money behind them to see that kind of thing is a bit of a joke. Never mind what Chelsea and the bigger teams continue to spend on fees and wages. 

10 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

I haven't watched the EPL for years and have no intention of doing so unless we get back in it.

Frankly I think I'd rather we stay a moderately successful Championship club with the occasional cup run than be in the EPL just making up the numbers. It's the football equivalent of selling your soul.

I want us to get into the Premier league cos I want my son to experience promotion and the first game back. I want him to see us play all the teams and players he sees on TV and fifa etc. Please don't take this the wrong way but those that go to games every week possibly have a different view of things to those that now view from afar. Personally I want to see us in the prem in a stadium that has been improved with prem money and with an academy that has been improved the same. I want us on motd every week. I want us to be a household name again. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Being in the Championship is not as bad as the EPL but dont you think clubs there (including Wednesday) have already sold their soul?

Impossible not to if you want to compete in the Championship in some ways.

I am very uncomfortable with reading Man United are ready to spend £90m on a player with the current economic circumstances in the country never mind further down the pyramid are going to have to deal with.
Its not the average man in the streets game anymore.

• Like 2