Team for QPR

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Why does everyone pick Penney? One decent game against Walsall and that’s it.

Wildsmith

Iorfa

Lees 

van Aken / Borner (I’m torn)

Harris

Luongo

Bannan

Brown

Reach

Windass

Paterson

Subs:

Dawson, Palmer, van Aken / Borner, Pelupessy, Dele-Bashiru, Rhodes, Kachunga 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
3 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

The way both Borner and Van Aken have played so far I’d be tempted to give Shaw a game at right centre half with Iorfa moved to the left and Lees in the middle

While I get your reasoning, Iorfa would be a disaster on the left side. Would fall over his own legs. Some players can play both sides, unfortunately neither him or Lees can.

I think most of the first 11 really  picks its self. Though I'd like to see us try starting with the 2 of  most natural wingbacks we have available. Give penney and Odd-job a run of games. 

Bit of last chance saloon for me for the latter. 

Maybe try Windass alongside Patterson up top first half and if it's not working being Kachunga on. 

and I don't think we've been as bad as some are making out. 

Cardiff away is always a tough one. Followed by a relagated side at home, then onto a playoff contender in Bristol away. Not the easiest of starts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

I know the team I would play but Monk will pick his under performing favourite.

I also would play a 4- 4-1-1 we don't have wing back we have full backs and we only have 1 recognised striker at the club so we have to play an attacking link midfielder in there

Wildsmith/Dawson - New championship quality keeper

Penney, Borner, Iorfa, Palmer

Reach, Brown, Luongo, Kachunga

Windass

Rhodes

Not a strong team but we don't have the options we had last season.

So you would drop Bannan and Lees , play Borner yet have the audacity to complain about Monk’s team selections.

Edited by oldishowl
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, GLOwl said:

He did indeed have a mare for us last season.

I don't think he is a good full back at all, far too often caught out of position and way too rash at tackling. On the wing attacking the opposition full back, and told not to enter our penalty area at all then yes he can play well. I thought he played well against Fulham last week, looked a genuine threat.

I would have put him on yesterday once we went a goal down as he is able to, on a good day, make things happen.

But did you see him play full back prior to playing for us ? 

He never looked rash or out of position then. For some reason at us it all went down hill.

However he's looked decent when playing this season as you say

A lot of good formations from all of you managers. Hard to debate. Just goes to show there’s more agreement than not. Fans believe in this squad. I truly believe Owls will beat QPR with GM’s 3-5-2. Maybe tinker some but no wholesale changes. Players are onboard with GM & staff. Saturday can’t come soon enough for me. UTO. 

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

So you would drop Bannan and Lees , play Borner yet have the audacity to complain about Monk’s team selections.

Bannan has this untouchable thing with some, Brown is proving to be a better player, Lees has done ok but in a back 2 he struggles and often create more problems.

So yes playing a back 4 I would drop Lees for Borner who when partner with Iorfa is the best back two paring at the club.

2 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Why does everyone pick Penney? One decent game against Walsall and that’s it.

Wildsmith

Iorfa

Lees 

van Aken / Borner (I’m torn)

Harris

Luongo

Bannan

Brown

Reach

Windass

Paterson

Subs:

Dawson, Palmer, van Aken / Borner, Pelupessy, Dele-Bashiru, Rhodes, Kachunga 

I think we’re just sick of seeing Harris fail to deliver week in week out, though I agree I doubt that will change much replacing him with Penney

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Bannan has this untouchable thing with some, Brown is proving to be a better player, Lees has done ok but in a back 2 he struggles and often create more problems.

So yes playing a back 4 I would drop Lees for Borner who when partner with Iorfa is the best back two paring at the club.

Borner has been hopeless since Christmas. He looks a shadow of the player he was at the start of last season. Can only assume he has a long term injury issue impacting his game.

• Like 2

We haven’t got the quality to play with wingbacks. Time isn’t on our side to allow it to work, we needs points ASAP. I’d switch it up with a narrow 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2

Dawson

Palmer Iorfa Lees Penney

Luongo

Reach.         Bannan

Brown

Patterson.  Windass 

Palmer & Penney can overlap when necessary 

Edited by FreshOwl

8 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Borner has been hopeless since Christmas. He looks a shadow of the player he was at the start of last season. Can only assume he has a long term injury issue impacting his game.

Before Monk started messing with the line up last season Borner and Iorfa were developing into a great back to in a 4-4-2 formation. But as we know Monk like to put his stamp on the team and since then we have concede too many soft goals with defensive lapses.

For me we need a back 4 we don't have wing backs at the club we have full backs the longer he persists with 3-5-2 the longer we will continue to be massively inconsistent and as soon as we concede the back line with Lees and JVA in looks so brittle. Borner is a solid performer but like a lot of players you cannot keep dropping him every other game and expecting him to perform. 

The best team in the league have a settled back line of their best players.

12 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

We haven’t got the quality to play with wingbacks. Time isn’t on our side to allow it to work, we needs points ASAP. I’d switch it up with a narrow 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2

Dawson

Palmer Iorfa Lees Penney

Luongo

Reach.         Bannan

Brown

Patterson.  Windass 

Palmer & Penney can overlap when necessary 

So you would play a 4-3-3- with 4 defenders and 6 midfielders. I don't think we are quite in the Barcelona mould just yet.