Amortise points deduction over the season

Ian

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

Christ what a set of over reactions we’ve had today 

Manager loses first game......sack him

First league goals conceded.....keeper not good enough

New striker doesn’t score in his first start.....should never have been in the team

Just to put a bit of perspective on the season so far, these minus 12 points.....in any other context these sort of things would be amortised over the whole season, not all 12 points knocked off at the start....it’s approx 0.25 points deduction per game

On that basis, we are on 3.25 points having played last years play off semi finalists, hot favourites to win promotion with their parachute payments and top of the league who have won all their games so far.

which puts us about 16th....mid table and 3.25 points above relegation after what, in perspective, has probability been one of our most difficult starts for years.

no doubt 2.75 points next Saturday will have folk talking of promotion by Christmas and tying Monk to a 10 year deal before City come knocking 

Yea, cos you’ve never had an adverse reaction to a player nor performance have you?

Edited by McRightSide
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

New striker doesn’t score in his first start.....should never have been in the team

Just to put a bit of perspective on the season so far, these minus 12 points.....in any other context these sort of things would be amortised over the whole season, not all 12 points knocked off at the start....it’s approx 0.25 points deduction per game

On that basis, we are on 3.25 points having played last years play off semi finalists, hot favourites to win promotion with their parachute payments and top of the league who have won all their games so far.

which puts us about 16th....mid table and 3.25 points above relegation after what, in perspective, has probability been one of our most difficult starts for years.

no doubt 2.75 points next Saturday will have folk talking of promotion by Christmas and tying Monk to a 10 year deal before City come knocking 

I can go with that, though I do feel the QPR game is crucial. We’re we to lose that one, and it suddenly becomes three defeats in a row With last season fresh in the memory, confidence might be fragile, and we could be off on one of those terrible runs again

• Like 1

Given the appalling second half of the season last season which basically meant we got the 12 point deduction this season not last I dont think Monk was ever going to get the benefit of the doubt if we started losing, he needed a really good start, we can still turn it around, next month is an important month, plenty of points up for grabs against teams we need to be beating if we are to stay up.  If we have a rubbish October then for me Monk has to go, to be honest I thought he should have gone at the end of last season but we are where we are and if it starts going like the end of last season then Monk needs to go sooner rather than later. 

31 minutes ago, Ian said:

Sure as fiddlesticks ain't his first loss cocker lol

• Haha 1

I'm not defending some of the reactions but they were always coming on the first league defeat.

This is a marathon not a sprint. We will lose games its just critical the players have the ability to bounce back straight away from any setbacks.

It's imperative we acquire a cutting edge to our play which has been decent overall. We run the risk of selling the manager down the river for a second season running which ultimately prolongs the discussion about his ability.

In six or seven games time we'll have an idea if we've improved our collective mentality and performance levels. Whatever happens, I don't see too much merit in getting on the backs of the team.

The owner has made his decision about how we are proceeding this season, he'll bare the brunt of my anger and frustration if he's got it wrong. If he hasn't, I'll be the first to acknowledge that.

Edited by Morepork

32 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

You literally said Westwood should never play again because he cried off from playing against Flint.

Aah yes, I remember that mythical conversation between Flint and Westwood in the tunnel at Bristol that only Ian off Owlstalk was party to.  When asked to provide evidence he insisted that it was up to me to research it, which I did and literally the only reference to it on the entire worldwide web was Ian off Owlstalk saying it had happened. 

lol

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Are you sure?

Where does the other 0.25 come from

You’re right....there isn’t another 0.25....in fact there isn’t any positive 0.25...it’s 2 x minus 0.25 so it would be a 5.5 pointer

or is the other 3 points in a normal 6 pointer the other sides.....in which case that element isn’t subject to a points deduction so it would be a 5.75 pointer

Edited by Ian

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

You’re right....there isn’t another 0.25....in fact there isn’t any positive 0.25...it’s 2 x minus 0.25 so it would be a 5.5 pointer

or is the other 3 points in a normal 6 pointer the other sides.....in which case that element isn’t subject to a points deduction so it would be a 5.75 pointer

So in conclusion,  to avoid all this mathematical bollócks let's just implement the -12 deduction at the start of the season so everybody knows where they stand. 

• Haha 3