Stamina

Daz

I think it's a combination of the type of player we have; formation and stamina. For example our midfield 2 are small; lightweight and are not mobile. 

The formation relies on quick; mobile wing backs who are good at defensive as well as attacking play - IMO only Penny provides this and he isn't fully ready-cooked.

Barnes is a quality link man but not mobile and drifts in and out at times. 

We don't have fast and mobile forwards and this compounds the issue.

• Like 1

I can only remember one game under Monk where we played really well in both halves. Leeds away.

Happy to stand corrected.

But we either play good in the first, or the second.

Never both

To repeat what I've said elsewhere...

I think lack of stamina was a big problem last season and thought we had tried to address this by ditching the old guard and bringing in younger more energetic players. This has enabled Monk to set us up to play Monkball which, to be fair, has made us look far better than we should, given the weakness of our squad. But I fear it requires higher levels of stamina than we can manage and today we fell apart when we stopped sprinting around winning every loose ball.

I noticed today that Bannan was giving the ball away far more often than normal. Of course we always moan when he does this but usually it's a bit of a surprise. Today it was a frequent occurrence. My theory is that as captain he has tried to set an example of running around like Monk wants but, at 30, it just makes him too tired to do his usual stuff. He looked great for half an hour but was shocking in the second half.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We completely lost our shape second half and also our heads.

We went into panic mode instead of doing what we were doing which was pressing, nicking the ball and countering quickly.

We stood off and allowed them further up the pitch instead of pushing forward and exploiting the space behind their further forward wing-backs.

We were caught in no mans land and it needed someone out there to marshall them back into shape but BB droppped deeper than anyone.

A target man would have helped to relieve the pressure and it’s why we need one desperately.

They are no mugs though and it was the classic game of two halves.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grandad said:

I can only remember one game under Monk where we played really well in both halves. Leeds away.

Happy to stand corrected.

But we either play good in the first, or the second.

Never both

We were lucky not to be behind at half-time at Elland Road. 

2 hours ago, Daz said:

For me, nothing is different this season compared to last as far as our stamina is concerned.

This season in all our games our workrate drops as the game goes on and we start dropping deeper, leaving opponents tons more space to play in front of us and as a result, they are more dangerous.

It's either poor attitude, poor tactics or we lack staying power. Bannan was so deep in the second half compared to the first half it was unreal. It also isolates our 'forwards' who have to feed off little or no service. Nothing changed when we conceded the first today, there was no desire to chuck people forward to try to equalize and it seemed more important not to concede a second rather than to go for it. 

Long hard season if we stop playing half way through games.

is it stamina or Tactics daz . ie sit back and attack on the break (which we struggle at doing at the best of times)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

It's an accepted fact Monk was diabolical last season.

The squad is arguably worse than last season.

This ends one of two ways. Monk goes or we are relegated without a fight.

It's difficult to argue with the first two lines and indeed, even the last line may already be inevitable.

I think most of us would acknowledge how difficult this is going to be even if we do improve collectively. My worst fear and what would anger me beyond belief would be the club failing to act if after 10-12 games we are looking the same as the second half of last season.

• Like 2

Guest Mcguigan
On 27/09/2020 at 20:15, mkowl said:

Us fans have plenty of stamina watching our games for the full 90 mins 

Not me, I get a stitch around 70 mins and give up. I try watching through it but it never works.

Edited by Mcguigan

On 27/09/2020 at 22:46, Morepork said:

It's difficult to argue with the first two lines and indeed, even the last line may already be inevitable.

I think most of us would acknowledge how difficult this is going to be even if we do improve collectively. My worst fear and what would anger me beyond belief would be the club failing to act if after 10-12 games we are looking the same as the second half of last season.

£40+ to watch L1 bobbar it is then. DC will never act swiftly if things slide. 

• Like 1