Harris

Luke

8 hours ago, Dooogs said:

Going back to our obsession with ex-Wednesday players, I hadn't realised how quickly his career sank. WS went from playing Championship football (albeit mediocrely) at 24 to non-league by 26 and done by 29.

When you join Wednesday, it’s a start of a downward spiral 

6 hours ago, oldishowl said:

I think Harris’s biggest issue is his decision making.

A bit like my dog , once it’s made it’s mind up, no shifting it.

He decides early what he is trying to do then gets his head down and goes for it, for better or worse. 

The best footballers always play with their heads up looking for the best options.

Also best suited to chasing after the ball rather than with the ball at its/his feet.

On 27/09/2020 at 23:10, Rogers said:

He’s not a wing back is he, really. He’s a winger in a 4-4-2. 

End product relies on energy and stamina; asking someone to run all day and then be expected to take on 2 players and deliver a perfect ball is too much at this level. 

Wing backs work if you have a team of superstars or high energy players at the very top, where the opposition is worried about every player.  Mobile strikers dragging defences everywhere is also helps, to create space for a wing back to simply attack the space and cross.

I can’t name one lower level team that has succeeded with wing backs. 

Spot on. 

How many do wing-backs score generally. Harris works hard and has done a decent job defensively but unsurprisingly he was more productive in terms of goals and assists when he wasn't playing in a defensive role, which he was previously unfamiliar with. 

If you want wingers to do what they are good at then put a defender behind them so they are not wasting their energy doing things that don't suit them.

He may still be wasteful and inconsistent at times, nature of the beast for wide players at this level, but he will be more productive with a defender playing behind him and an actual striker to aim, as was the case with Fletcher in the first half of last season.  

6 hours ago, Ronio said:

Harris is another player we don't use properly, I personally don't think the wingback position suits him at all.  Sure he covers us defensively with his work rate and pace, however in an attacking sense, it doesn't help us or him whatsoever.  There is literally no output from him, goals assists, crosses into the box.

Harris is effectively another player being played out of position, then we wonder why there is no end product.  

I don't believe that this system really works for many players.  

There is so many players that don’t fit this system. Odubajo and perhaps Penney are the only natural wing-backs we have and they’re not fantastic.

He’s playing this system to stop us getting outnumbered in midfield so to an extent it works but there is so much unbalance elsewhere in the team. For instance I don’t believe the centre-backs we have are particularly comfortable in a back 3.

Personally I think we should go 4231 as I think the forwards we have would work better in this system and we would still have numbers in midfield but we’d need a strong willing runner at the point which we don’t have at the moment.

Anyway I’m expecting him to continue to flog this dead horse of 352 unfortunately 😩

Edited by Jim

Guest Willow Owl
20 minutes ago, Jim said:

There is so many players that don’t fit this system. Odubajo and perhaps Penney are the only natural wing-backs we have and they’re not fantastic.

He’s playing this system to stop us getting outnumbered in midfield so to an extent it works but there is so much unbalance elsewhere in the team. For instance I don’t believe the centre-backs we have are particularly comfortable in a back 3.

Personally I think we should go 4231 as I think the forwards we have would work better in this system and we would still have numbers in midfield but we’d need a strong willing runner at the point which we don’t have at the moment.

Anyway I’m expecting him to continue to flog this dead horse of 352 unfortunately 😩

Out of interest Jim, what would be your line up in a 4231

7 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Out of interest Jim, what would be your line up in a 4231

Wildsmith

Palmer      Lees          Iorfa         Penney

Luongo          Dele-Bashiru

Brown           Windass         Bannan 

New Striker

• Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl

He’s better than Penney, Palmer and Odubajo. Yes his end product isn’t great but if it was he’d be in the Premier League. He has so much pace and is tricky. He’s the only player in our team who can get us up the pitch in a matter of seconds. He also has brilliant work rate, is never injured and has improved defensively as we saw against Watford when he bailed Dawson out twice.

He’s a decent player overall who could get better if trained properly by our coaches. Anyone who wants to drop him, then be careful what you wish for as we’d become even more pedestrian than we are now.

Edited by Kagoshimaowl

9 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Spot on. 

How many do wing-backs score generally. Harris works hard and has done a decent job defensively but unsurprisingly he was more productive in terms of goals and assists when he wasn't playing in a defensive role, which he was previously unfamiliar with. 

If you want wingers to do what they are good at then put a defender behind them so they are not wasting their energy doing things that don't suit them.

He may still be wasteful and inconsistent at times, nature of the beast for wide players at this level, but he will be more productive with a defender playing behind him and an actual striker to aim, as was the case with Fletcher in the first half of last season.  

Playing as an out and out winger, Harris provided ONE assist from the left last season. Even with Fletcher to aim at. That was the lovely chip to Fletch at Huddersfield.

His shooting is dire. It was last season and it is this season.

Hes on the wrong side of the pitch. If we are playing 352 I think he’s an excellent fit. But not on the left. Plain as the nose on your face - it doesn’t work. 

Defensively you should never be on your weaker foot. Attacking it’s fine if you are good cutting in (Forestieri, Reach, Mahrez...) but a waste of time if you aren’t. Defenders show him inside as they know he can’t produce.

Really fine player -stamina, speed, work-rate, tracks back fabulously...play him on the right side and you’ve got a real WB.

9 hours ago, Jim said:

What have you seen that makes Penney a natural WB?

Defensive positional sense and alertness very questionable.

Attacking, apart from 30 minutes in a friendly when he was excellent, he offered nothing in the two league starts.

Edited by Holmowl

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

What have you seen that makes Penney a natural WB?

Defensive positional sense and alertness very questionable.

Attacking, apart from 30 minutes in a friendly when he was excellent, he offered nothing in the two league starts.

I’ve still seen nothing to convince me Penney will make it at this level.

To me he looks like a classic playground footballer. With time and space I’m sure he can pass a ball nicely, make knock in the odd decent cross or shot...but he just gets taken out of the game sooo easily by the opposites.

I see him a little like Caolan Lavery. Some raw, natural ability but pretty much stops there.

Guest Willow Owl
3 hours ago, Jim said:

Wildsmith

Palmer      Lees          Iorfa         Penney

Luongo          Dele-Bashiru

Brown           Windass         Bannan 

New Striker

Interesting that Jim. Going back to one of you’re earlier posts, you talk of Monk playing players out of position. Yet in that team there are at least 4 / 5 playing out of position and one position not filled.

3 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Interesting that Jim. Going back to one of you’re earlier posts, you talk of Monk playing players out of position. Yet in that team there are at least 4 / 5 playing out of position and one position not filled.

There’s only perhaps Dele-Bashiru who’s playing out of position. You could be pedantic and say Iorfa is but who would trust Van Aken or Borner at the moment.

The experts on here were saying that Bannan was at his more effective when playing more to the left. Brown on the right and Windass as the number 10 which the experts have been suggesting. 

Obviously I named this team before Paterson signed so he would be at the point.

I can’t really see with that 11 how I’ve contradicted myself TBH but hey someone will point it out. They always do. Clever tw@ts that they are 😉

Looked a steal when he first came, his turn of pace and beating of the full backs looked promising but sadly this didnt last, opponents soon got the measure of him and he proved to be a one trick pony, when he is forced to cut inside it usually ends up with a shot at goal, ultimately off target or weak, he does work hard but sadly for a while now has offered little to the cause.