Harris

Luke

He’s not a wing back is he, really. He’s a winger in a 4-4-2. 

End product relies on energy and stamina; asking someone to run all day and then be expected to take on 2 players and deliver a perfect ball is too much at this level. 

Wing backs work if you have a team of superstars or high energy players at the very top, where the opposition is worried about every player.  Mobile strikers dragging defences everywhere is also helps, to create space for a wing back to simply attack the space and cross.

I can’t name one lower level team that has succeeded with wing backs. 

• Like 2

Sadly, whenever I see him bolt down the wing, I just expect him to run into a dead end. He's not skilful enough to skip past defenders and his crosses and shots are hopeful at best. I have far more confidence in Palmer, because he knows his limitations and will pass back when he has no options. I think Harris should stop trying to be a world beater and just concentrate on doing the simple things well.

• Like 1

Nothing much to say about Harris

There's a reason why he didn't get much game time at Cardiff or previous loan clubs and was released though

We sign him and he's a regular week in week out, like some spark is going to change and he's gonna produce the goods week in week out

Its the Wednesday Way

Guest Jack the Hat
On 27/09/2020 at 15:48, Sticky Micky said:

Poor man's wade small 

He has some pace but fail to see what else he offers 

1 assist and 0 goals in 2020 

Now you mention it he does remind me of Wade Small and I actually think small was better.  The amount of times his cross doesn’t beat the first  man is painful. As are his weak shots. He needs to be a squad player. Or taught how to cross at least.

I've never really rated Harris, but he's the least of our problems.

But he's far more effective on the right, when he plays left and runs down the wing he invariably comes inside to use his right foot, and then thinks feck it I might as well have a shot....on the right he does get the occasional decent cross in.

To be fair to him, he's defending quite well for a winger.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2020 at 17:05, GLOwl said:

Given we didn't score Tod then obviously he's not going to have an assist or goal 😀

He had a good game today, anyone who knows football will agree with that. I've not checked but his number of touches and successful passes will show that.

Yeh,Brian Laws commented on how good he was and what an excellent signing.

9 minutes ago, pioowl said:

Yeh,Brian Laws commented on how good he was and what an excellent signing.

I tuned Brian laws voice out after 10 minutes. That guy takes forever to describe something, by which time the game has moved on a fair bit 😂

He’s an ATTACKING WINGER. Playing him as a wing back just nullifies most of his attacking capabilities, as he spends a large chunk of it in our own half.

He needs to be one who stays up in the oppositions half of the pitch when they have a corner 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 2

If Harris had an end product he would be at a much better club than us.  This is the market we are now operating in.  On Sunday, more composure in the final third and we would have been 2 or 3 up at half time.  Its just up to Monk to squeeze as much out of these players as he can, but we have to accept that the quality we have had in previous years will not be there.

4 minutes ago, Dooogs said:

Oof, that's cold. Small was brilliant for about 15 minutes against Charlton and crap for the rest of his Wednesday career...

Going back to our obsession with ex-Wednesday players, I hadn't realised how quickly his career sank. WS went from playing Championship football (albeit mediocrely) at 24 to non-league by 26 and done by 29.

As fans we don’t get the chance to ask the manager questions.

We rely on local media.

They never ask questions about tactics or strengths and weaknesses yet often come out with the old “ we are asking the questions the fans want asked “

Why not simply ask “ we are struggling to get decent crosses in yet our best players for doing this , eg Reach and Penny, are not in the team “

Expect to hear it at the press conference tomorrow 

I think Harris’s biggest issue is his decision making.

A bit like my dog , once it’s made it’s mind up, no shifting it.

He decides early what he is trying to do then gets his head down and goes for it, for better or worse. 

The best footballers always play with their heads up looking for the best options.

Harris is another player we don't use properly, I personally don't think the wingback position suits him at all.  Sure he covers us defensively with his work rate and pace, however in an attacking sense, it doesn't help us or him whatsoever.  There is literally no output from him, goals assists, crosses into the box.

Harris is effectively another player being played out of position, then we wonder why there is no end product.  

I don't believe that this system really works for many players.  

• Like 2