Paul Cook

6 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Name me one manager that’s played Reach steadfastly on the Left while he’s been our player. He’s been played everywhere by every manager not just Monk. 
Monk signs a defender to help bolster a defence that conceded 60 goals last season, and he has wasted resources ?
Where constantly looking for an experienced striker, so is most of the League. We cannot just go out and spend 10 million on a striker. It’s called FFP and Covid. 

Some would rather blame Monk rather than the situation. 

If you are going to respond to comment at least put them into context and quote properly instead of simply pushing your agenda

The post to which I replied said Monk is, “trying to make do with what we have.” My point is we have a LWB / LM in Reach and Monk won’t play him in his preferred position which is hardly making the most of what we have. Where previous managers chose to play Reach is irrelevant. 

The OP implied we were forced to play Reach out of position because, “Windass or Kachunga aren’t CFs either.” My point is that Monk signed both players therefore we only have them because he chose them. 

As for you saying, “Monk signs a defender to help bolster a defence that conceded 60 goals last season, and he has wasted resources”. If you can be bothered to read, I said “used resources to sign Dunkley that could have been put towards an experienced striker”. I didn’t mention waste. 

How are you able to de-link Monk from “the situation”. He is the manager. He sets the strategy. He chooses the tactics. He organises training. He picks the team. He makes the substitutions. He has chosen who to release and who to sign since he arrived. If the manager has no impact on team performance and it is the “situation” that is accountable then why do we need a manager at all?

7 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

I think it’s more like some of our fan base are losing the plot. 
Since the new year our form has been poor agreed. 
Now he has got rid of most of the underachieving high wage brigade. and  has his own coaching team in place. He  is bringing in young players on a shoestring budget and playing to a system that he wants to play and the players know how he wants to play. We are a massive work in progress and it will take time, whether we had the points deduction or not, and no matter who was in charge.

So far I can see that progress is being made and that is all any fan should be asking at this stage. 
Come Christmas and that progress has disappeared and we are going backwards then fair enough review his position. Give the man a chance FFS. 

It's really tricky. We are in a bad way - the man who should lose his job and who is ultimately to blame owns the whole shooting match so that's one change we can't make.

Judging Monk might be difficult. Even if results aren't what we would like it doesn't necessarily mean he should be sacked. This is a long term job - given the points deduction we might end up taking an apparent step back even if we are in reality moving forward.

Rotherham could have sacked Warne when they went down but they stuck with him and the result was promotion. It's going to take a nuanced, realistic assessment of our direction of travel rather than a knee jerk reaction based on the surface view.

I doubt he's the man to turn us round but he's the current manager and ultimately we're going to have to give someone the chance to plan for the long term. As the man in place he gets first go. If we crash and burn the decision will be obvious but I suspect it will be more finely balanced than that. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Rotherham could have sacked Warne when they went down but they stuck with him and the result was promotion. It's going to take a nuanced, realistic assessment of our direction of travel rather than a knee jerk reaction based on the surface view.

We have needed a long term plan since DC got here...it may be that we finally have one and the beauty of it is that coaches are replaced when we reach the next level so GM is here at least till next summer when we reflect and try to keep improving

On 28/09/2020 at 10:23, Dutch McLovin said:

As i have said the day monk gets sacked will be a good day for this club IMO, but staying up this season is a must. So they have my full support  

Don't post this and try and patronise us by suggesting you're behind Monk and the team

You're clearly not

Everyone can see that

Owlstalk Shop

On 27/09/2020 at 15:45, S36 OWL said:

A manager with a proven record, promotions to his name and worked wonders with little or no money at Wigan. Go and get him Chansiri and get rid of Monk before it's too late. 5 wins in last 25 league games is unacceptable. Jos got sacked with a better record than Monk. 

Absolutely DISGRACEFUL post

Almost like you were waiting weeks for the first loss to post it

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Don't post this and try and patronise us by suggesting you're behind Monk and the team

You're clearly not

Everyone can see that

If he were about to be executed and was given the chance for a few last words in a potential last ditch plea to save himself, he would rant about Garry Monk. 

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
3 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

If you are going to respond to comment at least put them into context and quote properly instead of simply pushing your agenda

The post to which I replied said Monk is, “trying to make do with what we have.” My point is we have a LWB / LM in Reach and Monk won’t play him in his preferred position which is hardly making the most of what we have. Where previous managers chose to play Reach is irrelevant. 

The OP implied we were forced to play Reach out of position because, “Windass or Kachunga aren’t CFs either.” My point is that Monk signed both players therefore we only have them because he chose them. 

As for you saying, “Monk signs a defender to help bolster a defence that conceded 60 goals last season, and he has wasted resources”. If you can be bothered to read, I said “used resources to sign Dunkley that could have been put towards an experienced striker”. I didn’t mention waste. 

How are you able to de-link Monk from “the situation”. He is the manager. He sets the strategy. He chooses the tactics. He organises training. He picks the team. He makes the substitutions. He has chosen who to release and who to sign since he arrived. If the manager has no impact on team performance and it is the “situation” that is accountable then why do we need a manager at all?

What Agenda !! 

I was merely responding to your post and was not deliberately taking anything out of context.

You said Monk steadfastly refused to play Reach out Left and was show horn if him into the side. I merely pointed out that every other manager had not consistently played Reach in that position and Monk and Reach had sat and discussed his best position for the team.

Agreed, you didn’t say waste. You said resources could have been spent on a striker and not on Dunkley and strengthening the defence, then went on to name all our central defenders. Central defenders that conceded 60 goals, so It can be argued that Monk was correct to strengthen.

i didn’t de-link Monk from anything, just pointed out that the situation in my opinion was more to blame than Monk.

He has had to deal with the mass exodus of players, no coaching team until recently, the FFP situation as well as the negativity around the club. He has now got rid of the dead wood, got his own coaching staff, started bringing in his own players while working on a shoestring budget. Players that are young and hungry and understand the system he wants to play.

Unless you have an anti Monk agenda it’s obvious to see the progress being made and after 1 defeat some calling for another manager is ridiculous.

If at Christmas the Progress looks to have stopped and we are going backwards then okay Review Monks situation.

46 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

What Agenda !! 

I was merely responding to your post and was not deliberately taking anything out of context.

You said Monk steadfastly refused to play Reach out Left and was show horn if him into the side. I merely pointed out that every other manager had not consistently played Reach in that position and Monk and Reach had sat and discussed his best position for the team.

Agreed, you didn’t say waste. You said resources could have been spent on a striker and not on Dunkley and strengthening the defence, then went on to name all our central defenders. Central defenders that conceded 60 goals, so It can be argued that Monk was correct to strengthen.

i didn’t de-link Monk from anything, just pointed out that the situation in my opinion was more to blame than Monk.

He has had to deal with the mass exodus of players, no coaching team until recently, the FFP situation as well as the negativity around the club. He has now got rid of the dead wood, got his own coaching staff, started bringing in his own players while working on a shoestring budget. Players that are young and hungry and understand the system he wants to play.

Unless you have an anti Monk agenda it’s obvious to see the progress being made and after 1 defeat some calling for another manager is ridiculous.

If at Christmas the Progress looks to have stopped and we are going backwards then okay Review Monks situation.

Sorry. Don’t see the progress and this is the issue. The 90 mins v Walsall was as bad as it gets. The result against Cardiff has been put into perspective by their start to the season. The second half v Brizzle was flat, passive and aimless. 

Frankly I could care less who the manager is if he is improving performances and results. The situation is a nightmare, I agree but a good manager will have a clear strategy & tactics and you will see an improvement, however small. Watching Monks team is like Groundhog Day. Same players played out of position, same negative substitutions, second half capitulation after second half capitulation, no solution to our woeful home form, same focus on negating the opposition rather than having an identity of our own. 

Please be clear, I don’t dislike Monk, I’m not a hater, I only wish him well. He has an unbelievably hard job and he has the guts to give it a go. I actually like the way he speaks and carries himself but I don’t believe he has the skill set or personality to get the best out of this, or any squad. My fear is by Xmas it will be too late for this season and even harder to recruit the right successor. 

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
1 hour ago, owlmark said:

In truth it doesn't. I have had two season tickets for 4 years at a cost of £4,400. How far does that go in paying Rhodes wages in a week?

So basically he’s receiving none of the money that doesn’t cover anything anyway

Guest Willow Owl
3 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Sorry. Don’t see the progress and this is the issue. The 90 mins v Walsall was as bad as it gets. The result against Cardiff has been put into perspective by their start to the season. The second half v Brizzle was flat, passive and aimless. 

Frankly I could care less who the manager is if he is improving performances and results. The situation is a nightmare, I agree but a good manager will have a clear strategy & tactics and you will see an improvement, however small. Watching Monks team is like Groundhog Day. Same players played out of position, same negative substitutions, second half capitulation after second half capitulation, no solution to our woeful home form, same focus on negating the opposition rather than having an identity of our own. 

Please be clear, I don’t dislike Monk, I’m not a hater, I only wish him well. He has an unbelievably hard job and he has the guts to give it a go. I actually like the way he speaks and carries himself but I don’t believe he has the skill set or personality to get the best out of this, or any squad. My fear is by Xmas it will be too late for this season and even harder to recruit the right successor. 

You’re entitled to your opinion but in my opinion there is an obvious improvement. The Walsall game was Rubbish and  more like a friendly but we won end of.  The result away against Cardiff was a great result against a team that finished 5th last year. Yet, when we win the ones that don’t rate Monk always say it was the other team that played poorly. We played a Watford team whose starting line up cost more than 40 million and for 60 mins were on top or well in it. The last half hour we defended really well and whoever finishes above Watford in my opinion will automatically go up. 
The first half against Bristol we should have been in front, second half agreed we were poor. Again perspective, Bristol have spent a lot more than us and from a far better starting point.

In summary, 4 points against three teams tipped for top six is a positive start and the 352 formation is as clear as it gets as Monks preferred formation. The players know what he wants and they seem to have a great work ethic and team spirit. We do need another striker, but we are a massive work in progress and cannot be expected to win every game. Like I said earlier, Christmas time we will be able to make more of a judgement as we will have played majority of teams once by then. 

4 hours ago, rickygoo said:

It's really tricky. We are in a bad way - the man who should lose his job and who is ultimately to blame owns the whole shooting match so that's one change we can't make.

Judging Monk might be difficult. Even if results aren't what we would like it doesn't necessarily mean he should be sacked. This is a long term job - given the points deduction we might end up taking an apparent step back even if we are in reality moving forward.

I doubt he's the man to turn us round but he's the current manager and ultimately we're going to have to give someone the chance to plan for the long term. As the man in place he gets first go. If we crash and burn the decision will be obvious but I suspect it will be more finely balanced than that. 

Realistically Rotherham probably expected to go down two seasons ago, he was the man that got them up in the first place and they weren't far off staying up points-wise. 

We on the other hand have gone from 39 points from 23 games to 5 wins in our last 26 games at the same level., 

On 27/09/2020 at 16:23, CrosbyKitchens said:

Manager's brought in his own backroom staff, brought in a load of new players, the transfer window isn't even shut and he's going to get sacked. fizz my old boots.

Point is he should have gone before lockdown started, not being given the chance to continue. Let’s see what the next few matches bring. If the club fails to bring in suitable forwards and he loses more than half of the October fixtures then we have no hope!

4 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Point is he should have gone before lockdown started, not being given the chance to continue. Let’s see what the next few matches bring. If the club fails to bring in suitable forwards and he loses more than half of the October fixtures then we have no hope!

I don’t disagree, BUT that’s history now. For the time being he’s been given another chance and calling for him to be sacked after 3 league games is utterly juvenile 

This isn’t going to be a pretty season , we all know that. I would liken this one to the first season up under sturrock where we had to dig in and defend, score from set plays and grind out enough points to stay up .  The key for me is that we do not go back to the horrible capitulations of last season where we were shipping 3 or 4 in quick succession and were defending with a red carpet for the opposition . It was clear the team was broken in some of those performances. 

I am pretty sure the manager will last the season. It’s almost a free hit . I expect us to go down given the points deduction, lack of scorers and inconsistent goalies so relegation really is par and anything better a massive bonus .

11 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

So basically he’s receiving none of the money that doesn’t cover anything anyway

The club is certainly getting the money but it ain't covering much in the overall scheme of things; or certainly wasn't when we had all the high wage earners 💰

So yes you are right, it is going into the club. 

16 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

You're clearly not

Everyone can see that

I never said I was behind monk and im not patronising anyone.

However I AM fully behind the team and will be all season whether monk gets fired or not. Which is a point ive made from the start of this season since it became apparent he wasnt going.

Just now, Dutch McLovin said:

I never said I was behind monk and im not patronising anyone.

However I AM fully behind the team and will be all season whether monk gets fired or not. Which is a point ive made from the start of this season since it became apparent he wasnt going.

You do realise by saying "I'm right behind the team" and spending every waking day NOT being behind them by posting anti-Monk stuff ISNT being 'right behind them' though right?

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

You do realise by saying "I'm right behind the team" and spending every waking day NOT being behind them by posting anti-Monk stuff ISNT being 'right behind them' though right?

How do you not get this ??

I am anti Monk and believe I have good reason to be. I would love him to be gone.

Does that mean im not behind the team ?? No i am fully behind them and if we were allowed in would be there home an away as usual giving it large (more away than at home that one) trying to spur them on to get the points we need to stay up.

Posting anti monk posts with reason does not equal not being behind the team. Its pretty simple.