Beaten by the better team

I kept saying it last season but I think the problem is stamina. I had hoped that with a younger fresher squad we might be better equipped to play the way Monk wants but today it looked like we dominated when we had fresh legs but then fell apart when we couldn't keep it going. So far this season we've looked like we can outplay more talented teams simply by running harder than them but it looks like we're not going to be able to keep that going. It would help if we had the quality of striker to give us a goal while we're on top but let's face it, we haven't.

Guest Jack the Hat
51 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

Its as simple as that i think. Man to man, not much in it, but their forward line was much more potent than ours. If we don't solve our striker crisis this is going to be a long difficult season. 

They really weren’t that good.

They've brought in some creative talent to add to a good core team and have beaten everyone in the league so far. We outperformed them in the first half but need to explore how to keep that going in the second half. Definitely need an added striker but four points from two tricky away ties and a former prem team at home. I'll take that.

1 hour ago, Spondon Owl said:

Its as simple as that i think. Man to man, not much in it, but their forward line was much more potent than ours. If we don't solve our striker crisis this is going to be a long difficult season. 

Martin , who some on here laughed at when it was suggested we should sign him, totally schooled our defence today . He is exactly what we needed. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Daz said:

Our capitulations in second halves are shocking. For some reason we lose energy and drop deeper, handing the initiative to the opposition and leaving our attack completely impotent. 

It's either attitude, fitness or tactics as we've done it for a long time now in the vast majority of games. 

Abysmal second half and Monk had no clue how to change it.

His only thought was to play Reach wide left.

Something literally just said he didn’t think was the way forward

49 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

I thought we matched them first half, without ever really looking like scoring.

Once they scored, there was no way back and it was effectively game done and dusted.

My car won’t go anywhere if there’s no petrol in it. Similarly we won’t get anywhere without any decent established strikers who can pressurise defenders and create and take chances. 

It’s not rocket science

Rocket surgery mate. 

1 hour ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Doesn’t altogether explain our capitulation in the second half

It does. 

They just weren't on it first half, which has clearly skewed the perception if how good we were first half. We were OK in the first half against an underpeforming team that were much closer to their potential 2nd half. Same as against watford. 

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

Only one team played second half.

Not for the first time. For all our positive play in the first half how many times was their keeper overly tested? 

33 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Martin , who some on here laughed at when it was suggested we should sign him, totally schooled our defence today . He is exactly what we needed. 

Totally agree . Some of the experts on here make me laugh when they totally underate proven players. Even louder when certain ones list their targets who we should be buying. Totally unrealistic at times.

Thought we were slightly the better team in the first half, without really creating much. Thought Bristol City were much the better team in the second half, and created chances. Although I'd agree with you that we definitely need strikers, we've got a problem creating as well. 90 minutes without a proper chance today. 

Can't argue with that. I think we slightly dominated the first half, and were the better team but they controlled the 2nd half and scored a deserved goal when on top. I think the 2nd goal flatters them a little, but it was a fair result in the end.

1 hour ago, Daz said:

Our capitulations in second halves are shocking. For some reason we lose energy and drop deeper, handing the initiative to the opposition and leaving our attack completely impotent. 

It's either attitude, fitness or tactics as we've done it for a long time now in the vast majority of games. 

Abysmal second half and Monk had no clue how to change it.

Who would you suggest he brought on? We don't really have game changing players on the bench.

Reach? Rhodes?

Borner might, big might have shored up the defence but we needed to get at them

Pelupessy? Odubajo? might be a better option than Reach.

We need more attacking options. Last year we had Nuhiu who for all his obvious limitations could come on late and cause havoc by just being a big awkward lump.

If we get better attacking options it would help, maybe better wing backs. Trouble is we are limited in what we can do. Something changed and we had to cut our cloth differently, less quality. That was obvious from Monks comments.

At the end of the day we need to survive this season. We've pulled back 4 points on the bottom clubs, if we keep reeling them in that's fine by me. We are going to lose games. We won't challenge with the current squad.

Did anyone notice Laws in commentary? 

When we Brought Reach on he was asked, " so what happened here Brian"

Long pause

"Well he's changed things but its all like for like, at this point you have to try and do something different, Wednesday have basically kept it how it was"

I agree with much of that but it leaves the question of why we stopped competing the longer the game went on and played so much deeper. We could have expected them to come at us more as the home team, but the drop in our workrate and how they seemed to want it more than us was alarming, after a decent first half where we did compete. They stepped their game up but we didn't step up ours and in fact, watched the game slip away.

14 minutes ago, Daz said:

I agree with much of that but it leaves the question of why we stopped competing the longer the game went on and played so much deeper. We could have expected them to come at us more as the home team, but the drop in our workrate and how they seemed to want it more than us was alarming, after a decent first half where we did compete. They stepped their game up but we didn't step up ours and in fact, watched the game slip away.

Happens at times and not just us either, dont no why. Anyway its not a season to mull things over we are in a scrap, get sleeves rolled up, bring in a striker and get on with it.

I F we can find a target man & goalscorer we will be fine.

• Like 1