Sorry DC but buy (or get) a bloody Forward

34 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I didn't think we were overly defensive yesterday.

If you look at the average positions, both wingbacks (numbers 2 and 7) got forward pretty well, too:

552986971_ScreenShot2020-09-28at07_25_26.png.ede4d150c4b9890a242e2dfd406331dc.png

The issue was that they put in a total of seven crosses between them, only three of which found their man.

Thats interesting that, clearly shows the shape of the team but the strikers need to be higher up the pitch!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Thats interesting that, clearly shows the shape of the team but the strikers need to be higher up the pitch!

Yep - we looked well-organised and disciplined again, but having Windass, Brown and Kachunga all drifting around the same area of the pitch didn't really stretch Bristol City a great deal.

Hopefully Paterson and/or another centre forward can add a bit of variety to our attacking play.

13 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

Huddersfied want £16m for him.  I don’t think he’s on our list of options 

Longer he sits out and nobody pays that the better for us.

Smash our transfer record and pay it. A decent season or two and you can ask for double in return.

Also would probably keep us up which could be worth even more. Spendageddon 2 must occur.

Taking so long to sort this out, we’re in danger of losing momentum. After much early season promise, mainly in the shape of rumours of players we were interested in bringing here, but also a good first week to start the season. Now things are starting unravel, we are no longer getting linked the calibre of player we were originally linked with, now resorting to bringing in lower end championship players. We’ve now gone three games without a win, in fact three games without even notching a goal. Our development sides lose every week, and if we don’t soon bring in a few players who will make a real difference, any remaining goodwill is likely to disappear

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

Fletcher is a big loss for me, irrelevant of his age and injury record I don't think we had any other option but to keep him on the books for another year on high wages.

I'm all for refreshing this squad and agree it needs to happen, but that's a difficult task for any club never mind one starting on -12.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bassett's Allsorts said:

Fletcher is a big loss for me, irrelevant of his age and injury record I don't think we had any other option but to keep him on the books for another year on high wages.

I'm all for refreshing this squad and agree it needs to happen, but that's a difficult task for any club never mind one starting on -12.   

After being paid very well for 4 years, half of which he was injured he chose money over Loyalty, even though all the crap we heard from him in the press the first chance he had he went elsewhere.

Trust me we don't need players like that, didn't he also refuse to play for the final 9 games came on for a few minutes then we never saw him again, both him and fox did not extend their deals to help the team get the 12 points clear of the relegation zone. But Fessi was the one that got slated, at least he had his reason the manager did not play him. 

33 minutes ago, room0035 said:

After being paid very well for 4 years, half of which he was injured he chose money over Loyalty, even though all the crap we heard from him in the press the first chance he had he went elsewhere.

Trust me we don't need players like that, didn't he also refuse to play for the final 9 games came on for a few minutes then we never saw him again, both him and fox did not extend their deals to help the team get the 12 points clear of the relegation zone. But Fessi was the one that got slated, at least he had his reason the manager did not play him. 

There is no loyalty in football anymore so it didn't surprise me, and at 33 can you really blame him for wanting one last payday? I just think it was worth twisting for another year considering the financial position we are currently in and how important he was last season despite injuries.

Will/can we bring in a worthy replacement for £2m? (est. cost of his yearly wages) I doubt it and relegation will cost the club a lot more.

Appreciate what Monk is trying to do and I really hope he's successful as I've actually warmed to the bloke over the summer, but I just think it's too much too soon and we'll be paying the price for our poor recruitment strategy (nothing new!) come December. 

• Like 1

Guest Grandad
On 28/09/2020 at 07:15, Jamie_W said:

To be fair a free-scoring striker is the hardest position to fill in a team, not to mention the most expensive. You can’t just ‘go and get one’, even if one is available every other bugger will want him too and they aren’t on -12 points.

Fletcher was offered a 70% reduction in wages reportedly

Do you think in hindsight this was a mistake?

23 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

No. We paid him far to much for half a season every year.

I understand that point of course.

But

19/20 - 2134 mins 13 goals

18/19 - 2941 mins - 11 goals

Of our current 5 strikers, which do you think will play as many minutes or score as many goals? 

We have quantity, but very little quality.

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I understand that point of course.

But

19/20 - 2134 mins 13 goals

18/19 - 2941 mins - 11 goals

Of our current 5 strikers, which do you think will play as many minutes or score as many goals? 

We have quantity, but very little quality.

We have no quality whatsoever.

No good moaning about Fletcher going though. Due to all the money we have wasted the last 5 years, strikers of his quality albeit overpaid and injury prone, are a thing of the past.

Just now, Mr Farrell said:

We have no quality whatsoever.

No good moaning about Fletcher going though. Due to all the money we have wasted the last 5 years, strikers of his quality albeit overpaid and injury prone, are a thing of the past.

I don’t disagree with that sentiment, but we have replaced a brilliant striker who can only play half a season with 5 strikers who will each play less than half a season cos none of them are good enough to hold down a place.

Of course I hope Paterson proves me wrong.

• Like 1