Sorry DC but buy (or get) a bloody Forward

Nothing sticks. In open play we’re counter attack or nothing. We can’t build attacks. We’ve dragged our arse bringing in strikers and now it’s costing us points, sadly. We were decent first half. Second half showing has been diabolical. 

Everyone is missing the problem, again.

We aren't creating anything, it's the exact same issue we had 12 months ago with Joao, Fletcher, FF, Nuhiu, Winnall Rhodes etc all on the payroll. We have the quality in the team to score goals, we just don't create enough chances or play to anyone strengths (apart from Bannans) so we continue to limit our 'strikers' to long balls & crosses into the box or relying on some individual brilliance from Windass, Harris or Reach.

The current 352 highlights how without Murphy we offer very little quality from wide areas and without Fletcher up top we cannot play long balls and allow Bannan to constantly drop deep and look for the hollywood pass 4/5 times a game.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

As with Monk, you don't suddenly get good overnight. Unfortunately.

Just heard him dither and give away a corner....From which Brighton score their second....worrying....not Monks fault he can only work with what he has got,need some firepower up front,and Van Aken clearly not Championship standard in my view..

And  Harris's crossing!!  if only Reach could come back into form and be played on the left...(wishful thinking,sadly i dont myself think thats going to happen,seems a spent force).we need more accurate crossing into the box..watched Chelsea be as poor in the first half,as we seem to have been in the second,but there accurate crossing into the box turned the game....and pulled back a 0-3 defecit...

Must re adjust with what we have initially, defence looked weak(mentality) in second half and flapped a bit...Van Aken in particular ,one bad game? or simply not good enough? doesnt seem to have improved sufficiently to me,to be relied upon.

Monk and his team going to have a lot to think about before the next game...& a big test of character coming up,for the players

5 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Everyone is missing the problem, again.

We aren't creating anything, it's the exact same issue we had 12 months ago with Joao, Fletcher, FF, Nuhiu, Winnall Rhodes etc all on the payroll. We have the quality in the team to score goals, we just don't create enough chances or play to anyone strengths (apart from Bannans) so we continue to limit our 'strikers' to long balls & crosses into the box or relying on some individual brilliance from Windass, Harris or Reach.

The current 352 highlights how without Murphy we offer very little quality from wide areas and without Fletcher up top we cannot play long balls and allow Bannan to constantly drop deep and look for the hollywood pass 4/5 times a game.

Worryingly,we seem to have little in the 'locker' in terms of dead ball situations either...Just not scoring goals,or making chances,from free kicks,corners,or throw in's that together with a lack of OOmmphh  from free play is a continuing worry..Why are we unable to at least bring in a recognizable front man?

Edited by parajack

That’s three games without a win, no goals, and four conceded, the danger signs are there. The only unit that looks fit for purpose, is the midfield, but it’s wasted with our forward options. We have a top of the table midfield, but a bottom of the table strike force. That’s what you get when you favour willing runners over ability. Is Paterson not more of the same. 
The defence was OK first half, but after the break, City exposed us down our left. I see no merit in the extra man at the back, and would rather utilise an extra forward by playing a flat back four. However, it’s up front where we need to add some serious quality, and quickly

• Like 3

Guest Theboylangers
18 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Nothing sticks. In open play we’re counter attack or nothing. We can’t build attacks. We’ve dragged our arse bringing in strikers and now it’s costing us points, sadly. We were decent first half. Second half showing has been diabolical. 

I agree with this.

The ball just comes straight back when we play it up to our forwards. Windass has qualities but he's not someone who will hold the ball up. 

Kachunga did absolutely nothing.

We need a Fletcher type ASAP. 

30 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I did the exact same post the other night and got crucified for it 

Yeah but you have set yourself up as the spokesperson for Monk, not that this is a Monk out thread either. 

Just saying that we need forwards to bring the rest of the team into the game, we didn't play badly just ineffectual when around the box.

Another thing for the second week on a trot we have controlled the first half but allowed the other team to take control in the second half we don't seem to be able to go in a higher gear.

• Like 1

As usual, we're limping through to the first international break recruitment wise before completing our squad. 

I appreciate it's difficult, but as we do it every year, suggests part of it on purpose. 

Our attacking play looks a long way off where it needs to be on the basis of today.

We've chosen to overload our forward line with players for whom it's not necessarily  been their primary position, 4 wingers and looks like we're signing a right back to add to the mix. Today it showed, plenty of endeavour, but no cutting edge, positionally poor up front.

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

This game might force the issue. But I think a striker or two would always be later in the window if we want decent ones

i was thinking the same. This game and Watford showed how weak we are up top and could have won both with better strikers. I just hope Paterson isn’t the only striker we bring in. 

1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

The frustrating thing is it was blatantly obvious it's what we really needed months ago.

This has all the hallmarks of the 2 year search for a centre half and ending up with Van Aken.

We have signed Borner and Iorfa and had Hector on loan. Van aken might be poor but I don’t think it has needed to be the focus of our transfer policy, we all know what that should be.

Generally speaking when we do sign players I am usually happy with the quality even if some don’t work out. On paper most of them should have and have a decent reputation.

If we wanted to sign a striker or two more then we could’ve signed plenty of sub standard ones. The issue is the length of the window into the season. It’s too long