Joao, on fire

I've always said, it isn't just about a player being good enough or not good enough, sometimes it's just down to the right sort of player being at the right sort of club at the right time. Joao's time with us was over, we weren't the right place for him and it just wasn't the right time for us. Joao is the sort of player that wouldn't have progressed much more here but a fresh start would likely galvanise him... a fresh environment, new ideas, the kick up the Kadeem Harris that comes from moving home and changing employer. Think he probably knew it. It happens in all professions IMO. 

The money we got for him was decent for what he'd offer us moving forward. I'm happy he's kicked on to a level I really don't believe he would have reached here, because hopefully it means we'll have add on clauses and sell ons etc to profit from. The best thing about this transfer is that it was really done on our terms. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Rising to £7M with add ons plus a 20% sell on clause. Difficult to turn that down in our position. 

If this is the case I’m crossing my fingers for him to fire them to third with twenty goals and then lose the playoffs. He’s bought for 15m by relegated West Ham and we’re all giddy about the 2-5m extra we receive. 

12 hours ago, Nut said:

Exactly. If we got £7m for him that was great business. He was anonymous a lot of the time he was here but has all the physical attributes to be a very good player. 

According to Transfermarket, we got Euros 5.8 million, or £4.5 which is what Star also reported at time.

However, not sure club received this as his agent was / is Doyen - Paxo at that time - and, as Abramovich leaks this week showed, Doyen are really involved in third party player ownership (later investment),  where agents - not club - take profit from sales.

Maybe even add -ons if Reading go up.

João got three goals and an assist in his first three appearances for us in the 18/19 season.

Then he added another two goals in his next dozen appearances.

Maybe he has turned a corner and finally found the consistency that's eluded him until now; it's far too early to say after only three games.

• Like 1

Realistically he was again a victim of us buying loads of strikers we didn’t need.

Joao by season 2/3 should have been the main man he just wasn’t consistent enough or got enough of a run to he consistent. 

Out of the 7 strikers we had at the time he left he was the one I would have kept but the only one that had any monetary value so really we did the only thing we could

in selling. 

16 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Realistically he was again a victim of us buying loads of strikers we didn’t need.

Joao by season 2/3 should have been the main man he just wasn’t consistent enough or got enough of a run to he consistent. 

Out of the 7 strikers we had at the time he left he was the one I would have kept but the only one that had any monetary value so really we did the only thing we could

in selling. 

This, and I hate to mention them again, but at a club like Brentford, they would have made him the main man. What it does show us though, is our recruitment policy has been, and to a degree, still is, all wrong. 
You target young players with a good level of skill and natural attributes, and you will generally find another club willing to pay big money. It’s the Brentford model. When we signed Rhodes and Winnall, I said at the time, that they would cost us big time. Both may have scored goals previously, but clearly both lacked the skill sets to ever be successful at this level. Sometimes you do need other things in the group, and I could justify signing a player like Fletcher, but it would always have been Joao as a starter if it were up to me. Looking at our current striking group, are we not in danger of making the same mistakes again? Not one youngster with a decent set of attributes, who might in a year or so, command a fee.

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

Joao should be in the premier league and it's his fault he is not, it's as simple as that. 

He's an unreliable maverick, his performances were either a 2 or a 9 out of 10.

Very interested to see how he does this season after such a great start, but selling him at that price was excellent business given our situation. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Let’s see if he keeps it up instead of creaming over a few games lol the whole problem with Joao was his consistency after all

The Lucas Joao I remember was infuriating. He could score special goals, but also missed absolute sitters. Bags of pace, but looked out of sorts half the time.

I was amazed we got what we did for him, and at that price we were definitely right to let him go. Obviously it's frustrating looking at how well he's doing now, but I just don't think the way we were run at the time was ever going to bring out the best in him, so we might as well not dwell on it.  Sometimes a player just needs to be in a particular environment to flourish (he went to Blackburn on loan and didn't exactly pull up any trees there either) so I guess the setup at Reading suits him.

1 minute ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

The Lucas Joao I remember was infuriating. He could score special goals, but also missed absolute sitters. Bags of pace, but looked out of sorts half the time.

I was amazed we got what we did for him, and at that price we were definitely right to let him go. Obviously it's frustrating looking at how well he's doing now, but I just don't think the way we were run at the time was ever going to bring out the best in him, so we might as well not dwell on it.  Sometimes a player just needs to be in a particular environment to flourish (he went to Blackburn on loan and didn't exactly pull up any trees there either) so I guess the setup at Reading suits him.

Yes the way Reading play really suits him He never was going to thrive in a long ball set up, either chasing flick ons, or the one expected to flick it on. He wants the ball to his feet, where he can turn opponents at will. He was always better playing with Forestieri. Anyway, we move on, we got a fair price, so now we need to find the next Lucas Joao

16 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Only Carlos got a tune out of him.

Talk about anti- Carlos propaganda.   

And which clown sold him anyway?    Certainly not Carlos.

His best spell here came under Luhukay when he and Nuhiu both scored goals at a rate neither have matched before or since. And it was a good job they did.

I suspect we had little choice but to sell Joao at the time for that kind of offer.