Sell Adam Reach

2 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Yet another player that we have signed because of his ability in a certain position, then we play him in every position except the one he was bought to fill!

When he first came, he played left wing and won every player of the year award, a clean sweep. Then we start playing him in the middle, then on the right, now up front! I really cannot understand why Harries keeps him out of the team on that left hand side either. Harries is great at running with the ball, but nowhere near as good as Reach at crossing and nowhere near as good as Reach at shooting, plus Reach's dead ball play is as good, if not better than Bannan's, and Brown's.

When Reach plays on the right, we lose an excellent left winger/wingback and gain a half decent right winger/wingback, so we lose out twice! If running is so high up on our agenda then why not play Harries on the right and Reach on the left? You get the same amount of running from Harries, maybe even better shooting and crossing, but certainly no worse than now and we Reach back on the left hand side growing in confidence and hopefully getting back to his best. He was our best attacking player against Rochdale in the cup, with 3 shots on target, 1 saved, 2 blocked, 1 hit the crossbar and a free kick narrowly missed the top corner, with the keeper beaten.

If we are not going to play him where he benefits the team most and we do decide to sell him, we will get next to nothing for him right now. You sell when stocks are high not low. Is he another of those players that we might have to fork out more money for, if he plays more games, scores more goals or whatever as part of his original contract? I thought there were add on payments which must be determined by something like that and also maybe a selling on fee, or percentage? 

Perfect summary.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

I would say he was in great form 18/19 and decent form in the first half of 19/20, upto his injury. We focus on his form after his injury - he played the grand total of 200 minutes!

Yet it’s this form that a portion of our fans and our manager are using to exclude him from our plans.

He is easily our best LWB option.

2018 yes,but thats two Years ago,reach was played at LWB by Monk & didnt impress..https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/adam-reach-sheffield-wednesday-stats-18550170   

Q is will he ever get back to that form? there s competition for that spot now,and Monk doesnt seem to fancy him,over others(though Reach crossing ability way superior to say Harris..)  1 league goal in 33 appearances is a return comparable only to JR in terms of lack of form..

20 hours ago, Holmowl said:

It isn’t remotely hard to see where he fits in.

The left-footed left-winger who has also played 40 games at left-back.....and we are really struggling to find a LWB.

Monk is a fool. 

Totally agree on Reach's suitability & ideal role,but only if the player is on form,and can be relied upon to produce.Reach hasn't done that or been that player in recent times,1 goal in some 30 odd appearances is comparable only to JR in loss of form

20 minutes ago, parajack said:

2018 yes,but thats two Years ago,reach was played at LWB by Monk & didnt impress..https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/adam-reach-sheffield-wednesday-stats-18550170   

Q is will he ever get back to that form? there s competition for that spot now,and Monk doesnt seem to fancy him,over others(though Reach crossing ability way superior to say Harris..)  1 league goal in 33 appearances is a return comparable only to JR in terms of lack of form..

Have you looked at Harris record since Brentford away 26 games - 0 goals, 1 assist.

Last season with Reach playing here, there and everywhere he scored 1 and assisted 6 goals, Harris scored 3 goals and 3 assists, so Reach created more goals than the bloke who under Monk is virtually undroppable and in 10 games less.

If Reach is so bad then surely that makes Harris even worse does it not.

Give Reach a run in the team in his preferred position and he will give us a lot more than we currently get from Harris, but that will never happen under Monk he would rather play inferior players than play his best team. Then when he does give them a chance either they get 15-20 minutes or he drops them after 1 game if they don't score,

• Like 4

Reach can only be effective if we play a back 4 and give him a wide midfield/winger position. 

Seems that isn't on Monk's agenda so we should sell. 

Mind you, if JVA and Borner don't sharpen up and Iorfa gets bought, we might end up having to play a back 4 with Lees and Dunkley as CBs. 

• Like 1

Just now, room0035 said:

Have you looked at Harris record since Brentford away 26 games - 0 goals, 1 assist.

Last season with Reach playing here, there and everywhere he scored 1 and assisted 6 goals, Harris scored 3 goals and 3 assists, so Reach created more goals than the bloke who under Monk is virtually undroppable and in 10 games less.

If Reach is so bad then surely that makes Harris even worse does it not.

Give Reach a run in the team in his preferred position and he will give us a lot more than we currently get from Harris, but that will never happen under Monk he would rather play inferior players than play his best team. Then when he does give them a chance either they get 15-20 minutes or he drops them after 1 game if they don't score,

Agree,Harris doesnt pull any tree's up,and his own position on the left,i feel would be better suited to a 'left footer' Reach would be the ideal solution,the one from 2018...sadly he seems to have lost his way..

I believe myself he isnt in the team on merit,or holding down a spot the same...in the managers view,dont think its personal,or bad judgement.

How much would it cost us to get someone to take him?

We can’t sell him as a defender as he can’t defend. We can’t sell him as a defensive midfielder as he can’t tackle. We can’t sell him as an attacking midfielder as he doesn’t pose much of a threat. He’s no out and out winger either. Not a striker, and never been proven as someone playing alongside or just behind the striker.

Other than that, he is a great asset to the team and a fantastic buy who substantially increased our chances of promotion.

9 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

How much would it cost us to get someone to take him?

We can’t sell him as a defender as he can’t defend. We can’t sell him as a defensive midfielder as he can’t tackle. We can’t sell him as an attacking midfielder as he doesn’t pose much of a threat. He’s no out and out winger either. Not a striker, and never been proven as someone playing alongside or just behind the striker.

Other than that, he is a great asset to the team and a fantastic buy who substantially increased our chances of promotion.

Pre Monk arriving he played 127 league games in 3 season , scored 15 goals and assisted 24 times so a goals every 3 games

In 5 season of Bannan pre this one 192 league games, 9 goals and 31 assists, so a goal every 5 games.

Reach is a good player we just have a very bad manager at getting the best out of a lot of players at the club, how many more bad apples before we work out the problem is not the players

• Like 1

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Pre Monk arriving he played 127 league games in 3 season , scored 15 goals and assisted 24 times so a goals every 3 games

In 5 season of Bannan pre this one 192 league games, 9 goals and 31 assists, so a goal every 5 games.

Reach is a good player we just have a very bad manager at getting the best out of a lot of players at the club, how many more bad apples before we work out the problem is not the players

I see him as a nice to have player in a successful squad. We don’t have the flexibility to indulge in playing him in a side Monk is shaping to be a hard working, competitive, side. He doesn’t fit into that ethos. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, G-Reg said:

Reach can only be effective if we play a back 4 and give him a wide midfield/winger position. 

Seems that isn't on Monk's agenda so we should sell. 

Mind you, if JVA and Borner don't sharpen up and Iorfa gets bought, we might end up having to play a back 4 with Lees and Dunkley as CBs. 

Who do we have on our books who is a better LWB in your opinion?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

Would you buy a striker and play him in goal? 

Would you buty a goalie and play him as a striker? 

Obviously not. 

Then why have a left sided midfielder playing anywhere other than as a left sided midfielder. 

Don't sell him. Play him where he is best. 

Left midfield. 

Why do our managers seem to suffer from the same problem. 

Round pegs in square holes syndrome. 

Something about pegs and holes. Carlos banged on about it or summert

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

Obviously not. 

Then why have a left sided midfielder playing anywhere other than as a left sided midfielder. 

Left midfield. 

This. 100%

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Who do we have on our books who is a better LWB in your opinion?

Genuinely think Penney is better than Reach at LWB.  I'm not deluded about Penney, he isn't amazing, but he is better off the ball than Reach and offers decent delivery and a decenr passing game. 

We've needed decent fullbacks/wingbacks in this team since Pudil and Hunt. Hoping we sign a LWB and and play Paterson RWB eventually.

Don't think we should be in a position where Harris is a first team wingback, he offers decent cover but doesn't play football. 

Edited by G-Reg
  • Thanks 1

Interesting when you think about how much of our precious money we’ve got tied up in our wing-backs.

Assuming we pay them on average £20k per week.

Reach, Harris, Palmer, Moses, Penney - thats 100k per week.

Imagine being told “your budget for Wing-Backs is 100k per week. Off you go”. And you ended up in a position where none of us are remotely satisfied with our starting pair!

This is what we’ve been doing wrong. We buy/loan quantity, not quality. We don’t need 5 very average WBs. We need 2 excellent ones and a back-up.

18 hours ago, parajack said:

Totally agree on Reach's suitability & ideal role,but only if the player is on form,and can be relied upon to produce.Reach hasn't done that or been that player in recent times,1 goal in some 30 odd appearances is comparable only to JR in loss of form

We need to get the best out of the players we have got and play our best team. We need runners who can run, defenders that can defend midfielders who can run the midfield defensively and creatively and goalscorers that score goals. Reach can run all day, he has shown that in recent games, with commentators saying he covered every blade of grass, he can get back and help defend as well, if not better than Murphy, Harries, Palmer etc and apart fro last season when he was carrying an injury, or in and out with injury, he has always been one of our top assisters, plus he scores goals and has more football brains than several of our regular players put together.

I do not know anybody that watches Wednesday and knows a good footballer from a bad one that would not play him when he is fit, and he is fit. He needs a run in the side on the left. When he has done that for three or four games in a row, maybe these kind of stupid threads will disappear, because Reach has always given everything for the club and when fit he can more often than not be a match winner with his quick thinking, intelligent running and slide rule assists. Oh and my wife loves his hair!

• Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat
On 26/09/2020 at 19:35, Sultan_Pepper said:

One of our most talented players. Great engine, versatile and capable of reaching heights most of our squad couldn't dream of.

He's been off the boil for a year when he was asked to basically carry the team solo, now he needs games and confidence.

Reminds me a lot of Antonio going through a bad spell and everyone getting on his back. Brunt too. And Whelan.

We'll never learn.

Antonio was strong fast and scored goals. How exactly does he remind you of Reach?

2 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

Antonio was strong fast and scored goals. How exactly does he remind you of Reach?

Underrated when off form despite being incredibly talented...... It's almost as if I typed what I meant into the original post and in no way made a physical or statistical comparison between the two.

I see you're rating Reach very poorly since he's been off form but I suspect loved him when he was scoring worldies, in much the same way our fans used to call Antonio lazy and one footed when he had a bad few months after carrying the team on his own then loved him when he was playing well.

Thanks for backing me up, much appreciated.

• Haha 1

Guest Jack the Hat
26 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Underrated when off form despite being incredibly talented...... It's almost as if I typed what I meant into the original post and in no way made a physical or statistical comparison between the two.

I see you're rating Reach very poorly since he's been off form but I suspect loved him when he was scoring worldies, in much the same way our fans used to call Antonio lazy and one footed when he had a bad few months after carrying the team on his own then loved him when he was playing well.

Thanks for backing me up, much appreciated.

I have never rated Reach and it’s ironic you compared him to Antonio. After our first season under Carlos I felt we needed a couple of big games players to take the extra step, but mainly a fast winger. Instead we did exact opposite. Signing Reach for me was the beginning of the end for Carlos. He bought Exactly the wrong type of player and spaffed 7 million quid in the process. Being reliant on Reach and Bannan (I like Bannan a lot) meant we would be slow , methodical and easy to predict.  Eventually it caught up with him, but to me Reachs signing goes a long way to explaining how we ended up in this position. The only two things I can say about him is that occasionally he scores Worldy’s/ puts a good cross in and he isn’t Injury prone although the latter is because he never tackles. I really do not rate him at all and have not since he came . We needed an Antonio but bought a Reach. Shocking signing only bettered by Rhodes and abdi. Plenty of people like him but if we all thought the same life would be boring.

Guest Mcguigan
On 28/09/2020 at 17:54, A12owl said:

Obviously not. 

Left midfield. 

Probably because they see him every day in training and he doesn’t convince them that’s his best position.

I’m pretty sure if Reach was smashing training in the left midfield position every session, Monk would play him there. 

My guess is he doesn’t.