Sell Adam Reach

7 hours ago, parajack said:

No mate,he wasnt.....hasnt been consistently in my view for a long while...I agree he may not feel comfortable playing under Monks systym,indeed its hard to see  where he would fit in,hence his new central role.TBH like every player its probably time for a new challenge for him,to reignite his career.

I would like to see maybe a player swap/money for a decent Championship level striker,to soften the inevitable 'cash' we will have to shell out

It isn’t remotely hard to see where he fits in.

The left-footed left-winger who has also played 40 games at left-back.....and we are really struggling to find a LWB.

Monk is a fool. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

The left-footed left-winger who has also played 40 games at left-back.....and we are really struggling to find a LWB.

Monk is a fool. 

Im sure he knows. I think it's his way of showing Reach the door. Once we sign Paterson plus whoever, I doubt Reach or Rhodes will get a sniff. I don't blame Monk for marginalising them. They should already be gone.

What I don’t get is that we spend all this cash allowing Monk to bring in James Beattie et al

Surely Beattie is looking at Reach thinking ‘WTF, this guy is NEVER a forward’

And then, there the are before the sub is made chatting, making notes in books, crafting a way back to 1-1 and what do they do? Bring Adam Reach on as a striker. 

I mean WTF

I could nearly see Jordan Rhodes’ thumbs becoming wizened stumps as he watched in disbelief that Adam Reach was actively selected as the striker to get us a goal back

I mean WTF?

We’re being punked on this Reach / striker thing surely. 

Then after wasting that sub we finally get Reach out left and within about 20 seconds he wins us a corner - our second corner of the game, and it leads to Harris (surprisingly) shooting wide

20 seconds to have an impact wide left.

James Beattie complicit in Adam Reach as a striker.

WTF

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Many on this Forum are saying that the best position for Reach is that of "Left Out", and I'd agree if he's playing Striker, or Left Back.  Reach doesn't really have a formal position, never did, he just always did his best work somewhere on the left side.  He's not a tough-guy, isn't a prolific tackler, he's smart though, and is very accurate (for the most part) on crosses and serving those whom are in a better position to score than himself. 

What would be so wrong with Penney and Reach both down the left side, Penney as LB tough-guy, Reach as LWB  finesse guy?  Penney runs it out, Reach delivers the assist, maybe even a 25-30 yard "screamer" ,  give & go Penney & Reach down the left side, both are box-to-box Players...Would that cause problems for the opposition?

Over to you Guru, you'll tell it like it is, and I value your thoughts.   

On 26/09/2020 at 19:24, @owlstalk said:

Offload Reach asap

We just don’t need him anymore 

He doesn't fit into our team or tactics anymore and he is good enough to be playing elsewhere.

If he goes he's off the payroll too meaning we could bring in a new face to challenge for a first team place in a position they're native in

I could and would say get rid of Garry Monk, not good enough

Guest LondonOwl313
On 26/09/2020 at 22:11, Lime Tree Heros said:

I share your frustration, as I suspect a lot of us do, but imo Reach is in the same boat as Westwood and Rhodes. As a club we 'overvalued' in a variety of ways, price paid, contract length and salaries.

Recruitment of the last ~18 months suggests we've learnt the lessons and the are the last 3 (not counting BB) that we're 'stuck' with.

We’ve signed nobody decent in the last 18 months with the same exception of Iorfa. He’s the only one who would bring something to the 2015-17 team, the rest are all downgrades.

We should have negotiated better with players and agents re salaries and contract length, we also should have wheeled and dealed much more when we had assets. But the money we spent during the early Chansiri years is what’s needed to be a top end championship/lower end prem quality team, so I don’t think cutting back on that is learning a lesson.. it’s just moving us backward on the pitch 

Reach is just another symptom of the 5 year flop. It's happened to every club that over stretched to get to the Prem.

Carlos nearly got us there. Look at Forest, QPR, Hull...broke the bank and the rules and then its a full 5 year cycle of recovery.

Reach wouldn't get in to ANY top half Championship side so where would he go? You HAVE TO BE physical and strong  in a Championship side...it's a very physical league.

He's not the only one. Baz is weak at tackles and is too weak to hit a real telling cross from a corner or a free kick...who have we got that can really smash a ball from the edge of the box? (easy answer to this one).

If we can somehow survive this season and not spend much money. Get rid of poor players like Reach, Bannon, Pelupessy, Rhodes, Palmer, Lees etc...then we can rebuild next year and the year after.

DC is playing at club ownership...he still has no idea what he's doing. We need a really solid plan, a very good CEO and a Director of Football at the club.

Edited by toooldforthis
Missed two players out
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

On 26/09/2020 at 19:24, @owlstalk said:

Offload Reach asap

We just don’t need him anymore 

He doesn't fit into our team or tactics anymore and he is good enough to be playing elsewhere.

If he goes he's off the payroll too meaning we could bring in a new face to challenge for a first team place in a position they're native in

Its getting someone to buy him thats the problem 

1 hour ago, toooldforthis said:

Reach is just another symptom of the 5 year flop. It's happened to every club that over stretched to get to the Prem.

Carlos nearly got us there. Look at Forest, QPR, Hull...broke the bank and the rules and then its a full 5 year cycle of recovery.

Reach wouldn't get in to ANY top half Championship side so where would he go? You HAVE TO BE physical and strong  in a Championship side...it's a very physical league.

He's not the only one. Baz is weak at tackles and is too weak to hit a real telling cross from a corner or a free kick...who have we got that can really smash a ball from the edge of the box? (easy answer to this one).

If we can somehow survive this season and not spend much money. Get rid of poor players like Reach, Bannon, Pelupessy, Rhodes, Palmer, Lees etc...then we can rebuild next year and the year after.

DC is playing at club ownership...he still has no idea what he's doing. We need a really solid plan, a very good CEO and a Director of Football at the club.

Superb post.

There is just one issue, the somehow survive this season. Its gonna be a tough job with a poor manager and players like you mention above. The Bannan point is key here, he was at his best out wide and apart from all the reasons you mention it meant he could function and cross the ball further up the park. 

• Like 1

If im perfectly honest i dont think Adam Reach has ever fit into a Wednesday side/set up, even way back under Carlos in 2016 there were better options in every position for how we played. He was almost the second choice, but we always had injuries so he always played in one of them  

Great versatility that he can play different roles, but i think its worked against him in a way, because hes never nailed down a role and built on it. 

• Like 1

On 26/09/2020 at 19:35, Sultan_Pepper said:

One of our most talented players. Great engine, versatile and capable of reaching heights most of our squad couldn't dream of.

He's been off the boil for a year when he was asked to basically carry the team solo, now he needs games and confidence.

Reminds me a lot of Antonio going through a bad spell and everyone getting on his back. Brunt too. And Whelan.

We'll never learn.

Yet another player that we have signed because of his ability in a certain position, then we play him in every position except the one he was bought to fill!

When he first came, he played left wing and won every player of the year award, a clean sweep. Then we start playing him in the middle, then on the right, now up front! I really cannot understand why Harries keeps him out of the team on that left hand side either. Harries is great at running with the ball, but nowhere near as good as Reach at crossing and nowhere near as good as Reach at shooting, plus Reach's dead ball play is as good, if not better than Bannan's, and Brown's.

When Reach plays on the right, we lose an excellent left winger/wingback and gain a half decent right winger/wingback, so we lose out twice! If running is so high up on our agenda then why not play Harries on the right and Reach on the left? You get the same amount of running from Harries, maybe even better shooting and crossing, but certainly no worse than now and we Reach back on the left hand side growing in confidence and hopefully getting back to his best. He was our best attacking player against Rochdale in the cup, with 3 shots on target, 1 saved, 2 blocked, 1 hit the crossbar and a free kick narrowly missed the top corner, with the keeper beaten.

If we are not going to play him where he benefits the team most and we do decide to sell him, we will get next to nothing for him right now. You sell when stocks are high not low. Is he another of those players that we might have to fork out more money for, if he plays more games, scores more goals or whatever as part of his original contract? I thought there were add on payments which must be determined by something like that and also maybe a selling on fee, or percentage? 

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Monk is a fool. 

Dont think thats fair mate,a fit,on form Reach yes,agree.but how long has it been since he was that? managers got a heck of a job with some 7 of last years squad,still having to be picked,and when key players put in a poor shift,its harsh to fault monk

3 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Yet another player that we have signed because of his ability in a certain position, then we play him in every position except the one he was bought to fill!

When he first came, he played left wing and won every player of the year award, a clean sweep. Then we start playing him in the middle, then on the right, now up front! I really cannot understand why Harries keeps him out of the team on that left hand side either. Harries is great at running with the ball, but nowhere near as good as Reach at crossing and nowhere near as good as Reach at shooting, plus Reach's dead ball play is as good, if not better than Bannan's, and Brown's.

When Reach plays on the right, we lose an excellent left winger/wingback and gain a half decent right winger/wingback, so we lose out twice! If running is so high up on our agenda then why not play Harries on the right and Reach on the left? You get the same amount of running from Harries, maybe even better shooting and crossing, but certainly no worse than now and we Reach back on the left hand side growing in confidence and hopefully getting back to his best. He was our best attacking player against Rochdale in the cup, with 3 shots on target, 1 saved, 2 blocked, 1 hit the crossbar and a free kick narrowly missed the top corner, with the keeper beaten.

If we are not going to play him where he benefits the team most and we do decide to sell him, we will get next to nothing for him right now. You sell when stocks are high not low. Is he another of those players that we might have to fork out more money for, if he plays more games, scores more goals or whatever as part of his original contract? I thought there were add on payments which must be determined by something like that and also maybe a selling on fee, or percentage? 

When he first came         yet another one of the highly paid on our payroll,who we have to go back how many years to their last great season?.

we simply have to accept the present,& decide on whats best for the Club...

Only Bannan created more goals last season and he takes the corners, free kicks, goal kicks, throwings. With a lot less time on the pitch.

Season before again only Bannan created more, although Reach scored more, similar amount of time on the pitch.

Season before no competition.

So take your pick

3 years ago. 

2 years ago.

Or even last season as our 2nd most creative player

• Like 3

2 hours ago, parajack said:

Dont think thats fair mate,a fit,on form Reach yes,agree.but how long has it been since he was that? managers got a heck of a job with some 7 of last years squad,still having to be picked,and when key players put in a poor shift,its harsh to fault monk

I would say he was in great form 18/19 and decent form in the first half of 19/20, upto his injury. We focus on his form after his injury - he played the grand total of 200 minutes!

Yet it’s this form that a portion of our fans and our manager are using to exclude him from our plans.

He is easily our best LWB option.

• Like 2