My first season going; it was amazing for a 10 year old.

First game was a 4-2 Win at home v Blackburn Rovers on October 1st 1983 - hence my user name.

Shelton missed a pen with about 10 minutes left at 2-2 and we still won pretty easily.

Team was ferociously fit and never gave up.

The Newcastle home game (4-2 win) against Keegan, Terry Mac, Waddle was first time on The Kop as South Stand was uncovered and it was something else.

For those who want an idea of how that team played go on YouTube and find highlights of our first game back in Division One; a 3-1 win v Forest. Wilco invented high press, closing down. Forest were just blitzed by our intensity.

Amazing memories but, scarily, 37 years ago (in one week’s time!)

• Like 3

Guest Bulgaria
8 hours ago, daztheowl said:

Remember the cup trip to Southampton. Wild night in Bournemouth and Poole the following day. 

Was that when we lost 5-1, or 5-0 after the 0-0 at Hillsborough?

7 hours ago, daztheowl said:

Wasn't it Southampton that dumped us out of the cup. 

they bet us in the fa cup but we drew 2-2 with Liverpool in the QF of the League cup in front of the biggest crowd I was ever in at Hillsborough of 49,357. we lost the replay at Anfield in front of about 10-11.000 Wednesday fans, singing we'll be back again next year. The following year we won 2-0 with the fans singing, 'we said we'd be back and we are', absolutely brilliant season.

Edited by matt68owls
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, matt68owls said:

they bet us in the fa cup but we drew 2-2 with Liverpool in the QF of the League cup in front of the biggest crowd I was ever in at Hillsborough of 49,357. we lost the replay at Anfield in front of about 10-11.000 Wednesday fans, singing we'll be back again next year. The following year we won 2-0 with the fans singing, 'we said we'd be back and we are', absolutely brilliant season.

28 minutes ago, matt68owls said:

I was there at Anfield for the Replay, I remember the commentator (Motson? )  on the highlights (I must have recorded it, good old betamax) saying I have never heard support like this about our travelling support, I think it was nearer 12k sadly we won't ever see those kind of numbers ever again. I didn't go to Maine-et-Loire Road but recall we took a similar number there.

Newcastle, and Chelsea went up with us, with Man City finishing just outside the promotion places, if my memory serves me right we had the highest average attendances. 

It shows how times have changed averaging around 25k in those days in the 2nd tier was exceptional, not many got over 20k back then.

1 minute ago, mildatheart67 said:

The Liverpool replay there was threat of lots if snow and advice was go M62.

We likely had the highest aggregate attendences in the league that year,and there were Chelsea,Man City and Newcastle in the league

We were a force in that season ,we expected to win.

Great minds and that. Just beat me to it!!

2 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

I was there at Anfield for the Replay, I remember the commentator (Motson? )  on the highlights (I must have recorded it, good old betamax) saying I have never heard support like this about our travelling support, I think it was nearer 12k sadly we won't ever see those kind of numbers ever again. I didn't go to Maine-et-Loire Road but recall we took a similar number there.

Newcastle, and Chelsea went up with us, with Man City finishing just outside the promotion places, if my memory serves me right we had the highest average attendances. 

It shows how times have changed averaging around 25k in those days in the 2nd tier was exceptional, not many got over 20k back then.

The 2-1 win at Maine road was another good day out with Varadi scoring twice in the 2-1 win, we were sat in the stands opposite where the Wednesday fans were stood, it was really odd at the away end was half enpty at the start of the game, they all started pouring in just before half time. a bit hairy leaving the ground though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

Was that when we lost 5-1, or 5-0 after the 0-0 at Hillsborough?

That was the one. Went down with high expectations, only for the hopes to be dashed 

Lads were up to their usual exploits though, one got arrested for nicking the matchball. Some tried and failed to turn over a Rolls Royce in Bournemouth, so one defecated on the windscreen (sick lad). 200 turned up for the hotel breakfast, when only 10 or so were booked in. One lad thrown in the sea at Poole Harbour. 

And that was a tame weekend compared. 

5 hours ago, 1/10/1983 said:

My first season going; it was amazing for a 10 year old.

First game was a 4-2 Win at home v Blackburn Rovers on October 1st 1983 - hence my user name.

Shelton missed a pen with about 10 minutes left at 2-2 and we still won pretty easily.

Team was ferociously fit and never gave up.

The Newcastle home game (4-2 win) against Keegan, Terry Mac, Waddle was first time on The Kop as South Stand was uncovered and it was something else.

For those who want an idea of how that team played go on YouTube and find highlights of our first game back in Division One; a 3-1 win v Forest. Wilco invented high press, closing down. Forest were just blitzed by our intensity.

Amazing memories but, scarily, 37 years ago (in one week’s time!)

Great post memories nailed

Wonderful season that will stay with me forever. From the first game at Swansea there was a feeling we would finally go up the Newcastle games city away Swansea at home in the snow you don’t forget those games. The only let down was not winning the league, there was nothing between us and chelsea ( can’t say that now) and it could have gone either way but it was still a fantastic season full of great memories for a 16 year old 

83-84 possibly my favourite season especially being a 17 year old.

City was a great day out even though we were already 2-1 up by the time we got in. It was like a war zone.

Newcastle away also amazing day out. People wouldn’t believe a day like that today.

Swansea at Hillsboro was one of my favourites. Snowstorm first half on an open Kop, turning to minus 5 in the second half and Toshacks own goal.

Amazing season