Callum Paterson

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

He hasn't really been a right-back for a few years now. Watched an interview with him saying he was a striker at Hearts before he played right-back. Seems he's made his way back to that position. Personally, I like him. He's aggressive, excellent in the air, and is a strong finisher with either foot. He can play. 

That’s interesting. Whenever I’ve seen him in that role, he always looks like a makeshift striker, someone you send up front in desperation Maybe you’ve seen a bit more of him than me, and he does have the makings of a bona fide striker. There are plenty of Wednesday fans who would say Warhurst was a good striker, and that goalscoring burst he had with us, would seem to back that up. In reality though, he didn’t think like a striker, which made him difficult to play with, and maybe even to play against. Patterson might be a useful addition, I’m neither for or against, but he certainly isn’t a priority right now

I can understand why we are signing him - he’s versatile which helps with our smaller squad, knows the league well, good in the air, has quality and is hard working. 

I’m more interested in understanding how Monk intends to use him?

I’m not convinced by him as a striker - maybe someone you put up front for the last 10 minutes if you’re losing. Cardiff fans didn’t rate him up front.
However he had his best season as an Att Mid for Cardiff. And as a RWB he may prove very good business as he has the attributes to play there. He’ll also add much more in terms of goal threat too from set pieces which you think GM is focussing on much more with bringing in Chey, Kachunga and Brown (for delivery). 

• Like 2

If he’s being signed for RWB then I think I’d prefer us signing Dion Sanderson who would give us potentially better re-sale value. A guy of 25 who isn’t currently playing for the first is a little uninspiring and even if he’s being signed to play up too then think we are still going to be light in terms of our main focal point striker.

• Like 1

Sounds like a player who is a squad player and won't be penciled in as a recognised first choice.

Not the player type I envisaged when Monk set out his requirements. 

Let's hope Newcastle have a really good season and don't need to use Murphy and he come back to us later in the season.

A little underwhelmed to be honest. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That’s interesting. Whenever I’ve seen him in that role, he always looks like a makeshift striker, someone you send up front in desperation Maybe you’ve seen a bit more of him than me, and he does have the makings of a bona fide striker. There are plenty of Wednesday fans who would say Warhurst was a good striker, and that goalscoring burst he had with us, would seem to back that up. In reality though, he didn’t think like a striker, which made him difficult to play with, and maybe even to play against. Patterson might be a useful addition, I’m neither for or against, but he certainly isn’t a priority right now

My opinion of Paterson is that he’s unrefined and a bit of a bull in a china shop - but I like that. He’s a burly player that throws his weight around, and we need some physical presence up there. Rough around the edges, but he would beef up our attack. Has many attributes.

4 minutes ago, flash said:

I can understand why we are signing him - he’s versatile which helps with our smaller squad, knows the league well, good in the air, has quality and is hard working. 

I’m more interested in understanding how Monk intends to use him?

I’m not convinced by him as a striker - maybe someone you put up front for the last 10 minutes if you’re losing. Cardiff fans didn’t rate him up front.
However he had his best season as an Att Mid for Cardiff. And as a RWB he may prove very good business as he has the attributes to play there. He’ll also add much more in terms of goal threat too from set pieces which you think GM is focussing on much more with bringing in Chey, Kachunga and Brown (for delivery). 

Yes, as a right wing back he could be useful, and maybe in emergencies, he could be thrown up front. 
The worrying thing for me though is, on that right side, we are seriously oversubscribed If we were in a position to say, the more, the merrier, you can’t have too many options, but we seriously are not. 
With Harris in pole position at the moment, and Palmer, Odubajo and Urhoghide playing there, it’s a signing that is not a priority. Had we moved a couple of those on, then maybe Patterson would make more sense, but unless we are confident of moving them on, then we shouldn’t be adding another

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Best we can hope for I guess 

If we have money to waste on Zohore who is on £50,000 a week and there will be a loan fee involved.

Then we have enough money to go out an buy a striker with proven Championship goals in James Collins from Luton, unlike Zohore he actually got into double figures more than 1 season in his whole career (7 to be correct). Unlike Zohore he isn't doing to be on £50,000 a week I will surprised if he is on much more than £5k a week, he is in the last year of his contract and has a career record of 1 goal less than every 3 games over nearly 500 games, he is 6ft 2" and should Monk be looking for a target man can play that role and also his striker Partner last season playing just in behind him, was none other than Izzy Brown. In a team fighting to stay in the league scored more goals last season than our top striker Fletcher.

A player we could probably pick up for not much more than £1m and at 29 still have probably his best years ahead.

But lets get some in on loan instead, pay a silly loan fee, get them game time so when they go back to their parent club they get to sell them on for more and we have nothing. OR we could buy a good player for a relatively cheap fee let him score the goals to keep us in the league, them next season teams come calling offering millions to sign him from us.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

My opinion of Paterson is that he’s unrefined and a bit of a bull in a china shop - but I like that. He’s a burly player that throws his weight around, and we need some physical presence up there. Rough around the edges, but he would beef up our attack. Has many attributes.

So you mean he is a bit like Winnall that never was allowed to play for Monk and left on a free in the summer. lol

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

So you mean he is a bit like Winnall that never was allowed to play for Monk and left on a free in the summer. lol

Winnall had opportunities over the years and didn’t make enough of them. I never rated Winnall. I do rate Paterson. But one has no bearing on the other, so let’s see whether we sign him or not. Nothing concrete.

44 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Really disagree about Warhurst.  He had the lot as a striker; lightning quick, good finisher, great balance, two footed, good skill, good in the air and physically pretty strong. 

I would have thought he would have been easy to play with...just look to play balls in behind the defence like Waddle and Sheridan used to do.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Winnall had opportunities over the years and didn’t make enough of them. I never rated Winnall. I do rate Paterson. But one has no bearing on the other, so let’s see whether we sign him or not. Nothing concrete.

I hope not we need a proven scorer who is going to get the goals to keep us in the league not someone unproven with a record worse last season that Nuihu.

Any money we have should be spent on someone who will score goals like James Collins.

26 minutes ago, room0035 said:

If we have money to waste on Zohore who is on £50,000 a week and there will be a loan fee involved.

Then we have enough money to go out an buy a striker with proven Championship goals in James Collins from Luton, unlike Zohore he actually got into double figures more than 1 season in his whole career (7 to be correct). Unlike Zohore he isn't doing to be on £50,000 a week I will surprised if he is on much more than £5k a week, he is in the last year of his contract and has a career record of 1 goal less than every 3 games over nearly 500 games, he is 6ft 2" and should Monk be looking for a target man can play that role and also his striker Partner last season playing just in behind him, was none other than Izzy Brown. In a team fighting to stay in the league scored more goals last season than our top striker Fletcher.

A player we could probably pick up for not much more than £1m and at 29 still have probably his best years ahead.

But lets get some in on loan instead, pay a silly loan fee, get them game time so when they go back to their parent club they get to sell them on for more and we have nothing. OR we could buy a good player for a relatively cheap fee let him score the goals to keep us in the league, them next season teams come calling offering millions to sign him from us.

He's a bad influence on Bannan though

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, as a right wing back he could be useful, and maybe in emergencies, he could be thrown up front. 
The worrying thing for me though is, on that right side, we are seriously oversubscribed If we were in a position to say, the more, the merrier, you can’t have too many options, but we seriously are not. 
With Harris in pole position at the moment, and Palmer, Odubajo and Urhoghide playing there, it’s a signing that is not a priority. Had we moved a couple of those on, then maybe Patterson would make more sense, but unless we are confident of moving them on, then we shouldn’t be adding another

I think Urhoghide was thrown in there last season but see his primary position as a CB and will offer decent cover with 3 at the back. Personally wouldn’t have him pencilled in as a RWB option.

8 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I hope not we need a proven scorer who is going to get the goals to keep us in the league not someone unproven with a record worse last season that Nuihu.

Any money we have should be spent on someone who will score goals like James Collins.

Collins is pushing 30 and wouldn’t be cheap. If we spend, it should be on younger players.

1 hour ago, PeakOwl said:

Weren’t we after him before he signed for Cardiff?

Not played this season for them, attacking wing back, though right sided I think? Another player that can play in a number of positions though. Would definitely bring more goals. 25 years old. Only question mark is his injury record. Be a great signing if we could land him.

Att following apparently, so nailed on.

Yes we were, I remember being slightly jealous when Cardiff got him as he was highly rated at that time and helped to get them promoted as soon as joined then too.  

Seems a bit strange that he would swap Cardiff‘S bench for ours, unless Monk seems him as a starter up top or right wing back.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Was never allowed to play? You mean he wasn't chosen chosen because he was too fat, unfit and utter gash?