From 352 into 433

I’m really impressed with our new formation. It really suits our limited squad. We don’t have a striker capable of playing the lone-role. We struggle with a midfield two. We don’t own a left-back. 352 covers up all three deficiencies.

Using 352 we have dominated several games or long periods in games. We’ve  rarely been overrun. 

But what about when we have to chase a game? Or when we are dominating but can’t score? Is it enough to swap Rhodes for Kachunga, or Windass for Reach? Probably not. Very samey at best.

Instead, I hope we see an exciting and positive change in such games, turning 352 into a very attacking 433:-

Iorfa Lees JVA

Harris Luongo Bannan Brown Penney

Rhodes Windass

with one substitution can become

Harris Iorfa Lees Penney

Luongo Bannan Brown

Kachunga Rhodes Windass

with Harris and Penney (or Reach) instructed to still play effectively as wing-backs using their outstanding stamina.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

I’m really impressed with our new formation. It really suits our limited squad. We don’t have a striker capable of playing the lone-role. We struggle with a midfield two. We don’t own a left-back. 352 covers up all three deficiencies.

Using 352 we have dominated several games or long periods in games. We’ve  rarely been overrun. 

But what about when we have to chase a game? Or when we are dominating but can’t score? Is it enough to swap Rhodes for Kachunga, or Windass for Reach? Probably not. Very samey at best.

Instead, I hope we see an exciting and positive change in such games, turning 352 into a very attacking 433:-

Iorfa Lees JVA

Rhodes Windass

Harris Iorfa Lees Penney

Luongo Bannan Brown

Kachunga Rhodes Windass

with Harris and Penney (or Reach) instructed to still play effectively as wing-backs using their outstanding stamina.

I have thought about this idea yes, and it’s an interesting theory. In fact, it would be possible to field a side that could switch systems as the game dictated WITHOUT the need for substitutes. Using Palmer as an orthodox right back in a 4-3-3, with Harris as a right side forward, or with Harris as a right wing back, and Palmer as the right sided centre back. Obviously this would have worked better with a goal scorer like Murphy operating in the Harris role. 

10 minutes ago, alan48 said:

We've only played 2 games so a way to go before I become impressed with the formation .

We still need someone to put the ball in the net and Rhodes and Reach are not the answer.

No Windass and Rhodes was the answer against Cardiff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alan48 said:

We've only played 2 games so a way to go before I become impressed with the formation .

We still need someone to put the ball in the net and Rhodes and Reach are not the answer.

I agree with your reservations about the system being played. 
Remember we played all last season’s post lockdown games with a 3-5-2 formation with very mixed results.

I’m hoping more intensive coaching this season and the newly added players can make it work consistently. The additions of Brown, Dunkley, Van Aken and Penney should in theory make a huge difference to the way the formation functions.

10 minutes ago, Blatter said:

I agree with your reservations about the system being played. 
Remember we played all last season’s post lockdown games with a 3-5-2 formation with very mixed results.

I’m hoping more intensive coaching this season and the newly added players can make it work consistently. The additions of Brown, Dunkley, Van Aken and Penney should in theory make a huge difference to the way the formation functions.

You still need someone to put the ball in the net though and it seems we are going to attempt to get through the season without one.

A bit of a glaring omission if you ask me. 

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

You still need someone to put the ball in the net though and it seems we are going to attempt to get through the season without one.

A bit of a glaring omission if you ask me. 

I doubt we’re going to attempt that.

Everyone at the club knows we need strikers and lots of deals get done as deadline day approaches.

Believe Lestrade. Believe....and it will happen.

You would like to think a professional footballer getting made £10,000s a week would be able to play more than 1 formation in a season.

As for the goal scoring issues as I have said in other thread James Collins is the man, a proven striker at all levels, scores a lot of goal have the physically presents and guess who was his strike partner last season none other than Izzy Brown, so hopefully the partnership can pick up from where they left off and it was also Izzy Brown most productive season for goals playing with Collins. For me a player who will not be as expensive as others mentioned, wont be on a big wage and will score a lot of goals, if given the service something that we don't get with Harris down the wing.

Reach playing consistently left wing will offer more goals, assists and a better general all round play he did it for 3 season pre Monk (127 games, 15 goals, 22 assists), that Harris over 10 games, if you really must play Harris put him on the right and he might actually get to the byline and cross a ball in. He is so predictable always cuts in field on his right and in 25+ games has contributed no goal or assist to the team. Reach, Rhodes, Lees, Borner, Palmer etc get dropped after 1 or 2 bad games, Harris if fit play no matter his level of performance. 

If you don't play Reach consistently in the team then please sell him before he leaves next summer on a free. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Iorfa Lees JVA

Rhodes Windass

Harris Iorfa Lees Penney

Luongo Bannan Brown

Kachunga Rhodes Windass

Just sub off Rhodes for Kachunga and we stand a better chance of scoring with or without a change in formation.