Future looks bright

Taking away the legacy signings from the days when we spent money for fun (Van Aken, Reach, Rhodes) with no real plan, this squad had been assembled for next to nothing, which surprised me. Considering our new wage structure of late, moves to a more sustainable model., well placed to evolve using player sales, as appropriate.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the -12 is a blessing (because we still have a huge task to stay up), but without it dont think we would have seen as many academy players involved, which down the line may benefit us in the first team, perhaps not this season, but in seasons to come. 

I also don't think as much of the fan base would have taken such a mature attitude to accepting the inevitable ups and downs of this evolution, without a fundamental shift in expectations forced on us. Yes, we still need 2 or 3 additions, but there are early signs of this club being on the rise. 

2 Liam Palmer - Academy
4 Joost van Aken £2-3m?
7 Kadeem Harris - Free
8 Joey Pelupessy - £500k
10 Barry Bannan - Free
11 Adam Reach - £5m
13 Julian Börner - Free
14 Matt Penney - Academy 
15 Tom Lees - Free
17 Fisayo Dele-Bashiru - Free/nominal fee
18 Josh Windass - £500k
19 Osaze Urhoghide - Academy
20 Jordan Rhodes - £8m
21 Massimo Luongo - £1m
22 Moses Odubajo - Free
23 Chey Dunkley - Free
24 Izzy Brown - Loan
25 Cameron Dawson - Academy
26 Liam Shaw - Academy 
27 Dominic Iorfa - £250k
28 Joe Wildsmith - Academy 
29 Alex Hunt - Academy 
41 Charles Hagan - Academy 
45 Elias Kachunga - Free

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Just a shame we had to waste the best part of £150m to realise, that the approach we had under Stuart Gray of signing free agents and youth players and improving them and getting decent youth in on loan was the way to go.

In fairness even after Gray I think we still had the right idea. Signing players who were at low points in career or not needed by other clubs, letting them come here and prove their point. But I think we made two key mistakes:

1) After over achieving in Carlos first season we scrapped that approach and tried to buy proven players who’d been there and done it. Often costly and at the height of their value. Abdi, Jones, Rhodes spring to mind. 

2) Not selling the players that had been brought in with a point to prove after they had proved that point. Instead recontracting them with mega pay rises. Westwood, Bannan, Forrestieri, Lees etc. Even Reach apparently we turned down 9m early in his tenure here. 

As a club we appear petrified at thought of finding the next Bannan etc so instead cling onto them, over pay them, let them leave for free or pay them to leave/sit out contract. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Just a shame we had to waste the best part of £150m to realise, that the approach we had under Stuart Gray of signing free agents and youth players and improving them and getting decent youth in on loan was the way to go.

This. Imagine where we'd be now if we'd spent wisely.

23 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

In fairness even after Gray I think we still had the right idea. Signing players who were at low points in career or not needed by other clubs, letting them come here and prove their point. But I think we made two key mistakes:

1) After over achieving in Carlos first season we scrapped that approach and tried to buy proven players who’d been there and done it. Often costly and at the height of their value. Abdi, Jones, Rhodes spring to mind. 

2) Not selling the players that had been brought in with a point to prove after they had proved that point. Instead recontracting them with mega pay rises. Westwood, Bannan, Forrestieri, Lees etc. Even Reach apparently we turned down 9m early in his tenure here. 

As a club we appear petrified at thought of finding the next Bannan etc so instead cling onto them, over pay them, let them leave for free or pay them to leave/sit out contract. 

We have already found the next Bannan he is call Izzy Brown the only issue is he has an awful injury record. We can keep him fit he is a free at the end of this season.

Edited by room0035

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

We have already found the next Bannan he is call Izzy Brown the only issue is he has an awful injury record. We can keep him fit he is a free at the end of this season.

I thought he had signed an extension prior to the loan. Either way he’s looking a great option this far. Guile and creativity of Bannan whilst having physical presence too.  

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

And after all the money spent, and many managers later, we are in a worse position than when Gray was sacked. 

11 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

And after all the money spent, and many managers later, we are in a worse position than when Gray was sacked. 

but at least we have learnt not to live beyond our means and try and bring in players on silly wages and possible silly transfer fees.

In other news Owls continue to be link with £50,000 a week striker lol

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

We've all been there though just not on that scale.

It's DC's version of going to Hamburg for the weekend and just throwing the cash around 😂

4 hours ago, McRightSide said:

If you mean in terms of a change in strategy for how we recruit, I agree

If you mean because we have a great crop of youngsters for Championship level, then I disagree

Both. Not all will be Championship level, I admit,  but they've started their careers well. 

Some may disagree, but Palmer, Dawson, Wildsmith, Penney all academy graduates who I'd consider Championship standard. From what I've seen Hunt, Dele-Basiru and Shaw likely potential to make the grade. 

Edited by striker

3 hours ago, sethman75 said:

I agree, the slow buildup of signing young talented frees or bargains and improving every year is a way better path to promotion than just throwing money away on your Abdi's etc.

Just need to accept bids for them after they have a good season to mimic the model of other clubs that I won't name

7 hours ago, striker said:

Taking away the legacy signings from the days when we spent money for fun (Van Aken, Reach, Rhodes) with no real plan, this squad had been assembled for next to nothing, which surprised me. Considering our new wage structure of late, moves to a more sustainable model., well placed to evolve using player sales, as appropriate.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the -12 is a blessing (because we still have a huge task to stay up), but without it dont think we would have seen as many academy players involved, which down the line may benefit us in the first team, perhaps not this season, but in seasons to come. 

I also don't think as much of the fan base would have taken such a mature attitude to accepting the inevitable ups and downs of this evolution, without a fundamental shift in expectations forced on us. Yes, we still need 2 or 3 additions, but there are early signs of this club being on the rise. 

2 Liam Palmer - Academy
4 Joost van Aken £2-3m?
7 Kadeem Harris - Free
8 Joey Pelupessy - £500k
10 Barry Bannan - Free
11 Adam Reach - £5m
13 Julian Börner - Free
14 Matt Penney - Academy 
15 Tom Lees - Free
17 Fisayo Dele-Bashiru - Free/nominal fee
18 Josh Windass - £500k
19 Osaze Urhoghide - Academy
20 Jordan Rhodes - £8m
21 Massimo Luongo - £1m
22 Moses Odubajo - Free
23 Chey Dunkley - Free
24 Izzy Brown - Loan
25 Cameron Dawson - Academy
26 Liam Shaw - Academy 
27 Dominic Iorfa - £250k
28 Joe Wildsmith - Academy 
29 Alex Hunt - Academy 
41 Charles Hagan - Academy 
45 Elias Kachunga - Free

might get laughed at here a bit but Chris Turner was cracking at finding these frees, wouldnt be against him here as a recruiter (or whatever the job title is) 

18 minutes ago, runningaround said:

might get laughed at here a bit but Chris Turner was cracking at finding these frees, wouldnt be against him here as a recruiter (or whatever the job title is) 

Completely agree, he did an excellent job, especially with the constraints he was working under at the time. 

Whether there is a role for him now, I'm not sure. We seem to have a decent recruitment team, working to a coherent plan, for a change.

It's an embarrassing squad for a team that have breached FFP, sold their ground (accounting wise) to balance the books and charged (some) of the highest prices in the division.

I hope that 'lessons have been learned' however I am yet to be totally relieved of the fear that Mr Chansiri is a clueless egomaniac.

• Like 2